Cultivated Reef

Brown jelly

Jorge091293

Jorge091293

I woke up to find my coral with browns jelly deaseas completely removed it from the tank will it spread ? 

I don’t want to loos all my coral 😞 

Jorge091293

The coral was given to me by a local reffwe did sip the coral but now I am so scared 😞 it was a Duncan coral tooked the coral out of the display and threw it away in a bucket with a kessil a 80 the corals around it put them in my biocube but I am so scared of my main display 😞 

I don’t have much experience with this but I heard peroxide dips can help. I would do a large water change to help dilute the possible contagion. However, I’m not sure you should stress the corals by dipping tho if they aren’t showing any signs, as it may stress them and leave them open to infection. Hopefully someone with first hand experience will comment, especially the duration the contagion may be active without a host. Hope it works out!

Im sorry to hear it happened! I only have had 1 experience with brown jelly and it was with a tiny 2 polyp purple hammer frag. I saw it had brown jelly all over one polyp after the first day I received it and since it was too small to frag the other polyp, I destroyed it, not willing to chance a disease outbreak anymore than I did. I've read it is a protozoan infection, but theres not much on successful treatments, and I didnt want to experiment in my DT. This happened about a month ago, and my corals, and other euphillia are healthy, no sign of that sudden disease.

the way I look at it is the 20 dollar frag isnt worth the lowball >300 dollars of my corals.

taking it out of the DT is the correct decision I feel, did any of the brown jelly slough or fall off while you pulled the frag out? if not and you're corals are healthy, I dont believe there will be a problem. did the coral have brown jelly when it was placed in the tank? maybe the disease was a secondary infection that started in your tank, it's been suggested brown jelly overtakes a coral when there is injury or malnutrition and such. Again, I rather avoid the situation all together and I destroyed the coral since I could not frag and place in QT for observing.

hopefully someone that had experience about how to treat it successfuly can help you, if you want to treat the duncan.

Edited by sapling