inTank Media Baskets

Lighting

Arod125

I currently have a kessil a150 over my 29 gallon 30 inch long tank it looks great but not happy with growth would the a160we be an improvement looking for suggestions.

I wana stick with kessil on the cheaper side tho and mainly soft maybe some lps and 1 or 2 sps currently have some zoas pallys mushroom and green star that hasn't grown much at all

1 hour ago, Arod125 said:

I wana stick with kessil on the cheaper side tho and mainly soft maybe some lps and 1 or 2 sps currently have some zoas pallys mushroom and green star that hasn't grown much at all

Thats gonna be tough to cover the spread of the tank with a single fixture. I have never used kessil so I cant really speak to that. Have you ever considered 2 AI primes over the tank to get better coverage? That could be why your growth is struggling. I know you said you wanna stick with kessil but a lot of people have a ton of success with the primes, and you can find them for pretty cheap on the marketplace regularly. Maybe look for a second kessil on the marketplace as well.. Are you opposed to having two light fixtures vs one?

No I'm not they just dont make the a150 like I have anymore so there's not much point lol and I have thought about the ai primes but man the kessil shimmer is hard to beat

Long tanks need multiple pendant lights to fully cover it or you need to go with full length fixtures like Current Orbit, Aquamaxx, or t5 fixtures.

So If you want to  stick with kessil, you will have to add an additional fixture for a 30 long.

A Little Blue

I had single A160 for a while on 36” tank and grew some LPS/SPS. You’re going to be limited to about 20” (if you set it about 12”-18” above water surface) spread of usable PAR. (You can look into my journal for details). A160 is about %15 more powerful than A150 model. 

A Little Blue
Just now, Arod125 said:

Ok so the 30 inch tank wont be to bad I'm keeping most of the coral more centered 

You should be fine. There are dozens of SPS corals that you can keep with ease under this light.  Just keep them up high. 

As far as sides of tank where light isn’t that great, you can still grow light sensitive species. 

5 hours ago, Arod125 said:

No I'm not they just dont make the a150 like I have anymore so there's not much point lol and I have thought about the ai primes but man the kessil shimmer is hard to beat

I agree about the kessil. I’ve never seen a Nanobox tank in person so I can’t comment there. The AI fixtures just don’t blend the colors the same way. If I was going big I’d just do mh t5 combo as those are the best looking I’ve ever seen in person.