Pod Your Reef

1 gallon fish bowl

straydog

Been out of the salt water side of aquariums for a while and decided that I would try the vase idea with a small twist. Most of them are running air for water movement,  I'm trying it with a Lee's fish bowl undergravel filter. Water changes will be using a airline going down the undergravel up lift tube hopefully vacuuming out any thing that has made its way to the bottom of the tank. The tank is still cycling for now we will see how it goes.

IMG_20180602_190806_328.jpg

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Interesting idea @straydog! Is it this fish bowl under gravel filter you're using? https://www.amazon.com/Lees-Pet-Products-ALE13200-Undergravel/dp/B004130MU0. Do you use the little carbon filter that it comes with too?

I'd be worried about too much detritus being pulled into the upper layers of your substrate, but I think if you stir things up during a water change from time to time, that should help. Keep us posted on how it goes!

What did you decide on for a light?

Picked up a used calcium reactor that I plan to turn into a macro Algie reactor. It has two small lock line fittings on the top that I'm going to attach a aqualifter for water movement through the reactor. It also has a 1/2" fitting on the bottom that I plan to add an ice probe chiller to. I'm ordering an inkbird to work the heater and chiller. So this should be a fun build if everything works the way I'm thinking it will.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Finished my drive today in south Miami so naturally I got on Google maps and looked for the nearest coral store . 3/10 of a mile away a store that I had tried to visit in the past but was closed down had reopened  by Reef Top aquariums.  It was a great visit picked up a Bumblebee shrimp, porcelain crab, 2 scarlet crabs, and a new mushroom. Now to get them 600 miles back to the house and in there new tank.

So far it is really interesting. 

I've been reading up on some threads  and ordering parts. So far I've gotten in the ice probe chiller,  the 25 watt archea heater , the inkbird controller . 

Already had 2 via aqua 20/20 ( 1 for macro reactor and 1 for seach Chem matrix ) 

This is where I'm at so far the 1 gallon is going strong but all the new gear and current in habitats will be in the 2 gallon that I drilled for the chiller and used a grinder to cut down some rock to make a rock wall using ge1 silicone.  Just waiting for the silicone to cure so hopefully I can get the new tank salty and started cycling next weekend. 

15327864442432030145427.jpg

Couple of pictures of what I've got done so far, still need to get the ato ordered and then decide on lights for the macro reactor . Then a little more work on the stand it's getting there slowly .

1533407595880-548230645.jpg

1533407671064-2038123417.jpg