Cultivated Reef

Macro algae in mixed reef display tank?

AquaVaj

I think it is easy to grow ornamental macros in reef tank.  No Tangs or Rabbits.

First pictures 75G display set upfor25 years.

Second picture is 120G setup for 6 moths.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Nice! That's exactly what I want to do. Didn't have much success with SPS in the past but hopefully will with ornamental macros.

Would T5 lighting work or do they do better with more full spectrum? I have hybrid T5 (blue and purple) and MH (250w 14k).

• Like 1
16 hours ago, AquaVaj said:

Nice! That's exactly what I want to do. Didn't have much success with SPS in the past but hopefully will with ornamental macros.

Would T5 lighting work or do they do better with more full spectrum? I have hybrid T5 (blue and purple) and MH (250w 14k).

Your lights are well suited for macro.  I consider T5 & MH seperior to LED for growing macro.  I use LED because of heat and a diode life of 50K hours.   Use small amounts of GAC changed on a regular basis.

PSS.  I would get more white in there.  Perhapes a T5 tube or two at 6500 kelvin.  That is a normal daylight bulb.  It will enhance yellow & red in fish and macro.  In most cases, less intense is better than intense light.  Let’s use Red Grapes as an example.  It is collected between 60’ & 120’.  When I get it from the Divers it is a rich dark burgundy.  If subjected to too much light, flotation berries turn white and fall off.