Snow_Phoenix

Snow's 20G Lazarus Pit - Where Dead Critters Come Back to Live (With a Sting!)

Update:

1. This was my dilemma yesterday:

I managed to use a brine net to scoop up my male and place him in the fuge last night. This morning, I noticed he was back out in the DT, so I decided it'd be best to leave him be. Since my water level is higher than the level of the fugebox, the dragonets can freely move in and out of the fugebox area at all times. So I guess I'll give them the liberty of swimming in and out freely, as long as they don't get trapped or stuck.

Both Thanos and Goblin are improving. Goblin is actively feeding now, and Thanos prefers grazing from the tank wall or rocks, although there's no discernible algae on them (at least, not from what I can see). I'll be sticking some Nori sheets in the tank later, so hopefully he'll grab a bite before my hermits get to it.

This was the zoa colony I picked up last Sat. It's a combo of regular green and ultra green zoas, but there are two irritating brown palys (the bad kind) wedged between some of the polyps in the far right of the colony. I'll be gluing them over because I think removing them manually using a blade would be difficult + risk getting poisoned:

Also, I asked some ID help for my favia/chalices on the forum, and thanks to Granite and Clown, I managed to get all four pieces IDed:

1. Christmas Favia:

2. Cherry garcia chalice:

3. Emerald mummy eye chalice:

4. Blue/green chalice:

I might up my Calcium dosing since some of my SPS pieces (eg. Pavona, monti caps etc.) seem to be growing rather quickly. Overall, the tank still remains quite stable and healthy. Also, I lost my purple rock urchin. Lost, as in it's *missing, not dead. The one freaky thing I've noticed about this tank is that things have a tendency to go missing for weeks - sometimes even months, and then seemingly return from the 'dead'. :ninja:

(If that urchin somehow makes it back, I'm renaming this thread to 'Snow's 20G Lazarus Pit'). 

(Speaking of the urchin, my gold banded shrimp is also 'missing', so that's two critters now). 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 12:13 AM, Snow_Phoenix said:

Update:

1. This was my dilemma yesterday:

I managed to use a brine net to scoop up my male and place him in the fuge last night. This morning, I noticed he was back out in the DT, so I decided it'd be best to leave him be. Since my water level is higher than the level of the fugebox, the dragonets can freely move in and out of the fugebox area at all times. So I guess I'll give them the liberty of swimming in and out freely, as long as they don't get trapped or stuck.

Both Thanos and Goblin are improving. Goblin is actively feeding now, and Thanos prefers grazing from the tank wall or rocks, although there's no discernible algae on them (at least, not from what I can see). I'll be sticking some Nori sheets in the tank later, so hopefully he'll grab a bite before my hermits get to it.

This was the zoa colony I picked up last Sat. It's a combo of regular green and ultra green zoas, but there are two irritating brown palys (the bad kind) wedged between some of the polyps in the far right of the colony. I'll be gluing them over because I think removing them manually using a blade would be difficult + risk getting poisoned:

Also, I asked some ID help for my favia/chalices on the forum, and thanks to Granite and Clown, I managed to get all four pieces IDed:

1. Christmas Favia:

2. Cherry garcia chalice:

3. Emerald mummy eye chalice:

4. Blue/green chalice:

I might up my Calcium dosing since some of my SPS pieces (eg. Pavona, monti caps etc.) seem to be growing rather quickly. Overall, the tank still remains quite stable and healthy. Also, I lost my purple rock urchin. Lost, as in it's *missing, not dead. The one freaky thing I've noticed about this tank is that things have a tendency to go missing for weeks - sometimes even months, and then seemingly return from the 'dead'. :ninja:

(If that urchin somehow makes it back, I'm renaming this thread to 'Snow's 20G Lazarus Pit'). 

(Speaking of the urchin, my gold banded shrimp is also 'missing', so that's two critters now). 

I’m finally back in! I just got a new phone and I wonder if that was the issue?

11 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I’m finally back in! I just got a new phone and I wonder if that was the issue?

I think the pics are taking too long to load. Not sure, but I sometimes experience it on my laptop too. Perhaps more words, less pics would help in the future...? 🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I think the pics are taking too long to load. Not sure, but I sometimes experience it on my laptop too. Perhaps more words, less pics would help in the future...? 🤔

Maybe just shorter bursts of pics?

Im so glad everyone seems to be doing much better. 🙂

4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Maybe just shorter bursts of pics?

