Cultivated Reef

Advice on stocking 29g Biocube please!

Carrie B

Hello! 

I have a new (to me) 29g biocube that I'm super excited about stocking! It's a well-established reef tank, having been my LFS's counter display model for 2 years before I purchased it. It came with: 

-2.5" live sand substrate

-hella live rock (I don't know how many pounds)

-some coral

-2 nassarius snails

-1 blue-knuckle hermit crab

I've since added: 

-1 astrea snail

-yasha goby/candy cane pistol shrimp pair

Here are some fish I'd like to add. I think I should probably only add four more, so I need your help narrowing it down. TIA!!

Green clown goby

Banggai cardinalfish

True clownfish (or other peaceful, small variety)

Springeri damsel

Firefish goby

Firetail blenny

I'm also open to other suggestions! 

I would also like to add: 

-1 emerald crab

-1 fire shrimp

-1 cleaner shrimp

-1-2 turbo snails

Is that too large a cleanup crew for a 29g? 

Thanks again!!!

PS I am VERY new to the hobby and won't be insulted by any "obvious" advice.

• Like 1
A Little Blue

Firetail seems like very interesting idea. 

Could be aggressive to other fish with similar shape. 

Always liked Springeri Ds. Good working fish. If you ever get flatworms, he is the guy to fix that problem. 

Other fish on your list are typical nano fish. 

• Like 1
Reefaddiction

Avoid the emerald, they are more of a headache in the long run. I wouldn’t add it unless you have a wicked bubble algae problem. 

Clown gobies are cool little fish, some say they will pick at sps polyps but mine doesn’t at all and I have quite a few Sps/acros.

Thanks, both of you! That really helps me narrow it down. Here's another question -- my LFS has a firefish and a springeri damsel in the same display tank (there's also a clown and a lawnmower blenny in there). I know that the general advice is to add one fish at once, but if these two have already been tankmates, could I add them to my biocube together? 

Reefaddiction

I think it would be ok, they may quarrel a little at first as they explore there new domain. As long as you have a good amount of rock work and areas they can claim as their territory, I think it wouldn’t be an issue.

A Little Blue
3 hours ago, Carrie B said:

Thanks, both of you! That really helps me narrow it down. Here's another question -- my LFS has a firefish and a springeri damsel in the same display tank (there's also a clown and a lawnmower blenny in there). I know that the general advice is to add one fish at once, but if these two have already been tankmates, could I add them to my biocube together? 

Should be fine. 

I love clownfish because they are hardy, fun, and a mated pair are interesting.

Blennies- love them. Love the personality. Such cool fish.

Other ideas are royal gramma, 6 line wrasse, pygmy wrasse, yellow accessor, black cap basslet.

I have a biocube 29 with 2 picaso clowns, purple firefish, and yellow wrasse.  CUC includes: 2 nesarius snails, 3 turbo snails, 4 astrea snails, 1 zebra snail, 1 bumblebee snail, 3 blue leg crabs, 3 red leg crabs, a red stripe/skunk shrimp and a sand shifting star.  I've had a chromis and other clowns.  I struggled with some territorial behavior early on and had to swap out the fish until I landed on the current stock which are getting along just fine.  Sometimes I think I might have a couple too many on CUC, but in 6 months I've only lost a turbo snail and an astrea snail.  They do a great job keeping things clean.  The tank is still relatively new as am I to the hobby.