Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is a UV Sterilizer Overkill on a Nano

Stoops718

Rather than list the potential drawbacks, what positive action are you hoping it will do for your tank?  In other words why do you think a UV sterilizer is needed for your tank? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoops718 said:

I'm just a sucker for tech and low maintenance.

High tech usually means more work in the long run not less. More things to go wrong. Don’t fall for it. In most nanos a water change will accomplish everything.  

• Like 3
On 6/4/2018 at 12:04 PM, WV Reefer said:

High tech usually means more work in the long run not less. More things to go wrong. Don’t fall for it. In most nanos a water change will accomplish everything.  

+10 on the above.  As a Marine Engineer and for 30 yrs as a deepwater Subsea Engineer on underwater blowout preventor  control systems.  We used fiber optics and acoustic signals using multiplexing communication 30 years ago.  The more bells and whistles the more failure points.  

I use dynamic equilibrium for a control system.  Carbon dioxide as a free inert gas combines with water to maintain pH using alkalinity supplied by carbon dioxide and then using the biochemistry of photosynthesis produces glucose which is a carbon source to grow coral.  Soluble nitrogen gas in the water combines with cynobacteria to form nitrate molecules in a process called “nitrogen fixation”.

UV sterilizer, if used on a continuous basis, will strip out free swimming bacteria.  As you learn more about coral nutrition, you will find that corals live in organic soups that recycle nutrients very efficiently in a process called the “microbial loop”.  When 60% of the food energy is in this microbial loop, I use it to feed corals and other filter feeders.  A UV sterilizer and a protein skimmer skew free swimming bacteria populations.  UV sterilizer kills bacteria by rupturing outer membrane allowing nutrients to be released.    Protein skimmer uses surface tension on bubbles to capture and remove bacteria with the skimmate.  I consider neither a good thing for longevity in a reef tank.

UV should not effect macro or coralline algae.

To answer your first question.  Not only is it overkill, in most cases, it is harmful.  It is unnecessary except for few occasions.  If you overfeed and underclean you will pollute the water.  The sterilizer would treat the symptoms.

• Like 4

This tank is set up for 25  years with no bells & whistles.  John Turlock said it best in his book  “The Natural Reef Aquarium”

LESS TECHNOLOGY / MORE BIOLOGY

• Like 3
MainelyReefer

It might be overkill to run it 24/7 but some people do and in reefing everyone has success differently.  On my local forum the members were all discussing how they love having a UV sterilizer.  It is not overkill to have a UV sterilizer as an optional tool and I'm really glad to see IM has made one just for their tanks.  Ill be buying the midsize to keep on hand for my IM40, plus while gadgets and gizmos may fail or not be 100% needed, system design and customization is one of the most fun parts of keeping a tank.  Keeping a 25 year old softies tank and eating macros from it isn't for everyone.

12 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

It might be overkill to run it 24/7 but some people do and in reefing everyone has success differently.  On my local forum the members were all discussing how they love having a UV sterilizer.  It is not overkill to have a UV sterilizer as an optional tool and I'm really glad to see IM has made one just for their tanks.  Ill be buying the midsize to keep on hand for my IM40, plus while gadgets and gizmos may fail or not be 100% needed, system design and customization is one of the most fun parts of keeping a tank.  Keeping a 25 year old softies tank and eating macros from it isn't for everyone.

No doubt that tools can be used differently.  I read scientific papers about how to evaluate success in a reef tank.  

Everyone’s idea of success is differrent.  Enjoy yours.

• 3 weeks later...

Everybody has their own ideas and success or failure stories and opinions...that's great. I'll give you mine. I've been keeping tanks since I was 15, I'm 53. The hobby has evolved. I'm setting up my first nano tank in my daughters bedroom (bio-cube 32g) and I feel absolutely naked going into this without a UV filter, Calcium Reactor, a protein skimmer(which I will have) and an ICF at the least. That's my comfort zone. I'm just not sure what all I can fit in the stand. Granted my main tank is a 750 so I have plenty of room under it...lol!

• 4 months later...

I was wanting a small UV steriliser to help combat a dino outbreak in tandem with other treatments. I may just pick up the one for my IM to use from time to time,, but my mums new tank setup just had a monster dino outbreak - so I want to use it as an occasional treatment (also I could use it or my summertime pond setup)

so aside of the IM desktop, what other tiny UV sterilisers are there out there?  the tank in question is about 4.5 g

• 3 years later...

My aquarium has a pretty serious case of algae blooms. After doing some research, I decided to add a UV sterilizer to my tank. I used Fluval in the Line UVC Clariifier. According to my observations, the water becomes clear after only one day. Stubborn moss is also cleared.

It would be a great idea to open a thread of your own.  The thread you posted on is 4 or 5 years old I think.  🙂

I'm glad you seem to have gotten results like you wanted, but generally UV is not a successful approach for controlling algae.

If you have any further questions or problems, I would suggest starting a thread of your own that includes a tank picture and results from water tests for (at least) nitrates and phosphates.

• 2 months later...
jadeveonclownfish

I have had one on a 20G nano and seem limited correlation with water quality relative to just regular water changes. As mentioned, one more thing to break and maintain.