SaltCritters.com

Feather dusters on torch coral

12scanlon

Hey, I am looking for some advice with my torch coral. When it first got delivered from aqua SD ( great corals and service) it had some feather dusters on the sides of it which I thought was super cool. In the last two months they have spread and I noticed on smack in the middle of the corals tissue. Another one has popped up but this time it is right on the mouth of one of the two heads of the torch. 

Should I do something about this or just leave it alone?  There’s a picture of  the torch a little over half opened and some of when it’s closed so you can see the little feather dusters. 

Thanks

5715A9D0-686C-4DB9-B382-B82633A2CDDA.jpeg

F5160252-51EB-487B-BCD7-DAE734758ED0.jpeg

58F60413-B41C-4FC3-BB95-EAFE42443FEC.jpeg

Its pretty hard to see anything in those photos and I cant quite make you where your feather dusters are. In my opinion if they are feather dusters just let them be. But make sure they aren't vermetid snails. If they are that, you definitely want to get rid of them.

1 hour ago, skoechle said:

Its pretty hard to see anything in those photos and I cant quite make you where your feather dusters are. In my opinion if they are feather dusters just let them be. But make sure they aren't vermetid snails. If they are that, you definitely want to get rid of them.

I circled them in this picture. Sorry I have a bad camera. Also they are definently feather dusters...

E2BCF23D-0029-4DFE-A194-C73DFAC88975.jpeg

44 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

Everything will be fine. Your coral will grow around it and it will just continue to grow its tube outward.  

Ok ?? I wasn’t too worried about it because In the last month or two I’ve seen growth and the torch looks healthy.

I was just wonderimg whether this would be a problem in the future.

Thanks!

it might make the head that its poking out of grow kind of strange, shape wise, but other then that naaah.   Coral has an amazing ability to alter its shape around its environment that its growing on.  

There are also examples of some feather dusters that exclusively live inside coral heads, like poritites.

25 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

it might make the head that its poking out of grow kind of strange, shape wise, but other then that naaah.   Coral has an amazing ability to alter its shape around its environment that its growing on.  

There are also examples of some feather dusters that exclusively live inside coral heads, like poritites.

Thanks, I believe those are what I have. Really cool actually!😎

I have one of those same species of duster, with the corkscrew style fan, on my hammer coral skeleton.  I only wish I had a breeding colony because its way cooler than the common dusters we get in our systems.