inTank Media Baskets

anyone have a coralife 16 with LED?

sadie

I purchased a JBJ 12 gal a couple years ago with the LED lighting that isn't adequate enough for the coral I had.  I lost several coral before realizing it was the lights.  I am now looking at the Coralife 16 with LED and want to make sure I don't make the same mistake.

I want to have softies (GSP, toadstool, mushrooms) and LPS( hammer coral, candy cane, frogspawn).  How do these lights work for these type of coral and is the growth rate good?

My buddy has had one setup for a while now. His does fine with the stock LED lighting with what you have listed, and the growth rate is decent. The only problems he has had with the tank was heat. The lid holds a lot in. A small fan will remedy this.

Hi Sadie,

You will do great with tank. My hammer coral has split from 2 heads to 4 already, and my duncan corals/candy cane doing very well. My hammer is on the bottom of the tank and doing great, so lighting is not an issue.

I have not had an issue with heat as much as I had on my Biocube 14 Compact Fluro tank. That one would get much hotter. On my 96F days here in Cali my tank hit 81F maximum. 

I run my tank mostly stock outside of a koralia nano and filter media.

I highly recommend the Biocube 16 LED. 

thanks so much for the reply.  So happy to hear that. It looked like a good tank, but so did the JBJ.  At least this one has a moon light.  The 12 gal LED didn't have a moon light.😬  The hood was really loud.  

So excited.

You will like the light on this tank. The timer works well. The moonlight is a bit strong in that I would not leave it on all night. Its more of a 100% actinic light than a "moonlight"

If you look at my tank thread (below) you will see details on the lighting structure some of us are using.

I dont know what happened with those JBJ nanocubes, back in 2013 they were making good AIO tanks. but now the Fluval EVO 13 and BioCube 16 are the way to go if you want a closed top. I personally think the Biocube 16 has better components than the fluval, but both are good and personal preference.

banasophia

I love my Biocube 16, and definitely recommend it if you like a tank with a canopy. I needed a canopy due to two shedding golden retrievers, but I also like the look and the decreased evaporation. The programmable lights are great. My only regret was that I didn’t go with the 32 to have more space, but then again it’s pretty fun to work with the space limitations, and it fits nicely on an ikea kallax in my family room. 

My tank has has been up and running just over 3 months and everything is doing well so far. (Just added SPS last weekend - a monti cap and a birds nest - so eager to see how they do.)