SaltCritters.com

Fluconazole Day 1

FollyFish

• 2 years later...
Andy LaBella

I know this thread is about 3 years old but I'm also now in a battle with the dreaded GHA for about 4 months now.  I took very similar paths as you all.  I upped the CUC.  I got a tomini tang, a tailspot, a court jester and a baby one spot foxface.  I have so many snails, hermits, 2 emeralds and a tuxedo urchin.  I've kept my levels mostly in check.  I decreased my light time and do 100% blues and 25% white.  I've done 2x 3 day blackouts and decreased my feeding to every other day frozen mysis.  I had a cyano outbreak bad 3 months ago and did chemiclean and been ok since.  I've done so much manual removal my finger tips are killing me.  I've even done a little spot treatment of peroxide 3%.  So now it's time to try reefflux.  I have a 65gal Red Sea Max 250, so not really a nano, but i just need to do on a larger scale.  I plan to do a water change this weekend, remove my chemipure blue and phosguard, kill the skimmer and do 5-6 capsules.  How long til i can put back the phosguard and/or chemipure?

IMG_7846.jpg

IMG_7989.jpg

IMG_7990.jpg

IMG_7991.jpg

IMG_7995.jpg

IMG_7996.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 7/2/2021 at 7:04 PM, Andy LaBella said:

I know this thread is about 3 years old but I'm also now in a battle with the dreaded GHA for about 4 months now.  I took very similar paths as you all.  I upped the CUC.  I got a tomini tang, a tailspot, a court jester and a baby one spot foxface.  I have so many snails, hermits, 2 emeralds and a tuxedo urchin.  I've kept my levels mostly in check.  I decreased my light time and do 100% blues and 25% white.  I've done 2x 3 day blackouts and decreased my feeding to every other day frozen mysis.  I had a cyano outbreak bad 3 months ago and did chemiclean and been ok since.  I've done so much manual removal my finger tips are killing me.  I've even done a little spot treatment of peroxide 3%.  So now it's time to try reefflux.  I have a 65gal Red Sea Max 250, so not really a nano, but i just need to do on a larger scale.  I plan to do a water change this weekend, remove my chemipure blue and phosguard, kill the skimmer and do 5-6 capsules.  How long til i can put back the phosguard and/or chemipure?

I still wouldn't try the chemical route...some of your past efforts were actually working against your progress AND it's only recommended for Bryopsis.

Also, your tank doesn't look to have all that much algae growth.  Don't panic!

And try to remain patient if you can.  🙂

And IMO don't resurrect any more zombie threads over this...but DO open your own thread to state your case and track your progress....and maybe to get more help before you do anything rash.  Cool!

A quick sumary of my own comments/questions....copy them over to your new thread and (if your want) tag me:

• 4 months isn't all that long.
  • How old is the tank?
  • Sounds like you might have a lot of fish for such a small tank...and the ones you named get pretty large.
  • What is the total list of your current livestock, including cleanup crew?
  • "levels mostly in check" meaning what?  You can't starve algae, in case that's what you mean.  
  • You want to maintain at least 5 ppm of NO3 and at least 0.03 ppm of PO4.  More is better IMO if the tank is still newish.  (Less leads to algae issues.)
  • Blackouts make algae worse.
  • The cyano outbreak tells me you might've bottomed out your tank's nutrient levels.  
  • The antibiotic treatment didn't do your tank any favors in terms of getting past the GHA stage.
  • Do your test regularly for NO3 and PO4?  (Anything else?)
  • The fact that you're using phosguard tells me that you might ALSO be doing other things to cause your algae to stick around....not just starving the GHA's competitors.

Will be looking out for your thread!

• Like 1