Snow_Phoenix

Snow's Bedroom Nano - Tiny Clowns.

Cool post! I really like the Istiblennius dussumieri you linked... and the pictus ofc. I had to sell my Midas in my 22g, had a mean one, grabbed my clowns and shook them like a rabid dog 😮 I replaced it with a more 'peaceful' sixline wrasse. Ha! Hope you come across a pictus again someday, a small macro tank would just be heaven for one. Mine loves to nip at macros and algae. That and sit on toadstools like its lazyboy chair lol

9 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Cool post! I really like the Istiblennius dussumieri you linked... and the pictus ofc. I had to sell my Midas in my 22g, had a mean one, grabbed my clowns and shook them like a rabid dog 😮 I replaced it with a more 'peaceful' sixline wrasse. Ha! Hope you come across a pictus again someday, a small macro tank would just be heaven for one. Mine loves to nip at macros and algae. That and sit on toadstools like its lazyboy chair lol

The Istiblennius dussumieri is something new my LFS pulled in about six months ago. They still do pull it in, but have no official name for it - they just call it 'blenny' and leave it like that lol. 

Oh, yes, a small pictus + macro picotank would be heaven! I might even read up on doing a reef bowl or jar on this site and see if I can set up something similar. But this is of course, only if I'm lucky enough to get a Pictus again. Some inner feeling tells me they won't be importing anymore Pictuses in the future. 😞

Midas can be jerks! Mine was a nipper too. He fancied a spot in the tank and didn't like anyone going near him or his 'territory'. He actually bullied my Percula pair very badly. But I kept him because I loved him. He eventually had some sort of internal parasite - he was wasting away even though he was eating. My guess was worms, but he perished very quickly - days in fact, before I understood what might be wrong with him. 

Fun stuff in the mail today morning:

I had to replenish my stock of test kits. Most have expired or are on the verge of expiry (some of the older kits have been used for almost 4 years). Picked up a few extra things including liquid buffers for the tank as well as a new refractometer. I use a secondhand one which isn't very accurate despite being calibrated several times. I figured I might as well get a brand new one this time around. The AI Prime I ordered was originally black, but the vendor contacted me via phone and told me he did a stock-check and all the black units were sold out. So I opted for the white instead of waiting for more black units to arrive (which to be frank, could take up to a few months here). I also ordered the 18" flexible gooseneck holder for the light. 

I haven't assembled anything or toggled with the settings yet, simply because I had a second round of flu today morning and am exhausted + sick.

As for my fish, I lost 4 in QT. Both my Hi-Fins, my wrasse and my brotulid are no longer with me. 

Thanos the blenny and Goblin the GCG are still with me and I've just completed the 4th round of TTM yesterday evening. I'll be performing an extra round of TTM on Sat morning, and then proceed with usual weekly WCs while my DT runs fallow until the 4th week of Jan 2019.

As for the corals, some of my SPS pieces browned out after the tank hit a temp. spike and the temp. swelled up to 30'C. I was quite sick for 1 week so I turned off the AC. Usually I run the AC + fan simultaneously in my bedroom so the room is quite chill/cold, and the tank temp. remains around 25'C the most. I didn't realize turning off the AC would actually affect the tank, and didn't think much of it until my corals started receding and browning out overnight. Hoping the tank bounces back in time and all corals regain color. I haven't measured PO4 or NO3 levels using the new kits, but I'll do so shortly. I caught some of my RowaPhos leaking out into the DT from the sock-mesh-holder I keep it in, so I think that also has something to do with why my corals look like shit all of a sudden.

Once everything stabilizes back to normal, I'll try to get more pics up. 

• Like 1

Update: It turns out I had some deeper issues with the tank. The temp. range was back to normal, but one of my blue hairy mushrooms had began melting, and my green rhodactis colony was browning out at the edges. I also lost my gold banded shrimp and two hermits, so something was off. 

I did a big WC and when I pulled out the skimmer for the usual weekly clean-up, I was quite surprised that the skimmate was black (not even brown, but pitch). I quickly turned off everything except the light and I checked my HOB next, and I found that the nylon sock that I use to hold my RowaPhos and Activated Carbon had a hole and had been leaking media all over into the fuge and the back corners of the DT. Took me a few hours to clean up the mess and try to siphon out as much of the media as possible from the sandbed, empty the fugebox, drain it/scrub etc.

I used fresh carbon and fresh RowaPhos once the cleaning was done and the skimmer was cleaned and reintroduced into the DT. I'm sure some of the older media has seeped into the sandbed, but I *think I managed to stir/siphon the worst of it out. Today morning, all corals look reasonably better and all SPS is showing PE despite being browned out in some areas. I'm hoping the colors will come back and the pieces will recover in time, but I think it'll take a few more WCs to get everything back to normal again.

Also, I brought home a pair of aquacultured black and white Occys from the LFS, and placed them in a 7G QT in my bedroom (isolate from the major QT bin holding my blenny and GCG). The fish are super-tiny at 1" and 0.75" each. They'll remain in QT for 2 to 3 months before being introduced into the DT. 

As for the major QT housing my Starry and GCG, I've just finished my 5th and final round of TTM, so the fish *should be ich-free. But they'll remain in QT until the end of Jan/first week of Feb to wait out the fallow period. 

I haven't set up my AI Prime HD yet. I'm still looking through the list of settings everyone else uses by visiting build threads on NR, to determine what setting will work the best for my tank and its current corals. Plus, things have been quite busy with all the WCs to do so and other stuff going on. 

Once the light is up, I'll update and post more pics. 

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions