Innovative Marine Aquariums

Best All-in-one?

dougm

I'm thinking of getting back into saltwater, something small. I notice almost everyone upgrades, especially the lighting. Do any of the AIO's have a good enough light for LPS, softies? Which would you recommend? 

I haven't settled on a size, anywhere from 3 to 20 gal probably...

I'm sure i'll take some heat for it, but the light rig on the LED Biocubes are just fine for most softies, LPS and some SPS corals. Maybe not acropora but if you don't want a stick tank then why upgrade?

We have a Biocube 32 and it's pretty decent. Only real mods were removing all of the sponge and removing the bottom two shelves on the center shelf structure to allow for a small refugium in the middle chamber. No bio-balls, just a poly fill type filter pad changed once a week for mechanical filtration and a small bag of phosguard and purigen changed out monthly for chemical filtration. The chaeto, rock work, corals and scavengers handle the rest. 

I have a biocube.  Its OK.  If you want to run stock equipment with maybe some simple racks in the chambers you would be fine BUT it is a rimmed tank that was not designed for a bunch of upgrades/mods.  It can be a pain.  because of that I give them a 'C'. 

A Little Blue

If I was looking for AIO <20g, I would look into Cobalt C-vue. Nice craftsmanship and interesting size of back chambers. 

CarolinaShoreReef

I have the fluval sea evo 5 but would recommend the 13.5. Lights seem adequate for my softies and low level lps like candy canes. 

You can buy an all-in-one tank without the light..... Innovative Marine has very affordable all-in-one tanks and you can buy them without a light..... it seems to me that any light that is included in a package deal is usually not the greatest light..... except for maybe Red Seas version of an all in one.... they comes with radions and that's why they are top of the line..... I originally fell for that trick and bought my Innovative Marine 10-gallon Nuvo Fusion tank and it came with a crappy light that basically just allowed corals to survive not thrive.... so in my opinion don't waste your time and go get yourself a quality light in the first place....but that's just my opinion