Innovative Marine Aquariums

.5 gallon Pico Reef AIO (Sort of)

DB Fishy

So I wanted to have a desktop aquarium at work, and I wanted to get into Reef keeping so i decided to try a little experimental tank first... something I could piece together bit by bit.  This project got a bit crazy though but I think I've got most the issues worked out and the tank is now cycling. I was inspired by a few tanks I has seen just googleing around.  The tank started with a .5 gal beta tank which I divided off into a small sump section. The plan was to add  some filter media a heater and a return pump in there. I also ordered some LED's and Drivers and Switches to rig up a LED light system on some aluminum heat syncs I pulled off an old flat panel TV power board. lastly fearing too much heat being generated by the lights I cut the lid and installed a 12vdc PC cooling fan. The heater and fan are plugged into a temperature controller. So far only the fan has needed to come on. I noticed quite a bit of evaporation from the tank during testing. Before testing I thought I could do a manual top off every couple days or so since I would not be in on the weekends or if I was on a work trip. After seeing the amount of water loss this didn't seem practical so I rigged up a automatic top off system. The top off is triggered by a float switch with is connected to a relay board the will power the pump in the fresh water reservoir to refill the tank as needed. inside the box is a power strip that everything is plugged into with a light timer and the relay board for the ATO. 

I picked up the rock from the beach on a recent tip to Hawaii. Thought it would be a nice reminder when I looked at the tank.

20180612_081606.jpg

20180612_081717.jpg

20180612_081659.jpg

20180612_081833 (1).jpg

• Like 3
tdannhauser30

Cool little experiment, looks nice

Im not sure what you want to put in there but if anything swims or crawls you might want to put a grate or mesh or something in front of the overflow, Really a creative little setup ya made there!

44 minutes ago, tdannhauser30 said:

Cool little experiment, looks nice

Im not sure what you want to put in there but if anything swims or crawls you might want to put a grate or mesh or something in front of the overflow, Really a creative little setup ya made there!

Thanks... probably just corals but that is a good idea. Definitely a work in progress.

18 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to NR is this your first tank?

I have kept a 50 gallon fresh water aquarium off and on (mostly on) since high school... 20 years ago. This will be my 1st SW aquarium with a big system planned sometime down the road.

Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @DB Fishy, thanks for sharing your new pico reef! You've built a really neat little custom system here, what do you plan to keep in it? I'm curious to know more about the LEDs you used as well.

3 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @DB Fishy, thanks for sharing your new pico reef! You've built a really neat little custom system here, what do you plan to keep in it? I'm curious to know more about the LEDs you used as well.

Thanks, I planned to keep only corals... maybe a shrimp or a snail but it is really to small for fish. (I thought about a yellow goby but do not really know anything about their swimming habits or space requirements... their size makes them seem attractive for this tank but i don't think it would be best for the fish). The LED's are a 10W hybrid 10000k and royal blue bulb. I have a second Bulb that is Royal Blue and UV wavelengths I got them on Alibaba express:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5pcs-10W-Square-Actinic-Hybrid-Cool-White-10000K-Royal-Blue-450nm-UV-395nm-High-Power-LED/32410729718.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2a014c4dbHMPGi

I attached them to a Heat sink that I pulled out of a flat panel television. I used a 12 vdc power supply and a 10 watt led driver to power the  led with a 12VDC power supply

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10W-DC-12V-24V-LED-Constant-Current-Driver-Power-900mA-High-Power-Led-Hot-Sell/32798713164.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dmbpyHi

Don't know if it right but it seems to be working.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...