inTank Media Baskets

Good morning all! (we'll it's morning here in the UK at least)

My name is Andy, I used to have a large marine tank approx 10 years ago, but I stopped keeping fish, and started keeping children... Now they're a bit more grown up i've decided to get another marine set up, but this time i've got a lot smaller with the Fluval Evo Sea 13.5

So far it's stayed stock and i've not upgraded anything, I used live sand, but not live rock, and then supplemented the cycle process with the RedSea Starter kit,

the parameters are doing well, and so far i've added;

7x turbo snails, 

1x fire shrimp,

1x kenya tree

1x rock of zoa

also, i didn't know until a day after the zoa rock went in, but i had some sort of bivalve attached! which seems to be doing well too 🙂

in terms of longer term plans, i will be adding a few more corals, and then a pair of young clowns 🙂 and maybe adding a bit more flow to the tank

here's a few pics so far,

IMG_2579.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

• Like 2

cheers 🙂

It's only been set up for 7-8 weeks, but it seems to be going well so far.

I initially had an issue with the 'brown algae' diatoms, because the snails were constantly on the rock and not my sand bed. Now they've sorted the rock out they're plowing through the sand bed and keeping it relatively clear.

My parameters have been solid for the last 3 weeks now, so i think were going to add a couple of small clowns this weekend.

Thanks 🙂

Does anyone know of any UK based sites which do good mods/upgrades for the Evo 13.5? all the ones i've seen online are mainly US sites 😞

9 minutes ago, afcajax73 said:

Thanks 🙂

Does anyone know of any UK based sites which do good mods/upgrades for the Evo 13.5? all the ones i've seen online are mainly US sites 😞

I almost sound like i work for intank because i keep recommending there basket lol! (I dont) but in my evo the best upgrades i did hands down was the chamber 1 and 2 media basket with a sicce 0.5 upgraded circulation pump.   Hands down for the best.

Did you plug the hole in the back wall??

That will also improve you water quality and filtration

if you mean the small hole in the middle? no... I didn't know that was a good idea to do?!

I have a skimmer in chamber one, and it seems to be doing a decent job so far. I was a bit sceptical about having one in such a small tank, but so far so good. 

I do want to change out my filter in chamber 2, but i'm still researching what to go for.

I had a look on intank earlier today but could only see US prices etc. (unless I'm thinking of the wrong site)

NanoreefingMP

Join the “fluval evo reef group” on Facebook. Multiple people from the uk on there. You could ask where they get there stuff from.

2 hours ago, afcajax73 said:

if you mean the small hole in the middle? no... I didn't know that was a good idea to do?!

I have a skimmer in chamber one, and it seems to be doing a decent job so far. I was a bit sceptical about having one in such a small tank, but so far so good. 

I do want to change out my filter in chamber 2, but i'm still researching what to go for.

I had a look on intank earlier today but could only see US prices etc. (unless I'm thinking of the wrong site)

Intank is us based.

Here is pic of my chambers

20180527_072430.jpg

20180527_072425.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NanoreefingMP said:

Join the “fluval evo reef group” on Facebook. Multiple people from the uk on there. You could ask where they get there stuff from.

Unfortunately I’m not on Facebook 😞 I’ll have to keep trawling the net! Haha thanks for the suggestion though 🙂 

41 minutes ago, nsousa said:

Intank is us based.

Here is pic of my chambers

20180527_072430.jpg

20180527_072425.jpg

Looks good that, did you notice a big difference? (I imagine you did) 

18 hours ago, afcajax73 said:

Cheers 🙂 

did id you use a guide somewhere? 

Na, I just uised some eggcrate, made this shape |_| and turned it upside and put filter floss on top

51 minutes ago, k4ndyk1ng said:

Na, I just uised some eggcrate, made this shape |_| and turned it upside and put filter floss on top

nice :)

monkeyboy123987
On 6/5/2018 at 6:29 PM, afcajax73 said:

I’ll have to see what I can find here in the UK I’m sure there’s got to be something about.

Hi afcajax73,

Check out these guys, I have bought one!

https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/shop/aquatics/filtration/intank-upgrades/intank-fluval-evo-52l-media-basket-chamber-1

https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/shop/aquatics/filtration/intank-upgrades/intank-fluval-evo-52l-media-basket-chamber-2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, monkeyboy123987 said:

ahh that's awesome, thanks :)

sorry for the delay in reply I've been away for a few days.

In regards to an update, I've added 2x clowns approx. 2 weeks ago, and they're doing good so far. I'll get some pics up a bit later on :)

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, monkeyboy123987 said:

Just ordered the one for chamber 2 :)

I have a skimmer in chamber 1, so just punting for chamber 2 for now.

Thanks again for the link

monkeyboy123987
On 6/22/2018 at 8:14 AM, afcajax73 said:

Just ordered the one for chamber 2 🙂

I have a skimmer in chamber 1, so just punting for chamber 2 for now.

Thanks again for the link

no problem, Im not running the skimmer at the moment so I bought the chamber 1 version. 😉

ThisPlaceIsAPrison

Welcome, I'm an EVO keeper myself.  I always say keep this thing as stock as possible.  The lighting works!  I started mine 7 months ago.  I need to address my diatom issue asap, other than that this tank has made me happy as a first time fishkeeper.

23 hours ago, monkeyboy123987 said:

no problem, Im not running the skimmer at the moment so I bought the chamber 1 version. 😉

:) It's turned up, but I've not put it in yet.. that's tomorrows job..

I have however added a couple of new corals,

a candy cane and a Duncan.

21 hours ago, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

Welcome, I'm an EVO keeper myself.  I always say keep this thing as stock as possible.  The lighting works!  I started mine 7 months ago.  I need to address my diatom issue asap, other than that this tank has made me happy as a first time fishkeeper.

looks good that mate,

I got rid of mine by reducing the amount of time I ran my lights.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow

ThisPlaceIsAPrison
On 6/26/2018 at 7:56 AM, afcajax73 said:

:) It's turned up, but I've not put it in yet.. that's tomorrows job..

I have however added a couple of new corals,

a candy cane and a Duncan.

looks good that mate,

I got rid of mine by reducing the amount of time I ran my lights.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow

I'm running mine for 7 hours, perhaps I should drop down to 5?

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:46 PM, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

I'm running mine for 7 hours, perhaps I should drop down to 5?

sorry mate, I didn't know I had a reply!

I suppose it's what works for you, but I dropped mine as it was getting a bit of algae build up