Pod Your Reef

Acan coral.

Phill2222

I’ve had these acans for a few weeks and they are placed in top of tank, I’ve noticed no growth at all, and my Duncan coral is sprouting tiny heads under the tenticle. But the acan has had no noticeable growth, they are in the top of tank alongside the Duncan’s. I’m worried that there is something wrong but all my other corals are doing great, zoanthids I fragged exploded, Duncan’s got new heads mushroom looks bigger and etc. please help! Also on the dead skeleton there are small almost looking cloves. In pic small pink things in Skelton is what I mean please help

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't know how strong your lighting is, but I normally see folks putting Acans toward the bottom of the tank, depending on lighting intensity of course.  Not only that, but it's only been a few weeks. I don't think you'll be seeing noticeable growth in just a few weeks from new coral (I'm assuming you mean 2 weeks) especially if you're anything like me and get at least 1 hour or more of staring time daily. I'm sure Acans grow some in 2 weeks but I wouldn't think it'd be something we'd notice with our eyes looking into the tank daily at our prized possessions. LOL...........Just try the regular stuff. Test all your parameters make sure nothing is out of line. Try moving it away from the top of the tank. From everything I've read Acans are a "medium" light coral. This is all going to depend on what light you have, your lighting schedule, lighting intensity. I mean if you're running a 12 hour lighting cycle with Kessil and a 4 hour ramp up to 75% intensity that may be your problem. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

^^^agree. The Acans are too high on the reef. 

10 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

I don't know how strong your lighting is, but I normally see folks putting Acans toward the bottom of the tank, depending on lighting intensity of course.  Not only that, but it's only been a few weeks. I don't think you'll be seeing noticeable growth in just a few weeks from new coral (I'm assuming you mean 2 weeks) especially if you're anything like me and get at least 1 hour or more of staring time daily. I'm sure Acans grow some in 2 weeks but I wouldn't think it'd be something we'd notice with our eyes looking into the tank daily at our prized possessions. LOL...........Just try the regular stuff. Test all your parameters make sure nothing is out of line. Try moving it away from the top of the tank. From everything I've read Acans are a "medium" light coral. This is all going to depend on what light you have, your lighting schedule, lighting intensity. I mean if you're running a 12 hour lighting cycle with Kessil and a 4 hour ramp up to 75% intensity that may be your problem. 

My tank is pretty deep so place them on the sand bed? 

First let me make it clear that I am by no means an expert I am just saying what I would try if that was my coral, there are much much much more experienced people here that I hope chime in LOL. I just really have no life and stay on this forum too much and love to chat. Now that this is out of the way............With you saying you have such a deep tank. This is where par meters come in handy, but they seem pretty pricey from what I've seen. I'm lucky enough to have a pretty popular light that is commonly used on the popular tank that I have. I was able to scour the net and ask around and see what intensities I should run at and lighting schedules and the types of corals people were keeping at said levels and just kinda feeling out and making an educated guess at where I should place the corals. I really have no way of knowing what your par is at the Top, Mid and Bottom of your tank. Also I don't really know how strong your lighting is and what intensity you're running it at, at full ramp up. Maybe just try moving it to the middle for now and see if that helps, if you see improvement bring it to the bottom. If it starts to look unhealthy again move it back to the middle and you'll know that's it's happy spot. 

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

First let me make it clear that I am by no means an expert I am just saying what I would try if that was my coral, there are much much much more experienced people here that I hope chime in LOL. I just really have no life and stay on this forum too much and love to chat. Now that this is out of the way............With you saying you have such a deep tank. This is where par meters come in handy, but they seem pretty pricey from what I've seen. I'm lucky enough to have a pretty popular light that is commonly used on the popular tank that I have. I was able to scour the net and ask around and see what intensities I should run at and lighting schedules and the types of corals people were keeping at said levels and just kinda feeling out and making an educated guess at where I should place the corals. I really have no way of knowing what your par is at the Top, Mid and Bottom of your tank. Also I don't really know how strong your lighting is and what intensity you're running it at, at full ramp up. Maybe just try moving it to the middle for now and see if that helps, if you see improvement bring it to the bottom. If it starts to look unhealthy again move it back to the middle and you'll know that's it's happy spot. 

Ok I placed in middle of tank by Kenya tree which is happy there thank you 

low light is about 50-100 par, medium is about 100-200 par,  high is 200 par and above. Of course i'm sure others will have a different range of numbers (not too far off, but this seems to be a debated topic). This can kind of give you an idea about where you should be putting your corals when you purchase them. If you purchase them at a LFS hop on one of the online dealers and they usually state what level light the coral should be kept at (low, med, high). You can kind of use that as a cheat sheet. World Wide Corals are really good about stating what levels they keep the corals you're purchasing at. ONCE AGAIN, I'm not an expert. This is my interpretation of the information I've ingested and my opinion only. I suggest reading up on it too and just using what I've said as a kickstart. 

Good luck, keep us posted!! 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Phill2222 said:

My tank is pretty deep so place them on the sand bed? 

How deep are we talking?  My Acans in my 75 Gallon are almost right in the sand and I think it is 21” deep plus another 9” for the light above the tank. 

• Thanks 1

I got my first acans (2 heads) about a month ago and see 2 more heads growing underneath. I feed some omega one mini pellets to them once or twice a week. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

How deep are we talking?  My Acans in my 75 Gallon are almost right in the sand and I think it is 21” deep plus another 9” for the light above the tank. 

24 inch

12 minutes ago, Phill2222 said:

24 inch

That’s not bad.  I would place them in the sand and then slowly move up if necessary. 

• Thanks 1
On 6/11/2018 at 8:54 PM, WV Reefer said:

That’s not bad.  I would place them in the sand and then slowly move up if necessary. 

On 6/11/2018 at 9:16 PM, 1891Bro said:

Looking at the pics I think you bought a near dead piece. Good luck. 

I did what you recommended, (and yes it was a frugal frag lol) and I’ve noticed it’s little tentacles coming out, u also moved other coral down and noticed it was doing better too. Thanks guys!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Phill2222 said:

I did what you recommended, (and yes it was a frugal frag lol) and I’ve noticed it’s little tentacles coming out, u also moved other coral down and noticed it was doing better too. Thanks guys!

Yay!!! 😄

• Thanks 1

Not all corals will grow rapidly. Some can take much longer than others.

Acans don't like high light or high flow.

They are a moderate light coral. Best placed mid to bottom of tank.

They also like being fed.

All fluctuations also effects them.

The one in your picture is one head, the rest is skeleton.

• Thanks 1