inTank Media Baskets

I am cycling my tank and was wondering about additives

ms71171

I have a 20H with 20lbs of LR thats been cycling for a week. My LFS sold me some B-ionic which is a two-step additive. 1. buffer 2. calcium. Should I be using these additives while my tank is cycling? I have a CPR bak-Pak thats helping the dissolved organics.

I'm an idiot. "My LFS sold me some B-ionic which is a two-step additive. 1. buffer 2. calcium" I just did a search about B-ionic and I guess everyone uses the stuff. The guy at the LFS acted like it was something new.

Your skimmer will pull some of this stuff out... but i would still go just a little under the recommended dosage for a nano! If you shut the skimmer off go with about half the recommended amount! No need to dose durring your cycle... just wait until it ends... ;)

The recommended dosage i believe is 1ml for each 4 Gallons. I guess I figure that since my tank is a 20g with 20lbs of LR that I actually only have about 15 gallons of water. I have been dosing 4ml of each every morning. So you think I should only add about 2ml or so?

No, you will need to dose once there are corals in the tank. They will consume the calcium in the water as well as other trace elements. You do not NEED to dose with out corals, because there is no purchased livestock in the tank to consume the elements. My point is that coralline algae does consume calcium and enjoys hard water. So, if you want to promote coralline growth even before you add any corals its ok to dose,this will help the purple spread.;)

Sweet :) Thats what I thought you meant. I do actually want to get some coralline growth before I introduce my first softies because I have some base rock that could use some. Thanks for the info everyone.

Archived