Innovative Marine Aquariums

NanoBox Mini Basic : On/Off Nano/Pico Light

DaveFason

11 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Same array that is in all NanoBox units. You will get royal blue, blue, cyan, violet, white, mint. 

Yep!

Awesome. Save da pennies. 

I could make it dim however that will need a new board, driver housing, etc. Something I do not want invest in along with the current line already having dimming, wireless control, etc.  Before lights dimmed everything was ON/OFF. I can tell you that you will not need to acclimate the corals. Just plug and play. 

As for mounting I am using the same mount that I use on the NBR line. Gooseneck with adjustable bracket. It will only be available with gooseneck. 

The point of this light is to keep it simple. This is something I believe people have forgotten. 

This is the prototype I have been using for ~ 5 months now. This has been over my office IM10. I have softies, LPS, rock anemones and a few others. 

27965105198_5f3a695959_c.jpgOfficeFTS by David Fason, on Flickr

That looks great.  How is the intensity when compared with a mini tide, is it the mini tide at100%, fixed at 14K?  Also, will you offer it at 18K or 20K? 

11 hours ago, Type-H20 said:

That looks great.  How is the intensity when compared with a mini tide, is it the mini tide at100%, fixed at 14K?  Also, will you offer it at 18K or 20K? 

Less overall power than the Mini Tide ( no fan ). So my 14K maybe more of a 20K to you. It is a nice blue to allow corals to pop with just enough white to make it look normal. 

On 6/4/2018 at 12:59 AM, A Little Blue said:

Is a “no go on dimming” based on price point or design characteristics of this light? Ability to acclimate coral to light intensity is kind of a big deal.

(Seeing A/B comparison to A80 would be nice. 100% Intensity and color rendition)

If dimming is not a possibility, perhaps a better mounting option could be a solution? 

Perhaps a bracket that could work with third party mounting arms? 

And final question: is this light available without gooseneck arm? 

I mean, back in the day there was no dimmer option for lights, people figured out how to acclimate corals anyway. :wink:

The light looks really pretty, maybe a bit bluer than I'd normally go for but I can always stick a little white light with it if I'm that desperate. :lol:

• Like 1

Acclimation: 2-3 Window screen laid over the top of the tank... Remove a layer every few days... Done.. Or adjust height of light.... Or just start corals in the bottom... Depending how much acclimation you need. Dimming certainly not needed for acclimation. 

• Like 2
Raindog3030

Wow, this looks awesome!  Glad you were able to come up with something to compete with the A80! 

Now I am extra glad I have been stalling on my office setup, this seems to be the perfect fixture!

Hm...I do not see this on your shop site, order by request only?

• Like 1
A Little Blue
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Acclimation: 2-3 Window screen laid over the top of the tank... Remove a layer every few days... Done.. Or adjust height of light.... Or just start corals in the bottom... Depending how much acclimation you need. Dimming certainly not needed for acclimation. 

You’re certainly right. But these are small details that are reletive if we are comparing it to competition such as A80. 

I do believe Dave makes amazing product and I am hoping that this light will give reefers on the budget, another option to consider. Any quality budget product helps this hobby grow..... so I am definitely all for it. 

@DaveFason

how do you feel it would support an LPS dominated IM10 tank? e.g. euphillia, chalices, ric yumas. what about plating/encrusting monti on top 6" from waterline? I saw your office picture and the frogspawn, but want to ask anyways.

would love to hear on some par readings,

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

At least with a simple on/off we won’t see another “Nanobox won’t connect to blue fish” thread.  It’s too expensive when the a80 is the same price and has more capabilities and was actually designed to be run fanless

18 hours ago, Tamberav said:

You can do this but I honestly do not think you need to. 

17 hours ago, Raindog3030 said:

Wow, this looks awesome!  Glad you were able to come up with something to compete with the A80! 

Now I am extra glad I have been stalling on my office setup, this seems to be the perfect fixture!

Hm...I do not see this on your shop site, order by request only?

I am not trying to compete with the A80. I have received enough inquires for a light like this and wanted to fill the void. I wanted to create something simple and easy to use. They will be up this weekend. 

17 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

You’re certainly right. But these are small details that are reletive if we are comparing it to competition such as A80. 

