Pod Your Reef

First reef aquascape

Reaperxvii

Hey guys! So I wanted some input from people who know way more then I do about this. How does this setup look? It's a 29 gallon ( 30-12-17) I also have one more big piece on the floor I can use.20180611_230120.thumb.jpg.7e0bf0c71c9a1040d227a138753ee01b.jpg

15287762642252767779504080246118.jpg

15287762830256774870429086754948.jpg

• Like 1
lakshwadeep

The first arrangement looks good as is. If you add the extra big piece, put it at the bottom, maybe by making two islands (one short, one tall). IMO, too many people cram their tanks full of rocks and then leave little room for corals to grow and fish to swim. 

• Like 1

Thanks! My goal was to leave enough room on the edges for cleaning the glass and enough room for coral and fish. Might leave it as is then! 🙂

• Like 1

Looks great, and I agree with leaving room. Being a newbie who didn’t think of this with my setup, I always suggest looking from the top down, as that will show you how your lights will hit your corals. Also, once you add your sand, it looks like you may not have a lot of space under the swim through arches... something to consider if that’s important to you. 

• Like 1

I feel like the the hardscape looks really good so far! with the spare rock have you considered breaking into smaller pieces to help fill in the gaps and accent the main stones? 

Thanks guys! Ill look into pumping the rock up higher for my little cave I made, and I didnt until a friend mentioned it but I have a bunch of tiny rock pieces that broke off in shipping i can use to fill in gaps and stuff!

I had to remove everything to finish some plumbing and ended up coming up with a new scape that uses all the pieces. What does everyone think of this one?

20180615_162744.jpg

• Like 1

the latest one I think looks a bit disproportional in respect to the tank, a little too tall I think. the idea itself is pretty nice though, and looks like it can look pretty nice once sand is in.

It is almost to tall (it comes basically right under where the lid will be) but with that said I really like the look of it as it looks like an actual rock formation.

Just now, Reaperxvii said:

It is almost to tall (it comes basically right under where the lid will be) but with that said I really like the look of it as it looks like an actual rock formation.

if your happy with it that's what counts! I do feel coral placement wise however, the height might be an issue at the top. will you be keeping corals, and do you know which corals you are interested in keeping?

A Little Blue

If you really like it, use epoxy on your main structure. A lot safer in a long run and easier to bond while rock is still dry. 

Even if you upgrade or decide to move it, it will hold together as one piece. A little island in the back left corner would give it a bit more depth/dimension. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Aqua Splendor

You could mirror your scape, big structure on the left with mini island on the right, so like this you hide that black box a bit.

Toxic enigma

The first one and the last are the two best imho.  One suggestion that jumps out at me is to paint the back wall black, it helps hide the overflow and other equipment. 

I do agree with the others on gluing the rockwork together aswell. At minimum it's a pain to try rebuilding rockwork if you bump it while cleaning, at worst corals, other critters or even the tank could be damaged. 

I have to say it's nice to see someone else with a standard 29 on here. 

IMG_20180719_232928.jpg

• Like 1

This tank sadly fractured on the bottom as I was filling it with water so I went to my new tank found in my thread here ---->

: