Pod Your Reef

? About yellow polyps

NanoRox

I purchased these online (they were cheap) and after only 1 1/2 months they have gone from 3 polyps to 7.  

Normally that would be great but it has me wondering if this is an invasive coral?  That seems like a crazy fast growth rate. Anyone have experience with it? 

46FA6BD6-13FD-4869-9A19-E9F2DDC4C921.jpeg

Yes they can be invasive. I think even more than GSP or xenia. But on a small rock by themselves can add some color and movement in the flow. I liked them in a tank with a carpet anemone because If they got stung they would bounce back. 

• Like 2

GSP beats Yellow Polyps.  I don’t think anything can outgrow Xenia.  Yellow Polyps & GSP have been in this tank for 10 years.  I received Xenia  cuttings 6 months ago.  They have increased 20 fold,

image.jpg

• Like 1

Ok good to know.  Thanks guys.  Mine are on a rock by themselves so unless they grow across the substrate I should be fine. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Duane Clark said:

I purchased these online (they were cheap) and after only 1 1/2 months they have gone from 3 polyps to 7.  

Normally that would be great but it has me wondering if this is an invasive coral?  That seems like a crazy fast growth rate. Anyone have experience with it? 

46FA6BD6-13FD-4869-9A19-E9F2DDC4C921.jpeg

Yes they are invasive. Keep them isolated if you can because they grow quickly. 

While GSP grows a pretty purple mat from which polyps come from.  Both yellow polyps and Xenia can reproduce in numerous  ways.  Both are capable of remote bud dropping.  Meaning they drop buds to grow most anywhere.  While  both would be considered invasive, it is not a problem to prune and sell as nutrient export.  Tooth brush dipped in perotide deals easily with both.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Subsea said:

While GSP grows a pretty purple mat from which polyps come from.  Both yellow polyps and Xenia can reproduce in numerous  ways.  Both are capable of remote bud dropping.  Meaning they drop buds to grow most anywhere.  While  both would be considered invasive, it is not a problem to prune and sell as nutrient export.  Tooth brush dipped in perotide deals easily with both.

So are yellow polyps zoas?  

I noticed when feeding frozen food, that the Yellow polyps would attach polyp tips to food.  I never actually saw them ingest food of this large size.  Their behavior reminded me of an anemone.

1 hour ago, Subsea said:

I noticed when feeding frozen food, that the Yellow polyps would attach polyp tips to food.  I never actually saw them ingest food of this large size.  Their behavior reminded me of an anemone.

Yes mine capture frozen mysis all the time.  Basically they are friendly aiptasia.  🙂    I really like them so far.  The colony is getting larger almost daily.  Will see what I think of them in a couple months.  

burtbollinger

i wouldnt let them near my tank....invasive and IMO they USUALLY cheapen the look of the tank.  

I had to shut a tank down over invasive trash palys.  never again.

37 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

i wouldnt let them near my tank....invasive and IMO they USUALLY cheapen the look of the tank.  

I had to shut a tank down over invasive trash palys.  never again.

Not sure if it "cheapens" the look of my tank but I like them so far.  Since they are isolated on a single rock I think it will be OK.  If they somehow spread, I will just "harvest" some and bring to my LFS.  

burtbollinger

one man's treasure and all that....IME, I like to maximize color in the limited space available.    

Personally, I'd introduce aptasia on purpose before a paly.  (unless I was going for a very specific, wild softie look)

anyway, please remember to be careful harvesting...when folks talk about toxins, that specific strain sometimes used as the poster child...not sure if that's accurate or not tho.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, burtbollinger said:

one man's treasure and all that....IME, I like to maximize color in the limited space available.    

Personally, I'd introduce aptasia on purpose before a paly.  (unless I was going for a very specific, wild softie look)

anyway, please remember to be careful harvesting...when folks talk about toxins, that specific strain sometimes used as the poster child...not sure if that's accurate or not tho.

I read up on this species and it is in fact a colonial  anemone.  Makes me wonder if this puts off Paly toxin or not.  I could not find definitive info on that.