SaltCritters.com

Torn Between 3 Lights

coltnanoreef

coltnanoreef

Thinking about getting an IM Nuvo 10 gallon and am debating between 3 lights. The aquamaxx nemolight (here) , a single par30 led 18k bulb (here) , and the Hipargero 30W light (here). They are all in the same ballpark cost wise, I want to keep it budget friendly and under $100. Each seems to have advantages, the nemolight being the most controllable and easy to use, but the most money and least amount of power. I do like its programmability and the thunderstorm feature.

The other two seem to be similar in power and cost (minus the cost of the fixture for the bulb) but lack control and need to be manually dimmed (or not dimmed at all) and therefore are pretty much either on or off. It would be nice for them to ramp up and down during the day but I guess its not a dealbreaker. Also, how long until the single bulb would need to be replaced?

I want to be able to have some SPS if it is at all possible. Anyone have any thoughts? Or other recommendations staying in the <$100 range? Thanks for any replies. 

whisnantrider

Out of the 3 you listed I would probably go with the Aquamaxx. Looking at the descriptions from the links it seemed to be the most controllable and im sure would be plenty of light for that tank.

MainelyReefer

I would strive for a used AI Prime or Kessil if you needed to keep within a budget,  you said you potentially want to keep SPS and beyond directly beneath these lights it just won't be enough for SPS.  Atleast the hiperago one gets you to 3w of light/gallon of water.  But that's a no namer I've never seen or heard of.  The aquamaxx reminds me of an Orbit marine slightly with its small leds and spread out array, I have had bad luck with led lights like that so I would say no to that light on that premise.  I hate par bulbs but people use them with success, they also look at horrible color blending, massive light spill, and usually a single prechosen spectrum. 

• Like 1
whisnantrider
3 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

I would strive for a used AI Prime or Kessil if you needed to keep within a budget,  you said you potentially want to keep SPS and beyond directly beneath these lights it just won't be enough for SPS.  Atleast the hiperago one gets you to 3w of light/gallon of water.  But that's a no namer I've never seen or heard of.  The aquamaxx reminds me of an Orbit marine slightly with its small leds and spread out array, I have had bad luck with led lights like that so I would say no to that light on that premise.  I hate par bulbs but people use them with success, they also look at horrible color blending, massive light spill, and usually a single prechosen spectrum. 

I didn't want to try to sell you on something that you didn't want but I agree with GraniteReefer the AI Prime HD is probably the best option or a used Prime Non HD if you really want to keep your expense as low as possible. I have an AI Hydra 26 HD that I really like. I have been curious about the Kessil A80 as well and its $130 new so not much more in the grand scheme of this hobby. 

• Like 1

I have the same tank

I've used a par38, skyye light, and the aquamaxx.

Both par38 and aquamaxx worked great. Aquamaxx has programs whereas the par38 you use a timer for on and off.

I use an Ai Prime on my 25g

In All 3 tanks with all 3 different types of lighting corals are happy and growing.

coltnanoreef

a used AI Sol White would be too powerful right? what would a good price for a used one be without the controller or mounting gear (if it is actually a good fit)? 

Can I throw the idea of a kessil a80 out there?

you can get it with a free gooseneck from saltwateraquarium.com not a sponsor here though. It’s 130 I think for the package. If you ever feel the need for all that adjustability you can get the controller later. 

14 hours ago, coltnanoreef said:

Thinking about getting an IM Nuvo 10 gallon and am debating between 3 lights. The aquamaxx nemolight (here) , a single par30 led 18k bulb (here) , and the Hipargero 30W light (here). They are all in the same ballpark cost wise, I want to keep it budget friendly and under $100. Each seems to have advantages, the nemolight being the most controllable and easy to use, but the most money and least amount of power. I do like its programmability and the thunderstorm feature.

The other two seem to be similar in power and cost (minus the cost of the fixture for the bulb) but lack control and need to be manually dimmed (or not dimmed at all) and therefore are pretty much either on or off. It would be nice for them to ramp up and down during the day but I guess its not a dealbreaker. Also, how long until the single bulb would need to be replaced?

I want to be able to have some SPS if it is at all possible. Anyone have any thoughts? Or other recommendations staying in the <$100 range? Thanks for any replies. 

Out of the three I’d do the Nemolight.  The thunderstorm feature is something you will use once or twice.  It’s a novelty.  

11 hours ago, Tamberav said:

You should check out nanobox new budget light as well... We all know nano box kicks butt. 

Nanobox budget light?

2 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Can I throw the idea of a kessil a80 out there?

you can get it with a free gooseneck from saltwateraquarium.com not a sponsor here though. It’s 130 I think for the package. If you ever feel the need for all that adjustability you can get the controller later. 

Kessil A80 would be really low powered for 10G. its 15w, so thats like 1.5 w per G. Less than half 😞

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Ranjib said:

Kessil A80 would be really low powered for 10G. its 15w, so thats like 1.5 w per G. Less than half 😞

Yeah watts per gallon actually matters. 🙄

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Ranjib said:

It’s a very well engineered 15watts with a superb reflector.  

1 hour ago, Type-H20 said:

Nanobox budget light?

Yeah check out their sponser forums here... They got a new basic mini for 120?? I think. 

coryscritch

if you want budget friendly, you can get a current orbit marine led. i got mine off amazon for i think $105, it works good for what i have going on in my tank.  if you plan on keeping a lot of sps then you should get something better. if you want like easy sps like a birds nest this light will work just fine. i have a birds nest that is doing great under the current orbit. 

thehobdenmarina

I've been using the hipargero for 3 months now and am very impressed.  Though it lack the control of the others you can still dial in a nice color. And both my sps and lps are loving it. I've had 3 sps frags encrust over new plugs in less than a month no joke. I have two over and 18x18x18 cube on two separate timers one comes on then the other and hour later to give a slight adjustment period for everyone. It's actually a surprisingly good light for the cost and I admit when I got them I was skeptical. But par values are good from what I can find. Minimal disco ball effect and pretty great color mixing.  I have mine turned down 10%w 40%blue and everything's been doing awesome. I will be starting a build thread but, my green birdsnest is going nuts, all my acros are entrusting fast and full polyp extensions, monticaps are starting to encrust and plate after one month.  The real test at this point will be longevity.  I am confident they are an attributing factor to my growth. 

Led wattage of 15 is not the same as 15watts fluorescent or incandescent.

the Ai Prime, at 85% the wattage is 24 watts.

Nemolight is 18 watts

Most par38 are between 12-24 watts.

Par, spectrum, and led optics is important when considering what light to get.