ReefCleaners.org

Sadies Biocube 16

sadie

10 minutes ago, sadie said:

I wonder who I would call to find out if mine is glass or acrylic, the place I bought it or the Biocube company.  That would be awesome if it were glass!!  I thought it was a mistake on the website because all the reading I had done said it was acrylic.  I hope it's glass..fingerscrossed

The biocube 16 gallon is definitely glass.  I use the flipper nano on it.  It does a good job at removing coraline algae on the glass. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, sadie said:

I wonder who I would call to find out if mine is glass or acrylic, the place I bought it or the Biocube company.  That would be awesome if it were glass!!  I thought it was a mistake on the website because all the reading I had done said it was acrylic.  I hope it's glass..fingerscrossed

Biocubes are glass 

• Like 2

Thanks guys!!  I am so happy it's glass.  :happydance:  I am loving everything about this tank!!  So does my toadstool.  He looks happier then I have seen him in a looooong time!!

happy toadstool.JPG

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

added a new cleaner shrimp the other day and tried drip acclimating for the first time.  I think that will be my new method.  😊  way easier and less time consuming.  I ordered a 16 gal  snail only package from reefcleaners and they should be here by the end of the week.

DSC_1521.JPG

• Like 1

Snails are in!!

Funny story (kinda) I had plans to go to the ocean with fiends today.  I thought my snails were COMING Tue (ordered them on Friday). Then I realized they were being SENT OUT Tue. It said 2-3 days.  I checked the email last night and it was still in Florida.  I thought no way would it be here today.  I woke up this morning and yup- they were almost here and would def. come today.  Hubby (so cute) said he would acclimate them.  I went over directions on how to drip acclimate, wrote everything down etc, but really wanted to do it my self.  We could go to the beach a different day.  But he insisted it would be fine.  Last minute, we canceled for some other reason.  SO GLAD WE DID.  I told my husband to put 2 cups of water from the snails bag in the mason jar...THERE WAS BARELY ANY WATER!!😅 wet paper towels, no instructions...I go on there web site and it says to float for 15 min. then put snails in tank.  then it says NO NOT DRIP ACCLIMATE.!!  Yup, so glad I stayed home.  Right away the sand sifting snails started crusing all over and climbing the walls.  A bunch started moving around.  None have died, some haven't moved yet, but still alive.  

DSC_1527.JPG

DSC_1528.JPG

• Like 1

All but 1 of my snails lived!!  I have my 12 gal tank set up downstairs as a QT tank and fish are acclimating.  1 clown and one yellow clown goby

DSC_1537.JPG

DSC_1538.JPG

• Like 1

And my goby is out of hiding!!  Not sure if the goby is a girl or boy, but I named it Sunny.  .The clown is either Skippy or Zippy.  My clown was out a swimming last night so I dropped in some pellets, he was interested, but didn't eat.

Later today I will try and feed them both some frozen mysis shrimp with a pipette.  

DSC_1539.JPG

I got some flake food and they are both eating now.  I'm not sure how often to feed them.  I usually only feed 1-2x a week, but they are new and young so, I thought maybe everyday until they go into the main tank?  I will probably have to do more WC doing it that way, but I do scoop off all the uneaten food with my fish net.

• Like 1

I bought a white toadstool and a purple tip frogspawn.  I was so excited they had the purple tip, it is my favorite.  Last time I was there they only had some octospawn.  And my green toadstool I droped a rock on is finally open and happy.  Everything is doing good.

DSC_1531.JPG

DSC_1547.JPG

DSC_1546.JPG

• Like 1

oh, the frogspawn came on a piece of LR, but when he bagged it, it popped off the rock.  I will glue it back on, but I didn't have any superglue gel.  Will be picking that up today.

23 hours ago, sadie said:

I got some flake food and they are both eating now.  I'm not sure how often to feed them.  I usually only feed 1-2x a week, but they are new and young so, I thought maybe everyday until they go into the main tank?  I will probably have to do more WC doing it that way, but I do scoop off all the uneaten food with my fish net.

