Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Best Reef stores Southern California (and along I-5)

Sjlawgirl

I will be driving from San Jose to Carlsbad (LEGOLAND...sigh...) at the end of the month.  Hoping to check out at least a couple good stores on my way back.  Can anyone point me to some great reef stores in areas off I-5 in the south central valley and southern parts of Cali?  Thanks!

• Like 1

Nothing decent in North County, however Aquatic Warehouse and AquaSD are a little further south and about a mile from each other. 

3 hours ago, KNelson said:

Nothing decent in North County, however Aquatic Warehouse and AquaSD are a little further south and about a mile from each other. 

9 hours ago, Sjlawgirl said:

I will be driving from San Jose to Carlsbad (LEGOLAND...sigh...) at the end of the month.  Hoping to check out at least a couple good stores on my way back.  Can anyone point me to some great reef stores in areas off I-5 in the south central valley and southern parts of Cali?  Thanks!

But you’re going from San Jose to San Diego. Ewwww. God the Central Valley? Just drive fast and get back to the Bay. 

Red_Blenny

The ones I can think of are: Ultragem in Burbank (the owner tends to give big hookups compared to the other workers), Amazing Aquarium & Reefs (highly recommended), Two Guy Corals (kinda out of the way), Reef Lounge USA (also out of the way), Coral Gazers, and Sand Bar Coral Farms.

• Like 1

Drive south to Aqua SD its about 30 mins from Legoland and its worth the drive . Aquatic Warehouse is also about 5 mins from Aqua SD but if your looking for coral I would pass on Aquatic Warehouse. Aquatic Warehouse is great for fish and anything you need parts wise for your tank but their coral selection sucks balls on a good day. If your looking for a great hole in the wall with good stuff at decent prices Reefers Garage is my go to spot. Reefers Garage is not off the 5 but its maybe a 10 minute drive a bit inland from Legoland  

• Like 1

I completely forgot about Tri City Tropical fish....that place is also worth checking out  also not far from legoland. 

Barrier reef aquariums is accessible from I-5 but it might be a little out of your way 😉 we are up in Washington. Ultragem came up with some goodies for a drag swap a few months back and brought a nice selection of decently priced larger frags of SPS and high end shrooms.

1 hour ago, Sancho said:

Reefers Garage is my go to spot. Reefers Garage is not off the 5 but its maybe a 10 minute drive a bit inland from Legoland  

10 minutes maybe on a Sunday morning.  The last time I was there the owner wasn't very interested in helping me and there were dead fish in his tanks.  I couldn't see any of the coral because it was so dark with only some blue lights.

33 minutes ago, KNelson said:

10 minutes maybe on a Sunday morning.  The last time I was there the owner wasn't very interested in helping me and there were dead fish in his tanks.  I couldn't see any of the coral because it was so dark with only some blue lights.

Traffic can suck, I live a mile from Legoland and its a 10 to 20 min drive depending on the day. The spot is a bit ghetto but ive never seen dead fish and the owner has always been super helpful even opening up for local forum meetings . If your expecting a full blown retail shop this is not the place for you but you cant beat his prices. 

8 hours ago, 1967type1 said:

Barrier reef aquariums is accessible from I-5 but it might be a little out of your way 😉 we are up in Washington. Ultragem came up with some goodies for a drag swap a few months back and brought a nice selection of decently priced larger frags of SPS and high end shrooms.

Where in Washington?? I will be in Des Moines in August....

23 hours ago, Red_Blenny said:

The ones I can think of are: Ultragem in Burbank (the owner tends to give big hookups compared to the other workers), Amazing Aquarium & Reefs (highly recommended), Two Guy Corals (kinda out of the way), Reef Lounge USA (also out of the way), Coral Gazers, and Sand Bar Coral Farms.

But the best one is Cali Kid Corals!!! In whittier, you have to call his Yelp phone number to see if he's there at the store, open.

21 hours ago, Sancho said:

Drive south to Aqua SD its about 30 mins from Legoland and its worth the drive . Aquatic Warehouse is also about 5 mins from Aqua SD but if your looking for coral I would pass on Aquatic Warehouse. Aquatic Warehouse is great for fish and anything you need parts wise for your tank but their coral selection sucks balls on a good day. If your looking for a great hole in the wall with good stuff at decent prices Reefers Garage is my go to spot. Reefers Garage is not off the 5 but its maybe a 10 minute drive a bit inland from Legoland  

Where's reefers garage, what city?

Where's sand bar coral farms? What city?

And California aquarium in Los Angeles is a nice lfs too.

Red_Blenny
3 hours ago, benjho said:

But the best one is Cali Kid Corals!!! In whittier, you have to call his Yelp phone number to see if he's there at the store, open.

I went to his store on Friday at 4pm. Not open. I sometimes call. doesn't pick up. Besides, that store is quite a stone throw away from the 5 freeway.

Sand Bar Coral Farms is in Mission Viejo. It's a mixed pet shop but they have lots of nice LPS.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Red_Blenny said:

I went to his store on Friday at 4pm. Not open. I sometimes call. doesn't pick up. Besides, that store is quite a stone throw away from the 5 freeway.

Sand Bar Coral Farms is in Mission Viejo. It's a mixed pet shop but they have lots of nice LPS.

Aww that’s too bad u went when it was closed... I told u to call them first before going lol. I have his cell phone number if u want? Still worth checking his store out... u probably saw his inside but that’s only half of what u can see, he has a back room with 4 more big ass tanks lol.

Ill have to check out sand bar coral...