Im so glad everyone seems to be doing much better. 🙂

Yeah, I think that should be work. 🙂

They seem to be chugging along, but I still worry about the dragonets. Sometimes they eat, sometimes they don't. 😞 

I also snapped off my Pink Acro. It STNed all the way to the top and after a while, only the tip was covered in flesh. I debated regluing it, but there was only 1cm of pink left, so I decided to remove it from my system. Every other coral is alright, thankfully. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Yeah, I think that should be work. 🙂

They seem to be chugging along, but I still worry about the dragonets. Sometimes they eat, sometimes they don't. 😞 

I also snapped off my Pink Acro. It STNed all the way to the top and after a while, only the tip was covered in flesh. I debated regluing it, but there was only 1cm of pink left, so I decided to remove it from my system. Every other coral is alright, thankfully. 

Hopefully since they have made it this far they’ll keep improving. 🤞🏻🙂

• Like 1

This thread has been renamed the 'Lazarus Pit' in honor of all the critters that conveniently 'vanish' for weeks/months and turn up perfectly fine - the latest being this little ball of hell:

Mr. Prickles here just cost me a trip to two doctors, a partial nail removal, three extremely painful local anesthetic injections, and much-digging through the nailbed of my left index finger. Long story short, yesterday started off great - and devolved into a nightmare by mid-morning. My female dragonette, Zorah, slipped behind the fugebox and was stuck. I had to lift a box packed with 5kg of LR and macro, and then lift out the centerpiece LR that had all my SPS frags (except my Pavona) glued to it, because Zorah kept darting between the rocks and was almost getting squished. In short, I was trying my best to isolate her and my male, Zemo, into an in-tank breeder box to target-feed them better because they lost weight. 

Well, simply put, I was careless. The centerpiece LR hosting all my coral slipped from my grip and dropped back into the tank and smashed my Pavona into 4 fragments, squashed my Acans, unpinned my toadstool leather until it flopped over, broke my red and blue digis, scrapped the flesh off my green monti until the white skeleton could be seen underneath, knocked my red monti off its frag plug (thankfully it was intact and didn't break) etc. ---> basically, a whole trail of disasters. :sad:

I panicked, scooped my dragonette out and isolated her, then tried to scoop up my purple rock urchin who crawled up the back panel of my glass ---> BIG MISTAKE. The little bugger became defensive and stabbed me good. I didn't realize one of his spikes broke off and penetrated my nailbed until I saw the blood. By then I was panicking even more (not good) and trying to salvage whatever corals I could by gluing down fragments off them (and I had glue all over my fingers too - it was a really, really bad day). I lost a few coral pieces including my green acro. I managed to save the pavona, and glued it down in four different spots in hopes that one of them might live. As for the SPS, they're all either peeled off, broken or are in fragments. The only lucky piece to survive this debacle intact was my red monti. 😞

Back to the spike lodged in my finger - I only realized how deep it had gone in when I brought my finger under the aquarium lights and saw this long, blackish, diagonal spike under my nail. I first tried to dig it out myself using a needle, but an urchin spike is cylindrical at the base, and you'll need a forceps to get it out - the medical-grade kind. 

So I ran downstairs, told my very displeased mother what had happened, and both of us took a trip to the clinic outside our house. After 10 minutes of cutting off a small section of my nail and digging through the nailbed, the doctor admitted she couldn't get it out because she didn't have a tool small enough. She recommended I either go to another clinic, get the whole nail removed or go to the hospital and see my surgeon immediately.

I didn't fancy clinic-hopping so I called my father, and drove down to his clinic 30km away with my mother in tow. My dad apparently does nail removals every biweekly, so he was quite good at this. He actually brought out all his tools (huge-ass scary ones which I would rather not see conscious) and begin hacking off my nail bit by bit. Spike was lodged too deep, and I was in too much pain halfway through, so he gave three injections of local anesthetic (1 on either side of the finger, 1 directly into the nailbed) ---> this turned out to be more painful than nail-hacking. :scarry:

Then we removed chunks of my nail, dug through my nailbed and removed fragments of the spike (didn't realize urchin spikes were hollow until they disintegrated), and my mother drove me home. 

^So now my finger has been bandaged and tbh, the pain after extraction has dulled after a day, which I'm grateful for. According to my dad, it'll take 3 weeks to heal fully. 

So yes, urchins. 

(Also, my whole family is on Mr. Prickles side in this issue. They suggested I use tongs or forceps to pick him up next time - I'm still getting an earful during lunch and dinner).

So yes, I was careless. A painful and valuable lesson - don't mess with sea critters. :ninja:

(Thank goodness my urchin wasn't poisonous - I'd probably be in ICU by now if it was)

Moving forward, here are some tank pics (sorry for the photo-heavy thread. If you're having trouble commenting or loading the page, it's probably due to the images and vids):

I'll be taking a break from the tank over the next few days until I heal up better. I'll have to delay my WCs, but I'm not risking an infection by exposing an open wound to SW, of all things. Until then, I'll just hope for the best that the crushed and damaged corals will bounce back in time. 

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions