Coral Vue Hydros

Lula Mae's desktop pico - picture/video overload

Lula_Mae

I never posted about it, but for Black Friday I got a bunch of zoas and stuff from Legendary Corals, and even some green snake polyps!  Then for Secret Santa, @Tamberav sent me a teeny frag of nepthea (which still needs gluing or attaching to something but seems to be stretching itself out and settling in nonetheless).  Then I found some orange snake polyps at an LFS and brought them home (they had the ends open and I could definitely tell they were related to zoas!).  I'll try to get some pics of stuff soon.  I need a water change but it's just kinda trucking along for now.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some stuff from Gulf Coast Ecosystems today, and picked up a couple feather dusters from Petco.  The stuff from GCE even had a couple hitchhiking feather dusters!  I put a filter on to run some carbon but it was way too fast so I stopped it.  Might try running a couple hours tomorrow too, my purple frilly gorg has gone downhill and started disintegrating and ticked everything else off.  Still just running this thing with an air pump for circulation!  Wish I had a lid to prevent salt spray.  Everything is a little peeved right now from me messing with the flow and how fast the filter was in this teeny tank (it was an Azoo Mignon 160 so it wasn't a big filter either!).  Might have to get the smallest size Azoo filter for carbon.

Anyway, from GCE I got some sargassum, a purple whip, purple frilly gorg to replace the dying one (I fragged the best looking part of the dying one and took it out), and a yellow gorg I forget the name of, some fine branching coralline and a pack of red macros.  Oh, and a few rics!  Wound up with a bluish one, a greenish one, and a pair of purple and green ones.  Yay!

• Like 3

Nice additions! 

I bet you could get away with just sticking some carbon in a bag hidden behind something for a couple days, then take it back out. Unless you're looking for massive chemical filtration like you get from a reactor, it doesn't actually take much with carbon to get a decent effect.

Oh, and, um, pics? :flower:

• Like 2
10 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Nice additions! 

I bet you could get away with just sticking some carbon in a bag hidden behind something for a couple days, then take it back out. Unless you're looking for massive chemical filtration like you get from a reactor, it doesn't actually take much with carbon to get a decent effect.

Oh, and, um, pics? :flower:

I was thinking of doing that but wasn't sure if it'd be as effective.   Going to plop the bag in the back lol.

I tried to get some pics but had trouble so I'll post the one or two I got and try to get some tonight.

• Like 1

Terrible pictures but hopefully you can see--on the left is the giant duster, up top is the other I got today. On the right is visible the tube for one I got a couple weeks ago. Bottom right you can see the nepthea frag @Tamberav sent me for Secret Santa (also the Oceanbox frag rack up top and center!), and the rics I got. 

20190110_140518.thumb.jpg.95581b047a4600bc58c7f854295b1f74.jpg

The red macro pack I ordered came with some hitchhikers--tiny red feather dusters! They'd jumped their soft tubes in transit. I hope they can establish and pull through. One dropped his crown after being in the path of filter flow, so I hope he'll be ok!

20190109_205710.thumb.jpg.1aa3116458eae2717a6e612fd082ff5a.jpg

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Nepthea looks like its doing good! Cool hitchikers too.... your zoas look like they are asking for more light though!

They probably are.  I've had a hard time dialing this thing in, especially since it loses my settings if unplugged or the power goes out.  I bumped up the whites to take the pics so maybe that will help.  Going to give it a few days and go from there.  The nepthea seems to have attached itself to a bit of halimeda that wasn't doing well.  I love it, it's so pretty!  Can't wait to see it get bigger.

My purple whip is so tall the tip pokes out of the tank a little bit haha.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

They probably are.  I've had a hard time dialing this thing in, especially since it loses my settings if unplugged or the power goes out.  I bumped up the whites to take the pics so maybe that will help.  Going to give it a few days and go from there.  The nepthea seems to have attached itself to a bit of halimeda that wasn't doing well.  I love it, it's so pretty!  Can't wait to see it get bigger.

My purple whip is so tall the tip pokes out of the tank a little bit haha.

Sucks it resets! You could always just do a tuna blue if it doesn't work out. Attaching is a good sign, once it anchors itself it'll prob start taking off. Mine already growing two new arms where I chopped it. 

Just now, Tamberav said:

Sucks it resets! You could always just do a tuna blue if it doesn't work out. Attaching is a good sign, once it anchors itself it'll prob start taking off. Mine already growing two new arms where I chopped it. 

I've actually got the 23w tuna blue which I tried over my 5.5 for a few days.  It's just SO blue!  I have thought about the Hipergaro light.  Probably gonna hold off till I decide what to do with the big tank though.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Just checking in to see how the tank is doing.  Any complaints other than resetting the light after a power outage?  Would you buy it again for such a small tank or look at something else instead? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 12:39 PM, TatorTaco said:

Just checking in to see how the tank is doing.  Any complaints other than resetting the light after a power outage?  Would you buy it again for such a small tank or look at something else instead? 

I actually got lazy after moving my desk and just threw a PAR bulb over the tank; the Asta is still there but not plugged in lol.  The tank has been completely overrun by pods which is super annoying because they ate my zoas (caught in the act! one frag went from over a dozen polyps to under 5 in a couple of weeks and I watched a pod munching on a polyp one day...ugh).  I moved the zoas out into temporary headquarters in hopes of saving what's left.  The light is pretty decent for the price but (and this is why I haven't been using it) it's got a 'box' thing on the power cord that I couldn't get situated properly because of how the tank is positioned (on the front of my desk).  I do plan to use it again; this tank is probably coming down in the near future although I may throw up another pico with a piece of the live rock I got for my 7.5 that I just got started up.  I wouldn't put this light over more than about 5-6 gallons, personally, but for picos it's a great, affordable option.