Pod Your Reef

Bryopsis war

ThomasF

So I’ve been struggling with gha and Bryopsis for a long time. It’s gotten so bad that I am going to try the Fluconazole treatment. Here are before pics I’ll post same pics every few days. We shall see what happens!

89606185-3B03-4278-B9A5-3A5418EF52F2.jpeg

4CE3D339-3175-4153-9E30-160A5735B156.jpeg

DB3B2429-3931-4EE3-B2EF-A8F8B2242F63.jpeg

2102BD90-5B24-4DE7-88EB-73CE30304584.jpeg

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Yep, same here. It works. If it's not totally gone after the 15 days, do a water change and retreat. Hair algae takes longer.

100% true. 

Thanks! I’m excited that it should work. Been an ugly nemesis for far to long lol. Will my chaeto be ok during this?

Fluc is a short time fix. But you need to figure out what's causing your nutrient spikes. Culprit is typically over-feeding, sometimes nutrients leaching from rock, over-stocking, or you are not vacuuming the sand enough. If growth allows, trim the cheato. If not, then the issue is somewhere else in the tank. Testing the water may not give you accurate nutrient numbers as the GHA can up-take phos and/or nitrate  before the numbers become apparent in your tests. Are u using a low-range phosphate test? It will make a huge difference in your results. What test kit do u use for PO4? If it's API, your apparent numbers will be significantly lower than true readings. API tests for high-range, but they don't tell u that. How convenient!

A Little Blue
1 hour ago, ThomasF said:

Thanks! I’m excited that it should work. Been an ugly nemesis for far to long lol. Will my chaeto be ok during this?

There are mixed reports on how macro-algae reacts to it. I think, you should leave it during treatment, but that is your call. 

I am seeing some bryopsis on one of my tank as well. Still not decided whether to employ fluconazole or not. What brand you are planning to use? reef flux ??

I used flucanolzole.  Knocked it out.  What it didn't finish, I got mexican turbos and they mowed it down like no tomorrow.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Ranjib said:

I am seeing some bryopsis on one of my tank as well. Still not decided whether to employ fluconazole or not. What brand you are planning to use? reef flux ??

Reef flux

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Fluc is a short time fix. But you need to figure out what's causing your nutrient spikes. Culprit is typically over-feeding, sometimes nutrients leaching from rock, over-stocking, or you are not vacuuming the sand enough. If growth allows, trim the cheato. If not, then the issue is somewhere else in the tank. Testing the water may not give you accurate nutrient numbers as the GHA can up-take phos and/or nitrate  before the numbers become apparent in your tests. Are u using a low-range phosphate test? It will make a huge difference in your results. What test kit do u use for PO4? If it's API, your apparent numbers will be significantly lower than true readings. API tests for high-range, but they don't tell u that. How convenient!

This isnt always true. Bryopsis can be introduced with new corals or anything containing the spores. Once you have bryopsis regardless of how pure you keep your tank its an algae that can sustain and grow no matter what you do. So yes I believe flucanzole can rid of it and never return unless you introduce it again. I haven't changed my feeding habits or WC schedules and I havent seen bryopsis anywhere in my tank since treatment. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, jdmcbuilt said:

This isnt always true. Bryopsis can be introduced with new corals or anything containing the spores. Once you have bryopsis regardless of how pure you keep your tank its an algae that can sustain and grow no matter what you do. So yes I believe flucanzole can rid of it and never return unless you introduce it again. I haven't changed my feeding habits or WC schedules and I havent seen bryopsis anywhere in my tank since treatment. 

I was addressing the GHA outbreak as far as treatment and nutrient overload goes. As for the bryopsis, well, that's another horse.

31 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

I was addressing the GHA outbreak as far as treatment and nutrient overload goes. As for the bryopsis, well, that's another horse.

I here ya. I believe GHA is same as well. I've never had an outbreak of GHA nor have I seen it on any corals I bought. But I did see bryopsis on a frag that I brought home and I didn't pull it off the frag before placing in display tank. I pulled it off inside the tank which cuased it to go nuts. A lot of the bad algae are mainly introduced. Other than me having bryopsis ive had cyano from when I tried biopellets. 

No adverse reactions to corals, polyps still extending. Fish could care less. Snails, hermits and shrimp are as active as ever. Lots of algae in filter sock so it’s falling out I guess

Make sure today’s pics are in daylight. Hard to see with sunset lights on