Pod Your Reef

First Reef, 5.5 Gallon Mixed Pico

GuelphPico

Hello Nano Reef Forum,

I wanted to post to this community to seek out some advice and wisdom in running my first Pico reef. I have had the tank running for approximately 3 months with no substantial coral growth. I have also recently discovered an outbreak of rust coloured flatworms. Additionally, there is a fair coating of brown and green algae along the glass even though nitrates, nitrites and ammonia all read 0ppm. My calcium, mg and alk levels are all within normal ranges. 

I am running a cheap Amazon led reef light in addition to white leds for fuge. Two ac hob filters mini and 30 as well as korilia 425 power head. 

Current inhabitants include:

Royal gramma - plans on upgrading to 12 or 22 long.

Cleaner shrimp 

Blue and red legged hermits x4 x1

Naussarius x1

Unknown species of scavenging snail x2

Astrea x3

Coral:

Red Monti cap 

Torch 

Rainbow acan 

Devils hand

Kenyan tree

Utter chaos zoas

Cheato algae in mini refuge

Any input is regarding my apparent nutrient, pest and stocking problems are really appreciated.

Looking to upgrade in the near future.

Cheers from a student reefer!

20180610_161101.jpg

20180610_161111.jpg

20180610_161120.jpg

20180610_161135.jpg

20180610_161224.jpg

Which black sand is that? I have had major algae issues with Tahitian moon sand, and have heard others had algae issues with black sand as well. Which light are you using? If it's too white, it may also be contributing to algae issues. Nitrates will read 0 as it's all being taken up by algae.  You might find similar with phosphates. Stirring the sand during water changes to remove detritus may help. Are you running both hobs on full blast with the other pump? That could be a lot of flow in a 5.5. 

Regarding the flatworms, unfortunately if they're the reddish brown ones, they can be problematic.  I'd research ways to get rid of them, though you can siphon them out during water changes to help control numbers. 

Lastly, welcome to Nano-Reef! You have a neat scape and 5.5s are some of my favorites.  I just took one down (consolidating).