TotesMaGoat

Aquamaxx 48: indecisive 🤷‍♂️

Howdy all! I decided to make a journal for my new tank which I have been piecing together for the past 6 months or so. I originally bought the stand and a used no name rimless 40 breeder but it had 1/4” glass. I decided a few weeks ago I wanted thicker glass and ended up ordering an aquamaxx 48. Very pleased with the construction of this tank. Side panels are 1/2”, fit and finish on everything is great.

last weekend I drilled it for a 800gph modular marine overflow, and ended up drilling the drain hole on the return side. Whoops. After all that planning and waiting... well I had a schedule 80 bulkhead and decided to use that for the return, problem solved. Ugly but it will work. Hopefully that will be the biggest hiccup of the build.

I am indecisive as to what kind of reef I want it to be. I initially was going to go with a mixed reef of lps & sps, then was leaning towards a softy/macro tank, I am thinking it will be mostly softies with a few stylos and some Seriatopora. 

My my last tank this size was thrown together quickly with all 2nd hand equipment, the overflow was super loud as it was my first time plumbing a tank, and it did not last long set up in the living room. This time around I decided I was going to do it right. Took my time planning it out (minus my drilling blunder😅) and chose equipment I knew would help it be a successful reef. My goal for the tank is low maintenance. I am a teacher and coach, and  don’t always have the time during the week to show it a ton of love besides feeding. Livestock from my fusion 10 will be transferred over. I will be moving the first week of July and plan on setting it up that same week or shortly after.

Tank: aquamaxx 48

Light: ATI 6x24 4B+ 1 P+ 1C+

Sump: Emerald 26

Skimmer: Reef Octopus 110sss

Return: Reef Octopus Varios 2

Controller: Apex Jr

i also have about 35lbs of Marco rock I will be using, i cemented a structure together using their cement. My plan is to have one longer structure and then a taller round island, wanted to go more minimal on the LR. Also, I made something to hang my ATI using electric conduit. Excited to get this going!

0DD00B1D-15C3-4558-89A4-6AAA174C3B5E.jpeg

6429EA84-8874-4B74-A9E0-2BD2D402CF2F.jpeg

EB1F1E87-1AB4-4C90-9921-B44CFDC6DA74.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Is the interior of the stand sealed or clear coated with anything? Might need to think about that with evaporation/condensation trapped in there from the sump. 

I’m running an aquamaxx 20” cube. They really are nice tanks for the price. Silicone work is very clean. Mines 6mm glass. I drilled for a glassholes overflow. 

8 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Is the interior of the stand sealed or clear coated with anything? Might need to think about that with evaporation/condensation trapped in there from the sump. 

There’s no sealant on the wood but I think it will get okay circulation with the hole for the plumbing

image.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jezmund said:

I’m running an aquamaxx 20” cube. They really are nice tanks for the price. Silicone work is very clean. Mines 6mm glass. I drilled for a glassholes overflow. 

I agree! And price was cheaper than if I had one with same footprint made. I’m real happy with it.

Looks nice... Every tank I make always seems to run smoother or more hands free if I have macro algae so I like that idea. Just be sure to run good carbon with it. 

On 6/8/2018 at 11:33 PM, Tamberav said:

Looks nice... Every tank I make always seems to run smoother or more hands free if I have macro algae so I like that idea. Just be sure to run good carbon with it. 

Definitely! Plan on running chaeto in the sump as well. Official move date is now July 2nd, going to be ordering either 2 icecap 1ks or a gyre 230 along with a 5 stage spectrapure today. What do y’all think considering the flow?

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions