Pod Your Reef

Kenya tree sprouting up from nowhere?!?

Phill2222

I have one Kenya tree coral in my tank and out of the blue I’ve noticed I large peice and a smaller peice in my rock work, one is by my Duncan’s which are growing new heads and the Kenya tree is close to and the other is near my green zoos. Both are in red circles and B423413D-9060-4DC8-B067-50491EDD63B4.thumb.png.41bee50e4afdea3986a86ca02dfce62b.pngmain colony is pointed out it goes further to the left about 3-4 inches. I don’t want a Kenya tree to kill my more prized Duncan or my more premium zoos. Kenya tree is great and all one of my first leathers but much less eye catching. I don’t know what to do. I put my gsp on an island to prevent the same thing. Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

ChristopherDido

They will drop new peices whenever they feel like it, if they are happy and growing. The only real solution from when I had them in my classroom tank is to remove the colony. I'm sure someone else may have a better idea than me, as I'm still fairly New to this hobby. Plus side is it's clearly happy if it's growing and reproducing! 

• Thanks 1

Kenya tree's will drop branches randomly which will float around the tank until they take root.  You'll need to watch for them and just pick them out.  As the coral grows you'll also need to cut branches off to keep it under control.  They can get large, quick.  I just use a pair of scissors to clip branches when necessary.