Pod Your Reef

Another Stocking Option Thread

Jono

Hey guys, 

I've been slowly adding livestock to my tank, and (bada da da daaaah) I'm loving it! My tank is a 30 gallon (48x12x12). 

So far, I have:

Green Clown Goby
Firefish
2 x (mocha?) Clownfish
Cleaner Shrimp
2 x nassarius snail
Trochus Snail

I also have 1 mushroom, 1 trumpet coral, and 1 duncan. 

My thoughts were that I could add one more fish. Do you agree? What would YOU add? 

I'm not planning on adding anything else anytime soon, but want to start researching and figuring out what it is I want, maybe save up for something a little more special. 

Why do you only have 1 snail?

You could add another small fish IMO, but I wouldn't push much more than that if you want to play it safe and have more biological headroom to work with.

I love my possum wrasse.  Once he adjusted to my tank he became quite the character.  Not sure if they will act more shy coming into a tank with other active swimmers or not.  

I only have 1 snail because the LFS was almost out of snails and the other ones looked to have vermetid snails on their shells, so I passed. 

Well I guess if you have no algae issues its not a big deal, but I've never seen a reef tank without them without some sort of control methods lol.  vermitids are easy to deal with on a snail shell, just take it out and super glue it shut.

Well I have 3 snails, just one trochus. I have 2 nassarius. But yeah that's a good point. I'll be getting more this week when they get more in, I just haven't had any algae issues yet so I figured it's pointless anyway.

In my 30 gallon I have a pair of clowns, a blackline blenny, and a link’s goby. Everything is nice and lively as is and I am *probably* not adding another fish but if I were going to I’d look to more of a burrowing species of fish as none of the fish in my system have that kind of behavior. Basically what I'm trying to say is if you want to add another fish look to see what kind of areas your fish inhabit and try to find a fish that doesn’t inhabit the same areas to limit possible aggression. I feel like you could definitely add another fish, I can vouch for both my fang blenny and goby as excellent inhabitants. Other fish I’ve had are a royal gramma (excellent fish but mine was territorial), a young orchid dottyback (great fish but emphasis on young, didn’t have it a long time so can’t talk about its behavior once established), and a geometric pygmy hawk (never ate prepared food and bullied the orchid dottyback). I could give other suggestions if you have an idea of what type of fish you’re looking for.