Top Shelf Aquatics

Did I just kill everything?

Phill2222

I washed my hands with some “SoftSoap” brand soap, and was going to check the salinity I dropped the hydrometer and without thinking stuck my hand in the tank to get it, is my tank and corals in danger? No bubbles are on the surface, I washed all the soap off prior to sticking my hand in the tank. Please help! Thanks!

Stock: two clowns : two damsels : and a diamond back goby. 

Corals Kenya trees; mushrooms; Duncan corals; zoanthids; green star polyps; Xenia coral; clove coral. And some acans 

Just now, burtbollinger said:

probably not

Ok just making sure I was adding water because my salinity was a bit off and dropped it as I said just worried still a bit new only 7 or so months in

VictoryBell

I've done this a few times since starting the hobby and so far I haven't had any problems. (I just try not to make a habit of it.)

• Thanks 1
banasophia

Ah I hate that... putting your hand in the tank and then thinking you had some kind of residue on your hand that you forgot to scrub off and watching worriedly to see if everyone is okay. I did that once about a month or so ago and I was so worried, but thankfully everything was fine. Nowadays I rinse my hands super thoroughly whenever I wash them, and don’t use lotion on my hands or arms if I think I’ll need to put my hands in for anything that day. 

• Thanks 1

We worry too much about nothing, I have never crashed a tank from my hands or seen anyone post their tank crashed after they put their hands in it. It is always an ATO failure, dosing failure, heater failure, power outage, stray current, disturbing DSB, or just neglect, ect. I am sure there is plenty of pollution just floating in the air landing in the tank, ect. If hands are dirty enough to crash a tank, I would question your hygiene @.o

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
banasophia
15 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

We worry too much about nothing, I have never crashed a tank from my hands or seen anyone post their tank crashed after they put their hands in it. It is always an ATO failure, dosing failure, heater failure, power outage, stray current, disturbing DSB, or just neglect, ect. I am sure there is plenty of pollution just floating in the air landing in the tank, ect. If hands are dirty enough to crash a tank, I would question your hygiene @.o

I have seen someone post that they crashed their tank after putting their hands in with cleaning chemical residue they hadn’t fully rinsed off. And my hubby and daughter won’t be putting their hands in my tank without washing and rinsing them first. It’s a small, contained system, and I certainly want to do my best to avoid carelessly adding any chemicals that could prove toxic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I have seen someone post that they crashed their tank after putting their hands in with cleaning chemical residue they hadn’t fully rinsed off. And my hubby and daughter won’t be putting their hands in my tank without washing and rinsing them first. It’s a small, contained system, and I certainly want to do my best to avoid carelessly adding any chemicals that could prove toxic.

I mean.. sure if I go use window cleaner and then put them into the tank... but that's pretty stupid if you don't simply wash your hands first.

I am not saying not to wash your hands, I am saying it's pretty difficult to crash a tank this way if you have some common sense. 

If you wash your hands and they aren't soapy feeling, what are we freaking out about?

Personally I run carbon on all my tanks passively as a precaution to chemicals on hands/in air, ect.

Ofc... I see tons of people who do not wash their hands after using the public bathroom and that is just gross too... so nothing is surprising!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 6/9/2018 at 12:48 PM, Tamberav said:

I mean.. sure if I go use window cleaner and then put them into the tank... but that's pretty stupid if you don't simply wash your hands first.

I am not saying not to wash your hands, I am saying it's pretty difficult to crash a tank this way if you have some common sense. 

If you wash your hands and they aren't soapy feeling, what are we freaking out about?

Personally I run carbon on all my tanks passively as a precaution to chemicals on hands/in air, ect.

Ofc... I see tons of people who do not wash their hands after using the public bathroom and that is just gross too... so nothing is surprising!

I think the same way.

If you have creams or chemicals on the hands then you may see an issue occur but in general I don't scrub my skin down like surgeons do before putting my hands in my tank.

• Thanks 1