DB Fishy

Hi, New member new .5 gal pico tank.

Hi, new here and haven't lurked much so I hope this is appropriate to post. Since this was a DIY project I posted it there but I think I will need help and advice from those who have kept really small tanks. The tank is now cycling. I filled it up yesterday and added some bio-spira to get the biological filter started. The rock is not live as it has been in the tank with fresh water for several week as I was trying to work the kinks out of the project. I expect this to be a coral only tank. Because of its small size I plan to do about 50-100% water changes each week and use packaged sea water to refill the aquarium.  How long should I expect to wait before adding any coral to this kind of setup? Any other constructive criticism is most welcome. Thanks 

• Like 2

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!  It's a cute little tank!  I would recommend posting your build thread here as the DIY forum doesn't get as much traffic and is usually used more for people showing how they did various projects.  Do you have a source of ammonia?  If not, try to find some Dr. Tim's.  You can use stuff from the hardware store but it must be pure ammonia with no additives.  You'll need the ammonia to feed the bacteria to get the cycle going.  How long it will take just depends, I used Bio-spira, Microbacter7, and Dr. Tim's ammonia and cycled my 15L in 3 weeks using dry rock and live sand.  Every tank is different though.

• Like 1

Hi DB Fishy!  If you read some of the threads from the Creative Container Contest, (especially the smaller containers) you will learn a lot about what worked and what did not work.  Many of the containers were the same general volume as your new build but without the benefits of mechanical filtration.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 5:38 AM, vlangel said:

Hi DB Fishy!  If you read some of the threads from the Creative Container Contest, (especially the smaller containers) you will learn a lot about what worked and what did not work.  Many of the containers were the same general volume as your new build but without the benefits of mechanical filtration.

Thanks

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions