Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need to know if I'm f#*cking up or not

darklordzulu

darklordzulu

Hey everyone so I've posted on here before it's been a full month since I cycled my tank with a clown fish so two and a half months. Just added a cuc a cleaner shrimp four nassarius snails and four Mexican turbo snails. My big question is what is going on with the snails. At first they all seemed fine went to some part of the tank the Nas. Went under the sand kept there little organs out. After a few days and two feedings the shrimp molted he seems to hide most of the time only comes out to eat and at night occasionally just coming out for no reason  and two turbo snails keep sticking to the top of the tank one even comes out of the water on and off. The turbos just don't seem to be moving very much and one Nas snail looks dead but the rest haven't come to eat it so maybe it's just dying ? I read online snails can just be crazy and not make sense.  Tested the water yesterday before water change everything was good  temp stays from 77.4 to 77.8 pH 8.2  a little low I keep using a buffer in 8.4 in my sump. Nitrite 0 nitrates 0 ammonia .25 I'm guessing idk .25 and .5 are super close in color to me. Any advice from seasoned experienced fish enthusiasts would be greatly appreciated. If your not very knowledgeable please don't respond or at least let me no so I don't take advice from someone who thinks they can help ,😂 thank you  pictures are the questionable dead Nas snail. The turbo snails hiding at the top and just general pics of the current tank for better help 

15293433558791288217040.jpg

1529343422541262544038.jpg

1529343460898482321403.jpg

15293434765492108253713.jpg

1529343487496359356427.jpg

1529343516966984317876.jpg

Sailingeric

I have a couple turbo snails, a couple of shrimp and some trocus and conch snails.  They all almost always are active when the lights are out.  The best thing to do is try to note where the snails are and then check the next day to see if the moved or not.  My two peppermint shrimps found a hole after a week and I only see them stick their heads out once a week or so.  I think you are fine.  

This is all normal behavior.

Snails don't move 24/7.

The purpose of them is to clean up algae and detritus- they eat this when the want.

Stop buffering for ph.

Number one rule- don't chase ph and don't do anything to alter it besides opening a window or removing a lid from the tank.

All other methods are dangerous as trying to change ph means screwing with other parameters. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, darklordzulu said:

Hey everyone so I've posted on here before it's been a full month since I cycled my tank with a clown fish so two and a half months. Just added a cuc a cleaner shrimp four nassarius snails and four Mexican turbo snails. My big question is what is going on with the snails. At first they all seemed fine went to some part of the tank the Nas. Went under the sand kept there little organs out. After a few days and two feedings the shrimp molted he seems to hide most of the time only comes out to eat and at night occasionally just coming out for no reason  and two turbo snails keep sticking to the top of the tank one even comes out of the water on and off. The turbos just don't seem to be moving very much and one Nas snail looks dead but the rest haven't come to eat it so maybe it's just dying ? I read online snails can just be crazy and not make sense.  Tested the water yesterday before water change everything was good  temp stays from 77.4 to 77.8 pH 8.2  a little low I keep using a buffer in 8.4 in my sump. Nitrite 0 nitrates 0 ammonia .25 I'm guessing idk .25 and .5 are super close in color to me. Any advice from seasoned experienced fish enthusiasts would be greatly appreciated. If your not very knowledgeable please don't respond or at least let me no so I don't take advice from someone who thinks they can help ,😂 thank you  pictures are the questionable dead Nas snail. The turbo snails hiding at the top and just general pics of the current tank for better help 

15293433558791288217040.jpg

1529343422541262544038.jpg

1529343460898482321403.jpg

15293434765492108253713.jpg

1529343487496359356427.jpg

Snails are sketchy on a good day. I wouldn’t worry too much about them because sometimes they just die. If you saw them all at the water line I would be worried but this all seems normal. 

Cleaner shrimps really boil down to personality..... I’ve had some that never come out and one that is out always. 

As @Clown79 said, do not chase ph. It will only break your heart. 🙂

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

This is all normal behavior.

Snails don't move 24/7.

The purpose of them is to clean up algae and detritus- they eat this when the want.

Stop buffering for ph.

Number one rule- don't chase ph and don't do anything to alter it besides opening a window or removing a lid from the tank.

All other methods are dangerous as trying to change ph means screwing with other parameters. 

I was going to say the same thing about the buffer.. I did that once with seachem marine buffer.  Looked like good stuff and it even said wouldn't raise the ph more that 8.3 or some shit like that.. it does however mess with your alkalinity a bunch.. so anyways against the advice of people on this forum I used it to bring my ph up and I pretty much crashed my tank.. long story short I don't test ph anymore and monitor calcium and mag , but pay extreme attention to alklinty and my coral has been great since..

Oh and fyi snails are lazy most of the time mine are on the very top of the tank

• Like 2
1 hour ago, darklordzulu said:

ammonia .25 I'm guessing idk .25 and .5 are super close in color to me.

I'd actually interpret that color as undetectable.  Definitely not 0.50 ppm.  API's ammonia kit responds to slight traces of ammonia; and there are typically minute traces of ammonia in our tanks that have livestock (and even in the ocean).  So while maybe not 0.000 ppm, I wouldn't worry if I saw that result in my reef (0.025 ppm looks more green than what I see there).

• Like 1