inTank Media Baskets

BTA, mini maxi, or rock flower nems?

12scanlon

49 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Don’t go crazy chasing PH. Keep your Alk/Ca relatively stady and everything should stabilize over time. Also, I would not try to change your parameters/flow/lighting etc. to suit specific species. Keep what works in your tank. If it doesn’t work, just move on to what works and keep animals that seem to thrive in your tank. 

I know. Im trying to slowly increase both while keeping everything the same. Everything seems fine right now except the monti. 

Thanks 

A Little Blue
7 minutes ago, 12scanlon said:

I know. Im trying to slowly increase both while keeping everything the same. Everything seems fine right now except the monti. 

Thanks 

Montis take Alk swings quite hard. 

Post your Ca/Alk reading when you can. 

A Little Blue
7 minutes ago, mtgmichaelg said:

Get a RFA, BTA are really annoying in small tanks. I sold mine just because it kept moving around. 

That’s the main issue. Some ppl get lucky, ... they end up with BTA that doesn’t move a lot or it doesn’t move at all, and others go thru a nightmare of destruction that BTA leaves behind. 

There are also measures that need to be taken to keep BTA safely away from power heads and overflow grid. Just a few things to consider b4 getting 1. 

I’ve RFA that walks around all over my tank and it’s slowly getting under my skin. I can only imagine aggravation that BTA could caused. 

17 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Montis take Alk swings quite hard. 

Post your Ca/Alk reading when you can. 

I’m not at home for a couple days because I’m on vacation. Will post them when I get home. 

• Like 1

I’m home and my alk is 9.5 and ph 8.3 everything is stable but my monti is slowly dying still and to much damage was done so it will probably die. Anyways when do y’all think my tank Wallis be ready for a BTA. I found some really nice BTAs and hour and 10 minutes away and am thinking of going to pick them up. What do y’all think? 

17 minutes ago, 12scanlon said:

I’m home and my alk is 9.5 and ph 8.3 everything is stable but my monti is slowly dying still and to much damage was done so it will probably die. Anyways when do y’all think my tank Wallis be ready for a BTA. I found some really nice BTAs and hour and 10 minutes away and am thinking of going to pick them up. What do y’all think? 

Don’t start with a really nice (maybe also means expensive?) one. Get el cheapo and find out if your tank is ready. 

7 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Don’t start with a really nice (maybe also means expensive?) one. Get el cheapo and find out if your tank is ready. 

It’s 30 dollars and then the rock nem is 10 soooooo pretty cheap.

I’ll post a pic of it. 

RFAs have my vote. I’ve had BTA’s and other anemones and no matter how stable you keep things—some variable changes the least bit and they move...stinging corals, hiding under cave or in back, or worse yet pushing themselves into the overflow or the absolute worst is into a pump shredding themselves.

On the other hand, my RFA has stayed in the snail shell I acclimated him into my tank with and has stayed put the entire time. Very low maintenance, likes a sunny spot on bottom with low flow. I reef glued 4 old shells equidistant around him, so he is suspended off the temptation of the sand or other rockwork, furthermore has another possible hole to travel to instead of wandering (hasn’t done so even once yet). Simultaneously, the shells suspending him kind of encourages him to stay open practically all day and night, resting his body on them as he stays stretched open.

88692046-C5E2-4ECC-A5A8-799B9F3CA965.thumb.jpeg.4f8b770a257596fbd2adc996fc0902ba.jpeg

11 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

At that price get em all. 

Right, thats like almost too good a price lol. Go with a friend, jic haha.

• Like 1

The first BTA looks really nice; but for a 16 gallon tank, I wouldn't get two BTAs.  TBH, I still think that an RFA is a better choice for that size tank.

And without rereading the entire thread, I'm a bit concerned about stability.  Your tank's alkalinity crashed like a week ago.  A week of stability isn't that comforting.  Personally this sounds like an impulse buy,  I'd feel better waiting another month to ensure that everything is fine.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, seabass said:

The first BTA looks really nice; but for a 16 gallon tank, I wouldn't get two BTAs.  TBH, I still think that an RFA is a better choice for that size tank.

And without rereading the entire thread, I'm a bit concerned about stability.  Your tank's alkalinity crashed like a week ago.  A week of stability isn't that comforting.  Personally this sounds like an impulse buy,  I'd feel better waiting another month to ensure that everything is fine.

Yeh I was only planning on getting one BTA and maybe 1 rockflower nem. Also I was thinking maybe I should buy a cheap tiny Acro frags or monti and see if it does well to see how stable everything is. Also I have been thinking about getting an anemone for the last 2 or 3 months but never could get one then right when I went to buy one my alk dropped like crazy. I was literally in the store and asked them to test my alk real quick and that was what happened. 

Thanks

IMO, without knowing, I'd wait on getting Acropora.  The anemones will be more forgiving, but they want stability too.  Just my 2 cents.

11 minutes ago, seabass said:

IMO, without knowing, I'd wait on getting Acropora.  The anemones will be more forgiving, but they want stability too.  Just my 2 cents.

Ok 👌🏼 I just don’t wanna pay a lot for the anemone and then it die... I’d rather get a cheap Acro frag then if it dies it’s not as big of a deal. Thx

my LFS might give me a small broken branch free or something 😉 u never know 

5 hours ago, Mkus said:

I have rocks and a mini red carpet none have moved since ive added them great additions I have a 24 jbj with tru lumen leds

Cool 😎 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 hours ago, Mkus said:

I have rocks and a mini red carpet none have moved since ive added them great additions I have a 24 jbj with tru lumen leds

So maybe I'm the only one that has had rock flowers move on me lol. I have 3 and two of the 3 moved around. My latest addition moved for a full day( not very far) and just moved again yesterday. I might have found the only two rock flowers that move. My first one moved half inch and has stayed put for over two months.

3 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

So maybe I'm the only one that has had rock flowers move on me lol. I have 3 and two of the 3 moved around. My latest addition moved for a full day( not very far) and just moved again yesterday. I might have found the only two rock flowers that move. My first one moved half inch and has stayed put for over two months.

One of mine moves around, the other 4 stay where I initially placed them.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

ive never kept a nem, but if i were to choose, id go for the mini nems. im actually looking into getting some. will they hurt coral/hermits(tiny, like 1/2-1/4in)/fish(5-10cm(2-4in))? if they would, id just go rhodactis. looks very similar.