I do believe Dave makes amazing product and I am hoping that this light will give reefers on the budget, another option to consider. Any quality budget product helps this hobby grow..... so I am definitely all for it. 

I am not trying to compete with the A80. I wanted to make a light that would be simple and easy to use. To my knowledge the A80 does not have a acclimation mode, simply turn the intensity knobs and hope its correct. 

16 hours ago, sapling said:

@DaveFason

how do you feel it would support an LPS dominated IM10 tank? e.g. euphillia, chalices, ric yumas. what about plating/encrusting monti on top 6" from waterline? I saw your office picture and the frogspawn, but want to ask anyways.

would love to hear on some par readings,

More than enough. I hope to get a few readings today. I need to find a new battery for the PAR meter! 

11 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

At least with a simple on/off we won’t see another “Nanobox won’t connect to blue fish” thread.  It’s too expensive when the a80 is the same price and has more capabilities and was actually designed to be run fanless

Years ago I would agree, it could be inconsistent. However in the past two years it has a proven track record. I was one of the beta testers from ~4-5 years ago. The three biggest mistakes I see...

• Connecting to 5ghz signal - Needs to be 2.4
  • Incorrect password for account/WiFi/router
  • To many devices used on one router causing inconsistent connection availability ( I've even been at fault! )

Like above, I am not trying to compete with the A80. Simply filling a void for people asking for this. The unit is designed for a fanless design. This is actually a new heatsink inside the body. Similar to the one I use for the RETRO lineup. 

Thanks guys! 

-Dave

• Like 2

I love the fanless design... Is this something that could ever be done on the normal units or would they need too large of a heatsink? 

6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I love the fanless design... Is this something that could ever be done on the normal units or would they need too large of a heatsink? 

To much power. It would need a new heatsink and would be huge. That is why you see fans on all high powered units. 

• Like 1

@DaveFason

thats great to hear about it being enough, how could you compare the lighting spectrum to the light blend I believe you use in the Red Sea tank? 

I believe the colors were something like the settings in mine currently. I added an image of my midday settings for reference . Would you say it is more or less blue? Would the corals pop to the same extent? How different would you think it’d be? I’m using the duo plus m if you remember. I know I don’t have the mint channel in the newer ones.

Do you know if I moved the corals over would they need to be acclimated again if the light blend is similar enough? 

Thanks for answering btw! 

A57D3685-299E-4E93-B768-975E4335D759.png

1 hour ago, sapling said:

@DaveFason

thats great to hear about it being enough, how could you compare the lighting spectrum to the light blend I believe you use in the Red Sea tank? 

I believe the colors were something like the settings in mine currently. I added an image of my midday settings for reference . Would you say it is more or less blue? Would the corals pop to the same extent? How different would you think it’d be? I’m using the duo plus m if you remember. I know I don’t have the mint channel in the newer ones.

Do you know if I moved the corals over would they need to be acclimated again if the light blend is similar enough? 

Thanks for answering btw! 

A57D3685-299E-4E93-B768-975E4335D759.png

It will be a touch more white than light. Not much. You will still have vibrant corals if they are healthy! No need to acclimate. 

-Dave

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Dave,I know you posted a picture of the office tank on the first page but how does this light compare to the spectrum of that pic or did you match the spectrum to your best ability ? If they are different at all would you mind posting a pic ? 

10 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Dave,I know you posted a picture of the office tank on the first page but how does this light compare to the spectrum of that pic or did you match the spectrum to your best ability ? If they are different at all would you mind posting a pic ? 

Here's a pic the on/off quad Dave made for me. I really like the way it looks.

• Like 2
On 9/21/2018 at 5:58 PM, William said:

You wouldn’t have this in a freshwater spectrum version of this would you?  

I do! 

On 9/21/2018 at 11:13 PM, ChristopherDido said:

Hey not sure how I missed this. But I was wondering do you have any of these left?

I sure do. Send me an email. 

On 9/21/2018 at 11:40 PM, Reeferadicto13 said:

I’m interested in this light too!

like to know if you still selling  this model 

I do. Send an email. Thanks! 

-Dave

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Any chance this would work for a mostly LPS Fluval Evo 16?  ....And would the planted version work for a lowtech freshwater Evo 16?

• 8 months later...