Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need your help with possible Clam foot issue

A Little Blue

A Little Blue

I have this Clam for few weeks now and here are my issues and concerns:

• it doesn’t seem to be happy in any of the placement spots that I’ve tried (high, low middle, bottom, mid or high on LR).

• instead of loving the light, it seems to look for a shade.

• when I placed it on its foot, it attaches, opens up for a while and then burps itself on the side.

And finally, I noticed what could be the issue with its foot. But I’m not an expert on these issues so I need your opinion on this. I haven’t spot any parasites or snails but it could be a possibility.

Here is a very short vid of its foot. Tell me what you think.

What you're looking at are byssus fibers from where the clam has attached or was trying to. The actual gland itself is inside the clam.  What I would do is find a flat piece of live rock or a tridacnid clam holder. There's a company that makes sort of a ceramic dish for tridacnid clams and they're perfect for acclimating a clam to your tank. Start them off low and slow like you would a sensitive piece of coral, on the substrate in low or indirect light. Let the clam hang out there for a little while until it acclimates and starts looking good, then you can move it on it's little rock a little higher up in the rock work gradually where you'd like it to live. If the clam hates it, move it back to where it was last happy. 

Giant clams really appreciate a well seasoned tank that is absolutely balanced in all respects. They're more sensitive than a lot of SPS corals and will require supplemental feedings with phyto & zooplankton and/or foods like oyster feast, reef roids, Fuel, etc.. 

• Thanks 1
A Little Blue
48 minutes ago, OPtasia said:

What you're looking at are byssus fibers from where the clam has attached or was trying to. The actual gland itself is inside the clam.  What I would do is find a flat piece of live rock or a tridacnid clam holder. There's a company that makes sort of a ceramic dish for tridacnid clams and they're perfect for acclimating a clam to your tank. Start them off low and slow like you would a sensitive piece of coral, on the substrate in low or indirect light. Let the clam hang out there for a little while until it acclimates and starts looking good, then you can move it on it's little rock a little higher up in the rock work gradually where you'd like it to live. If the clam hates it, move it back to where it was last happy. 

Giant clams really appreciate a well seasoned tank that is absolutely balanced in all respects. They're more sensitive than a lot of SPS corals and will require supplemental feedings with phyto & zooplankton and/or foods like oyster feast, reef roids, Fuel, etc.. 

Thanks for all the information. It’s very useful advice. I read quite a bit about them but still feel like a complete novice.

Ceramic holder rings the bell. Years ago I have seen one somewhere on one of the  forums. 

I didn’t know you need to be kinda aggressive with light acclimation as it came from pretty intense environment. 

It is seating at the bottom now. 

You are right, tank is relatively “new”. 

I dose Fuel and feed live phytoplankton + reef roids/coral frenzy. 

System is pretty stable (Alk-9, Ca460, Mg-1400). 

Once again, thank you for your input. It does help a lot. Its health was my main concern. 👍

Here is the pic of the actual foot trying to grip on to something. 

0FAAF746-93EC-4477-85E1-93B240956284.thumb.jpeg.fed580a727a46ce2b4b6f2189c1ba468.jpeg