Pod Your Reef

Utahpico

After a year and a half, he decides to jump! My clown fish. : / it's a risk I take keeping an open top system. There was a power outage for a few hours early that morning and it threw off my light schedule that may have added to the issue...? Photo_1531457062709.thumb.png.dadd8e0d3cada50dbff69f7275d7c647.png

• Sad 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Switched over to fritz pro, after a 70% water change 2 days ago, everything is really happy, last week for some reason my tank was just not looking so great, corals were changing color or dying and I knew I had to change something. And after that water change I see huge improvement. So another water change in the same week then back to once a week. 

20180801_200826.jpg

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Utahpico said:

Switched over to fritz pro, after a 70% water change 2 days ago, everything is really happy, last week for some reason my tank was just not looking so great, corals were changing color or dying and I knew I had to change something. And after that water change I see huge improvement. So another water change in the same week then back to once a week. 

20180801_200826.jpg

Looking good 😎. I love the fritz rpm.  Always easier to fix low KH vs high KH.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a silent chuckle with the fact that you glued a zoa to the snail.  I'd ask why, but I imagine your response would be to shrug and say "just because" or "seemed like a good idea at the time".  

I'm tagging along on this tank.  It'll be great watching this develop, but I do worry about your GSP overtaking the left side of the tank. 

On 8/10/2018 at 5:38 AM, TatorTaco said:

I got a silent chuckle with the fact that you glued a zoa to the snail.  I'd ask why, but I imagine your response would be to shrug and say "just because" or "seemed like a good idea at the time".  

I'm tagging along on this tank.  It'll be great watching this develop, but I do worry about your GSP overtaking the left side of the tank. 

There was a zoa polyp floating around the tank, and I remembered I used to have a collector crab back in the day, and it would try and put all kinds of stuff on it's back. The gap is slow growing In my tank I also just trimmed it up today, I'm just worried about the xenia. 

Did a 100% water change today full tank and sand cleaning like I used to with my other tank. Full water volume is only 4g . So the rock/coral/sand takes up 1.5g. Colors are getting better, I'm not happy with something o don't know what though. 15342760934546326283463656731672.thumb.jpg.554039f7d619dfa7d2cd3d4696b7f827.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lostandfound said:

Nice tank! Love the no filtration approach. You used a 3.7gal Petco before right? Looks like you knocked the sumpwall down.

Yeah, it was a Petco tank I liked it but I scratched it up to bad. With no filtration I figure I'll just spend my money on a good quality salt only

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BaristaBob said:

Looks like it's just expelling some waste, but I have only had one frogspawn in my life. I remember it would look like that from time to time.

It's new and has never been happy, but now with everything under control and new salt it looks happy 

• 4 months later...
sam_the_reefer

Zoas might be getting too much light. Yours look similar to mine when I upgraded my lighting and had the setting too high (not acclimated).

• 2 months later...

So I moved, had the tank upstairs and now moved it to the basement, cyanoacrylate hit hard had to restart the tank, my light broke I dont ha e time to work on it, so I got a hob aquaclear 20 and an abi 12w led mounted 2' from the water. And here we are.! 20190317_111309.thumb.jpg.76ed42f2c0e4924b8904c992b6a3c755.jpg

20190317_121425.thumb.jpg.885bc7dbdda8694002dea2f26f12ccc4.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry for your setbacks and loses, but it really is still a great looking tank!  I think if you can get away from the HOB it would be good--the minimal approach (less equipment) sure is slick looking.  Maybe you had issues as there was not enough established rock (natural filtration) in your system?  I skipped through the posts rather quickly so I cannot remember for sure if all of the rock was from your previous tank or not.  

I have a 5.5 AGA I bought in the late 1990s and have been itching to get one of those frame-free, low iron tanks.  Had a wonderfully fat ocellaris clownfish who jumped out as well.  Will go back to glass top when I get a new fish.  Closed top makes viewing a bit less than ideal, but sure does help keep the evaporation in check.