I would feed daily.  Fat fish are healthy fish...especially during times of stress.  Flakes are good for getting them to eat but also messy.  I would start mixing in a few of the really small New Life Spectrum pellets with the flake so they can start getting used to the texture of the pellets. 

• Thanks 1
On 7/21/2018 at 7:31 AM, sadie said:

I bought a white toadstool and a purple tip frogspawn.  I was so excited they had the purple tip, it is my favorite.  Last time I was there they only had some octospawn.  And my green toadstool I droped a rock on is finally open and happy.  Everything is doing good.

DSC_1531.JPG

DSC_1547.JPG

DSC_1546.JPG

I love your new corals, and glad your green toadstool is recovered! 🙂 

For feeding, I just checked a book I have The 101 Best Nano-Reef Species. It suggests for clownfish feed meaty and vegetable foods at least twice a day, color enhancing foods can help maintain its bright colors. For a citron clown goby (I think that’s what you have?) it says feed frozen cyclops, finely shaved table shrimp, and frozen food for carnivores... in a reef tank it can be fed once a day...

• Thanks 1

I got all these snails to clean my tank, and they hang out in the only spot there is no algae(top left of the tank).  It has been like 2 weeks.  Am I expecting too much from them?  

DSC_1548.JPG

• Haha 2

Last time I ordered from Reefcleaners my Nerites did the same thing.  I honestly don't think they ever really came out of the corner, just kind of hung there for weeks.  

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Haha that just cracked me up! I would drop em down in and tell em to get to work haha.

After I just cracked up about your snails I looked in my tank and found a bunch of slackers in mine too! Mine all made their way into my third chamber.

image.jpg

• Haha 1

I think they are planning their escape!! 😅

My next WC is Frid and I will probably have to pull all the rock out and scrub it again!

Lazy snails.

• Haha 1

Honestly my experience with Reefcleaners is I feel like a get a lot of snails, but not a lot that really seem to do anything.  I have much better luck buying a handful of astrea, trochus or margarita snails at the lfs.  

1 hour ago, sadie said:

I got all these snails to clean my tank, and they hang out in the only spot there is no algae(top left of the tank).  It has been like 2 weeks.  Am I expecting too much from them?  

DSC_1548.JPG

Sometimes snails do that when they are adjusting to a new home, sometimes they just feel like doing it, and sometimes it’s becauser where they are collected (shallow tidal zones). 

Find somebody to donate you a few  stomatellas, they are busy little bees and will populate your tank if they spawn.

• Like 1

A long time ago I had a very small patch of GHA.  It was kinda pretty flowing off the tip of a rock and everyone told me to get rid of it.  They told me to get a turbo snail.  I got this turbo snail and it was like a lawn mower.  You could actually see the path it took and in no time the GHA was gone.  That snail kept my tank so clean.  I had him for a few years, he got so big he started knocking my coral over.  I finally had to trade him in at LFS.  Maybe I will try and get one good turbo.  😊

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, sadie said:

A long time ago I had a very small patch of GHA.  It was kinda pretty flowing off the tip of a rock and everyone told me to get rid of it.  They told me to get a turbo snail.  I got this turbo snail and it was like a lawn mower.  You could actually see the path it took and in no time the GHA was gone.  That snail kept my tank so clean.  I had him for a few years, he got so big he started knocking my coral over.  I finally had to trade him in at LFS.  Maybe I will try and get one good turbo.  😊

Turbos are great, but like you said, get a smaller one. Mine are always eating but since they are bigger I only kept 2.  

• Like 1

Added my fish to my main tank and they are loving it!  My clown follows my YCG, it's so cute,  they hang out together.  Glad I went with this combo.

20180730_095403.jpg

20180730_095415.jpg

20180730_095420.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

well my YCG has been missing for about 2 days, I am going to assume he died and got eaten.  He was eating good and looked good.  I know they hide well, but I have looked everywhere, even all the back chambers.  😪  He was so cute. 

• Sad 1