ReefCleaners.org

The leap from freshwater

Issani

I’ve been sitting against the wall staring at my 40 gallon breeder aquarium, and the thought popped into my head, how about Saltwater? I understand that the chemistry is vastly different, and I’m very experienced with freshwater, however saltwater intimidates me. My question is would it be possibly to turn this 40 gallon GLASS not ACRYLIC into a good saltwater aquarium, any information/suggestions would help, but my knowledge on saltwater is limited. I don’t not wish to heavily stock this aquarium because I understand that these creatures are delicate and require a more in depth knowledge. 

• Like 1
LogistcalReefer

Salt isn't that hard I made the switch to try it in December.  Just take your time and don't rush things.  

Something as simple as a large hob such as a ac110 or tidel would cover you for mechanical and chemical filtration.  If light stock  can get by without a skimmer.  Light wise something as simple as a Chinese black box would cover you there.  

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com!

A 40 breeder is one of the more popular standard aquariums to build a reef tank.  It's a good size that gives you a few options on fish, coral, and aquascapes.  A simple HOB filter, a couple of powerheads, heater, and decent light will get you started.  Sure there's a bit more (live rock, sand, salt, distilled or RO/DI water, test kits, etc, etc).

I have RODI unit on an auto shut off, im not sure how I wanna stock, I might just want to do just corals and inverts, i have heaters on hand, test kits covered, Im just not entirely sure how I want to cycle and what method would be most appropriate, I’m very against using fish to cycle aquariums. However for reef salt what would you recommend? I’ve had mixed reviews on what brand is best.

5 hours ago, Issani said:

I’ve been sitting against the wall staring at my 40 gallon breeder aquarium, and the thought popped into my head, how about Saltwater? I understand that the chemistry is vastly different, and I’m very experienced with freshwater, however saltwater intimidates me. My question is would it be possibly to turn this 40 gallon GLASS not ACRYLIC into a good saltwater aquarium, any information/suggestions would help, but my knowledge on saltwater is limited. I don’t not wish to heavily stock this aquarium because I understand that these creatures are delicate and require a more in depth knowledge. 

Welcome to the hobby / adiction.  I have been reefing for 45 years and I haven’t burned out.  As @seabass said, keep it simple.  I am big on natural filtration and on  using Dynamic Equilibrium (Laws of Nature) to operate my reef tanks.   One example of Dynamic Equilibrium happens during lights out as pH in bulk water drops to 8.05 with aroggonite beginning to dissolve calcium and trace minerals.  Another example of Dynamic Equilibrium happens when carbon dioxide solubility shifts, absorbing more carbon dioxide gas as carbonate & bicarbonate alkalinity are maintained.  So, carbon dioxide as an inert gas maintains alkalinity which combines with photosynthesis to produc glucose, which is carbon to grow coral.

You don’t have to understand what I said to operate a reef tank.  However, if you want simplicity and beauty then run a low tech macro lagoon using ornamental macros mixed in with LPS and softies.  Very easy to maintain.  The black box that was referenced  is 165W rectangular black   There are Chinese manufactures, however, I have used this American company.  They are very reliable.  Seems like it was priced at $90 less than 5 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/MarsAqua-Dimmable-Aquarium-Freshwater-Saltwater/dp/B017GWDF7E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1529183322&sr=8-3&keywords=165w+led+aquarium+light&dpID=51iN-57evaL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

3 hours ago, Issani said:

However for reef salt what would you recommend?

You'll find that various salt mixes work fine.

Some people like Red Sea (blue bucket): https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-salt-mix-red-sea.html

I kind of like LA Pro Reef: https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4685+38074&pcatid=38074

Fritz Reef Pro is also fairly popular: https://fritzaquatics.com/product/rpm-reef-pro-mix/

Reef Crystals is still popular.  There are lots to choose from.

Saltwater isn't as hard as many say. 

Proper cycling, set up, research, and good husbandry is important for success.

You can easily set up your 40 b with an hob filter with appropriate media, power has, heater, lighting, live rock.

You can also do it with a sump, skimmer, controllers, doses etc.

Most of us are on the same page as you- no fish cycling.

Cycling will depend on the rock you choose.

If you go with dry rock, the cleanest method is bacteria and ammonia dosing. Dr Tim's has these products with full instruction on the method 

If you buy liverock(wet) you most likely will not have a cycle or possibly a short mini cycle. But all you need to do is add the rock and test it 

If its dirty liverock you'll have a cycle, if it's good established liverock, you most likely will have no cycle.

As for salt, there are many brands and everyone has the ones they like or don't like at all.

Instant Ocean is widely available, cheap, used by many.

My personal favorites are red sea blue bucket and aqua forest. I like the parameters of these salts and how quickly they mix.

• Like 1