inTank Media Baskets

Does AIO design work for large tanks?

AquaVaj

For smaller tanks they make perfect sense but it seems as you increase tank dims the design becomes increasingly harder to do maintenance on. Everything is in the back so you always need to reach over the tank. They tend to sit higher too because they're shallower so the stand needs to be taller for a good viewing level. There's also the lights that might get in the way as you step up higher on a stool to reach the back.

Mine is only 40g and I'm already feeling it. Luckily I have my tank against the stairway wall so I can go up and reach through the rail to access some of the rear compartments.  Still I don't even want to think of having to replace the return pump if it goes out. I know IM made a 80g and even a 120g AIO. I wonder how maintenance is on those.

Christopher Marks

Those are some good points, those small chambers become more difficult to navigate as the tank itself gets larger. I built a 90 gallon AIO back in 2002, the internal filter was centered in the middle of the back wall of the tank, maybe 12" x 4", it essentially acted as a surface skimmer, media rack, and return. At 24" deep, I could hardly fit my hand in there when the tank was dry, let alone when it was running. Thankfully nothing ever had to get pulled out of there, it would have been a real headache.