ReefCleaners.org

can you add too many coral at once?

sadie

I will be getting my new tank next week (I hope) and have been looking at coral on line.  I was thinking of getting like 4 or 5, but wasn't sure if you could add too many at one time.

36 minutes ago, sadie said:

I will be getting my new tank next week (I hope) and have been looking at coral on line.  I was thinking of getting like 4 or 5, but wasn't sure if you could add too many at one time.

Short answer..... it depends. 

...on the tank and the Corals that you are adding. 

What did you have in mind?

I am getting the Biocube 16 (staying with stock lighting)    I was thinking of adding a ricordea (or2), GSP, yellow polyps,  and some mushrooms.  I was thinking of keeping it simple at first.  In the past I have had frogspawn, duncans and candycanes.  But was thinking of starting with the softies and adding the LPS later.

Right now my tank only has one tiny toad stool, a CUC and no fish

• Like 1
Euphylin me

if you are going to add a bunch at once, a good rule of thumb is to get corals that require different things. You dont want to get 5 euphyllias at once because they all require (generally) the same thing. So i would try and mix it up by getting a few lps and soft corals. Since lps can be fed and thrive off of light and generally soft corals consume nitrates phosphates amino acids etc.. and then use light as well. This way you are not putting in a bunch of corals that consume calcium, magnesium, strontium etc all at once and can throw your levels out of whack. Especially since this is a nano tank forum im assuming its a smaller tank...i would only get a couple and see how they do before you add a bunch, maybe start with gsp and mushrooms?

9 minutes ago, sadie said:

I am getting the Biocube 16 (staying with stock lighting)    I was thinking of adding a ricordea (or2), GSP, yellow polyps,  and some mushrooms.  I was thinking of keeping it simple at first.  In the past I have had frogspawn, duncans and candycanes.  But was thinking of starting with the softies and adding the LPS later.

Right now my tank only has one tiny toad stool, a CUC and no fish

You should be fine with those choices. 🙂

buy some stuff then let them settle in before getting more stuff. Slow and steady. 

6 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

Just to clarify...you are getting the corals after you complete the cycle in your new tank first, right?

sorry, I should have mentioned I already have an established tank.  I am just switching my 12gal JBJ for the 16Gal CoralIfe.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Floundering_Around said:

This video clarifies the how and why, but you can definitely get too many corals at once

NOW THAT"S AN ANSWER!!  Thank you so much, great video too!  

Floundering_Around
4 hours ago, sadie said:

NOW THAT"S AN ANSWER!!  Thank you so much, great video too!  

You're very welcome! 🙂 As soon as I read the topic I remembered this video that I watched a few days ago. Glad my youtube binges are good for something lol

• Like 1