Top Shelf Aquatics

Affordable HOB protein skimmer?

anniebanana267

anniebanana267

hey, im looking for a hob protein skimmer that will be good for my 36 gallon reef, i need it to be under $100 at least. anyone have any suggestions please feel free to leave links or pictures or anything that might help. thanks.

edit: im looking at this one, its a great price does anyone think it would be good enough for my tank? thanks again.

https://www.chewy.com/instant-ocean-sea-clone-protein/dp/128915?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Instant Ocean&utm_campaign=hg&msclkid=510d780439eb14c1e1e623184e8c55c5&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping-Product Targets&utm_term=4585238365772757&utm_content=Instant Ocean

Are you dead set on having one without an air stone? Or do you not care? Because I got my ReefGlass protein skimmer and a cheap Tetra pump from walmart for under 100 bucks. Used a mason jar from the dollar store that was less than a dollar for the skimmate cup. This thing is awesome........Way easier to use than the Ghost skimmer that I paid 150 bucks for. Already skimming too. The foot print is ridiculously small as well. Some people may disagree that this is a good skimmer because of the air stone. But I'm having no problem with it. 

• Like 2
anniebanana267
5 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

Are you dead set on having one without an air stone? Or do you not care? Because I got my ReefGlass protein skimmer and a cheap Tetra pump from walmart for under 100 bucks. Used a mason jar from the dollar store that was less than a dollar for the skimmate cup. This thing is awesome........Way easier to use than the Ghost skimmer that I paid 150 bucks for. Already skimming too. The foot print is ridiculously small as well. Some people may disagree that this is a good skimmer because of the air stone. But I'm having no problem with it. 

I'm ashamed to say I'm not entirely sure what an air stone is. I mean, I know what an air stone is but how does it pertain to protein skimmers? Sounds like a good idea, glad its working for you! :)

4 hours ago, StevieT said:

The seaclone is one of the worst skimmers ever made.

Well that doesn't sound good. Would you mind sharing why, exactly?

There are skimmers that utilize a pump to skim. Then there are skimmers that use an air stone to achieve skim. I went the air stone route because it being just a 10 gallon with coral only, CUC and possibly some light feeding for the corals. I didn't want to SUPERSKIM and strip my tank of too many nutrients. Plus the Ghost skimmer was a micro bubble nightmare in a box and I wanted a smaller foot print. So I got the ReefGlass........

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, anniebanana267 said:

I'm ashamed to say I'm not entirely sure what an air stone is. I mean, I know what an air stone is but how does it pertain to protein skimmers? Sounds like a good idea, glad its working for you! 🙂

Well that doesn't sound good. Would you mind sharing why, exactly?

You question @StevieT? You have dry water. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
15 minutes ago, anniebanana267 said:

Would you mind sharing why, exactly?

It is a mass produced cheap price of shit that is mass sold at shitty pet stores like Petco. 

Any skimmer that retails for $44 with a flashy box is going to be a waste of money. 

Do a search here if you want more detail.

• Like 1

I know you're not working with a really large tank so here's a size comparison to a quarter with the Reef Glass that I mentioned. Don't mind the dirty back chambers I need to wipe that whole area down lol. Keep in mind that it's about 9 inches long give or take. 

IMG_20180611_194732_edit.jpg

• Like 1

Not a fan of HOB skimmers. But if your gonna hang something off the back cheap is not the way to go especially something with a pump that can pull 50% of the water out of your tank if there is an issue. The Tunze 9001 is small, affordable ~$100 and can be mounted in the tank and take up about the same space as the plumbing will take up for most HOB options. The sea clone is garbage its basically a bubble and noise maker. I like some of the reef octopus HOB's but your looking ~$170. Skimmers are not a necessity but if you feel you need one wait a couple paychecks and get something of quality with good reliable reviews, trust me you will spend less in the long run.   

• Like 2

If you should be able to find a used aquamaxx hob 1.0 for around $100. An absolutely amazing skimmer. They have a newer 1.5 now but that will be out of your price range but the 1.0 is still really really good.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

If you should be able to find a used aquamaxx hob 1.0 for around $100. An absolutely amazing skimmer. They have a newer 1.5 now but that will be out of your price range but the 1.0 is still really really good.

this 100%

• Like 1
anniebanana267

Thank you so much for all your replies. I’m glad I didn’t get it then. So pretty much I’ll look into an aquamaxx hob, tunze 9001 or reef glass. I will admit I never thought this hobby was so expensive. 🙃

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, anniebanana267 said:

Thank you so much for all your replies. I’m glad I didn’t get it then. So pretty much I’ll look into an aquamaxx hob, tunze 9001 or reef glass. I will admit I never thought this hobby was so expensive. 🙃

Oh boy 

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, anniebanana267 said:

You have no idea LOL. I'm in so much on this I.M 10 build!! I looked at the Red Sea 170 full kit the other day and I could have EASILY bought one of those and still had money left over for sand and rock LOL.  But, I really wanted the challenge and hands on attention and tweaking of a nano and i'm super happy with my decision. 

• Like 1
anniebanana267
On 6/15/2018 at 7:11 PM, ReefGoat said:

You have no idea LOL. I'm in so much on this I.M 10 build!! I looked at the Red Sea 170 full kit the other day and I could have EASILY bought one of those and still had money left over for sand and rock LOL.  But, I really wanted the challenge and hands on attention and tweaking of a nano and i'm super happy with my decision. 

I’ve definitely done that before (with other things) lol. I’d love to see how it comes out! Following 🙂

On 6/11/2018 at 8:44 PM, StevieT said:

It is a mass produced cheap price of shit that is mass sold at shitty pet stores like Petco. 

Any skimmer that retails for $44 with a flashy box is going to be a waste of money. 

Do a search here if you want more detail.

Can't believe it's still on the market! 

Notoriously known as a piece of plastic garbage. 

This hobby is expensive but expenses can be controlled if you don't buy everything made for reef keeping. Lol. 

You don't necessarily need a skimmer. 

Skimmers, controllers, reactors are great but not everyone uses them.

You can have a tank without them, especially nano's that are low bioload, no over feeding, and good husbandry is applied.

• Like 2