Coral Vue Hydros

Is this Favia coral?

fishkeepersaltnfresh

fishkeepersaltnfresh

Oops.. He looked pretty good at the LFS. maybe the lights played part. I did a fresh water dip after I got him. Would that cause the coral to look battered?

It was for few seconds... As soon as I put it into freshwater, once black pest with many legs dislodged from it. 

Hope it pulls through.

Was the flesh not pulled all the way in when you did the dip?  LPS in general doesn't like freshwater dips so much because their tissues are fairly sensitive.  The skeleton looks more like a lepto to me but until it fleshens back up I can't say for sure.  Coral ID was never my strong point.   Is this what it looks like when it was looking healthy at the LFS?  I don't think favias have lines quite so close together when the flesh is fully out and healthy, where as leptoseris does look at way even when totally healthy.

fishkeepersaltnfresh

Even I am leaning a bit towards Lepto looking at all the images on internet. I wanted a LPS as I am unable to keep SPS.

If it is indeed a Lepto, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

The frag looked healthy at LFS. I think the fresh water dip did not go well... 

Keep it low in the tank, like on the sandbed.  Hopefully it fleshens back up some.  If it does take some more pictures and we might be able to ID better for you.  

• Like 1

A fresh water dip of a couple seconds shouldn't cause this.

It looks like the flesh has been receding for a while.

It looks like a leptoseris.

I'd put it in low flow low light to help it repair itself.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

Today's shot. Looks more like Lepto. Can you identify it positively? 

20180621_090207.jpg

I have no doubt in my mind that it's a lepto, that's why I posted the earlier id. In my opinion, some of the most underrated, but coolest corals because of all the varieties they come in and how hardy they typically are 🙂

• Like 1
fishkeepersaltnfresh
50 minutes ago, hinnenkm said:

I have no doubt in my mind that it's a lepto, that's why I posted the earlier id. In my opinion, some of the most underrated, but coolest corals because of all the varieties they come in and how hardy they typically are 🙂

Thanks. DO you know what specific kind of Lepto?

fishkeepersaltnfresh
41 minutes ago, specore said:

That was a quick recovery

Fingers crossed. I have him on the sandbed wedged between 2 rocks. Hoping to move glue him to a rock later this week.

For some reason, I think that somehow I damaged him (either during tansit or prolonged freshwater dip ~30seconds)

1 hour ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

Thanks. DO you know what specific kind of Lepto?

No, I just know that a lot of the colors have different names depending on who sells them...

1 hour ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

Fingers crossed. I have him on the sandbed wedged between 2 rocks. Hoping to move glue him to a rock later this week.

For some reason, I think that somehow I damaged him (either during tansit or prolonged freshwater dip ~30seconds)

Why'd you freshwater dip??

• Like 1
fishkeepersaltnfresh
27 minutes ago, hinnenkm said:

No, I just know that a lot of the colors have different names depending on who sells them...

Why'd you freshwater dip??

This was the 1st time i did freshwater dip. Been reading a lot. SO did it.

In a way, it helped me . On doing a freshwater dip, a black worm like thing with many legs got dislodged from the coral. Dont know if it was a harmful pest or not.  If I ever do a freshwater dip again, it will be for a real short duration.

5 hours ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

This was the 1st time i did freshwater dip. Been reading a lot. SO did it.

In a way, it helped me . On doing a freshwater dip, a black worm like thing with many legs got dislodged from the coral. Dont know if it was a harmful pest or not.  If I ever do a freshwater dip again, it will be for a real short duration.

I would just use coral dip if I were you, not quite sure what effect freshwater dip would have on other corals?

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Looks like my ‘fake jackolantern’ Leptoseris.  Look at Jason Fox Corals for a nice picture, that is where mine came from.  There are lots of lepto’s that look similar.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...