Cultivated Reef

0 phosphates but there's still algae

Micro 30L

So I recently got a new test kit "salifert phosphate 0.03-3.0 ppm" and I found out that my phosphates were at 0ppm. I ended up redoing the test 3 times to check but they all read 0ppm. The thing is I still have alot of algae in my tank so I wanted to know what's happening And how do I fix it?

2 minutes ago, Micro 30L said:

Hair algae

My chemistry is spot on other than my phosphates

Algae is consuming the phos faster than it can build in the water to be detectable by the test.  

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Algae is consuming the phos faster than it can build in the water to be detectable by the test.  

I had the same issue last year and was totally baffled until someone on here pointed this out to me. I opted for upping my CUC, adding Mexican Turbos and Scarlet Hermits, rather than going with Vibrant or another chemical option.

13 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Nailed it.  Happens every time.  Your eyes will tell you what needs to be done. Feed more sparingly, slowly, etc.  Blowing detritus off the rocks, and water changes  will also help correct the issue. 

5 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

I had the same issue last year and was totally baffled until someone on here pointed this out to me. I opted for upping my CUC, adding Mexican Turbos and Scarlet Hermits, rather than going with Vibrant or another chemical option.

Those Mexican turbos...

CEB45979-D6C7-4A39-8215-4A7D772F2276.gif

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've yet to ever see a result from my salifert phos tests.

After 4 tanks in all different conditions and age- I always get 0 phos readings.

That's with or without algae presence.

Algae does use up the nutrients but there is the fact that  Phos testing has been a bane for many in this hobby for yrs. Its notoriously unreliable.

• Like 2

It's often difficult to tell the difference between 0.00 and 0.03 ppm using the Salifert test.

Image result for salifert phosphate color chart

That's why I use the Hanna ULR Phosphorus Checker.  Its digital readout alleviates that doubt.  Accuracy, on the other hand, can still be debated.  However, I find that it gives you a close enough ballpark to understand what is happening in regard to phosphate.  It offers 10 times the resolution of Salifert within the target range of 0.00 to 0.03 ppm.

That said, the algae is still using up the inorganic phosphate and there's a good chance that it will also come back undetectable (or within an acceptable range).  It's funny that we get all excited about phosphate testing after we have a problem.  And it's then that phosphate testing is arguably the least helpful.
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, seabass said:

It's often difficult to tell the difference between 0.00 and 0.03 ppm using the Salifert test.

Image result for salifert phosphate color chart

That's why I use the Hanna ULR Phosphorus Checker.  Its digital readout alleviates that doubt.  Accuracy, on the other hand, can still be debated.  However, I find that it gives you a close enough ballpark to understand what is happening in regard to phosphate.  It offers 10 times the resolution of Salifert within the target range of 0.00 to 0.03 ppm.

That said, the algae is still using up the inorganic phosphate and there's a good chance that it will also come back undetectable (or within an acceptable range).  It's funny that we get all excited about phosphate testing after we have a problem.  And it's then that phosphate testing is arguably the least helpful.

I don't test anymore. Cost too much on kits.

My water came out clear every time. That's 4 tanks 3 yes in total.

I go by visual changes. If I see algae, I know I have phos.

I also truly think that if you are feeding regularly, that 0 phos is most likely not realistic. That type of sterile environment would appear sterile.