Cultivated Reef

MetroKat's Reefer: Need About Tree Fiddy

metrokat

On 8/7/2018 at 11:18 AM, metrokat said:

You can always post cute furball pictures to make up for it - it's okay.

This is Max, 9month old blue heeler. He rules the house.20180703_191825.thumb.jpg.0fa20d82a7d4c0166e6496e143d71ad3.jpg

And this is Max with his older sister Belle. He will chase her with a blanket and cover her up....

20180723_201649.thumb.jpg.21005bc97b92c749f266bdfb1404c2b6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 8/7/2018 at 10:16 AM, metrokat said:

Tank this morning.

The left side is coming along, every time I get in there to glue down corals I end up removing more rock so there is less room for corals.

I have to remove the leather and palys, xenia and also the rock in the front to make the left side the look that I am trying to go for. That means I have to make some tough decisions about the corals I just named. 😞 

819794031267291676.thumb.jpg.3604fd3ecbab11826d80ead424f7338e.jpg

Need more pics! :)

• Like 1
On 8/14/2018 at 12:23 PM, vegasgundog said:

This is Max, 9month old blue heeler. He rules the house.20180703_191825.thumb.jpg.0fa20d82a7d4c0166e6496e143d71ad3.jpg

And this is Max with his older sister Belle. He will chase her with a blanket and cover her up....

20180723_201649.thumb.jpg.21005bc97b92c749f266bdfb1404c2b6.jpg

Too sweet - thanks for sharing.

On 8/14/2018 at 12:30 PM, markalot said:

Need more pics! 🙂

Yessuh

IMG_20180814_181038.thumb.jpg.94d58d76751e3b89d3dfa1d22566e48b.jpg

The most recent picture - I think 2 days ago

IMG_20180808_132657.thumb.jpg.badf3fd32dbcecf11491ba1682d6197c.jpg

Bindi - the CBB. Trying to get her to eat - she munched all the feather duster and likes a little bit of clam but I can't see her eating anything else. I am hatching BBS and also have live black worms to tempt her. Hope it works.

Also in the picture is my Magnificent Foxface. Don't have a name yet - open to suggestions.

1425617802_IMG_20180816_114421(1).thumb.jpg.cea39afc45172f182578c2c540fa7eda.jpg

Bumble and Penelope

IMG_20180814_194743.thumb.jpg.3207c140c45a8fdcdd55cf848aecd604.jpg

The right side omgomgomg

• Like 9
  • Wow 2
A Little Blue
On 8/14/2018 at 12:30 PM, markalot said:

I have to remove the leather and palys, xenia and also the rock in the front to make the left side the look that I am trying to go for.

What’s your opinion about keeping leathers in SPS tank? Soo many conflicted opinions.... 

Beautiful tank. 

A Little Blue
30 minutes ago, metrokat said:

she munched all the feather duster and likes a little bit of clam but I can't see her eating anything else. I

Doesn't it feeds on aiptasia? 

4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Doesn't it feeds on aiptasia? 

Not exclusively. I have 1 aiptasia 

7 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

What’s your opinion about keeping leathers in SPS tank? Soo many conflicted opinions.... 

Beautiful tank. 

Thanks. I have a huge leather - i like it but it's not fitting in with the scape. I'm trying to foist it off on @Mariaface

• Haha 2
A Little Blue
6 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Not exclusively. I have 1 aiptasia 

Thanks. I have a huge leather - i like it but it's not fitting in with the scape. I'm trying to foist it off on @Mariaface

One is not enough, these guys can go through a dozen in the afternoon. Lol. 

Hope it starts eating. These guys are tricky. Best getting them from vendor who does acclimate and gets them to eat various food. 

As to leather subject. I get it that it might not fit your scape but what about its toxicity in regards to SPS corals? I like my neon green leather as well but many advice against that. I hate anecdotal evidence. 😡

2 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

One is not enough, these guys can go through a dozen in the afternoon. Lol. 

Hope it starts eating. These guys are tricky. Best getting them from vendor who does acclimate and gets them to eat various food. 

As to leather subject. I get it that it might not fit your scape but what about its toxicity in regards to SPS corals? I like my neon green leather as well but many advice against that. I hate anecdotal evidence. 😡

The evidence is anecdotal - I had an issue with a Fiji yellow toadstool but no other leathers and I've always had leathers. Maybe it's the case of some palys have toxic levels of palytoxins while others don't. Maybe some leather have more chemical warfare capabilities than others.

Running extra carbon is recommended, I'm sure you know that. I also feel that getting a small frag of a leather and letting it grow out is safer than getting a full blown colony. My Fiji yellow was a large toadstool. Anecdotal but it's what we have.

A Little Blue
7 minutes ago, metrokat said:

The evidence is anecdotal - I had an issue with a Fiji yellow toadstool but no other leathers and I've always had leathers. Maybe it's the case of some palys have toxic levels of palytoxins while others don't. Maybe some leather have more chemical warfare capabilities than others.

Running extra carbon is recommended, I'm sure you know that. I also feel that getting a small frag of a leather and letting it grow out is safer than getting a full blown colony. My Fiji yellow was a large toadstool. Anecdotal but it's what we have.

Lol I do have another tank just in case but I would really hate to do that. It has been in my tank for almost a year without issues. It’s the neon green one. It has been within an inch of SPS corals without issues. I have moved it away from SPS corals tho, just to be sure. 

Did your leather nuked your SPS corals? 

Yes, I do know that carbon is the answer, if toxic warfare is coughs in time. 

4 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Lol I do have another tank just in case but I would really hate to do that. It has been in my tank for almost a year without issues. It’s the neon green one. It has been within an inch of SPS corals without issues. I have moved it away from SPS corals tho, just to be sure. 

Did your leather nuked your SPS corals? 

Yes, I do know that carbon is the answer, if toxic warfare is coughs in time. 

The Fiji leather was certainly causing some corals to be pissed off and the flesh looked funny - like it has been sloughed off - it didn't kill the coral it was just really mad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMG_20180808_132657.thumb.jpg.badf3fd32dbcecf11491ba1682d6197c.jpg

Bindi - the CBB. Trying to get her to eat - she munched all the feather duster and likes a little bit of clam but I can't see her eating anything else. I am hatching BBS and also have live black worms to tempt her. Hope it works.

Also in the picture is my Magnificent Foxface. Don't have a name yet - open to suggestions

Try dis:

https://www.amazon.com/Dainichi-Reef-Veggie-Baby-Pellet/dp/B0731LXNM2?crid=31P1FZLINEG22&keywords=dainichi+veggie+fx&qid=1534561094&sprefix=dainichi+v&sr=8-5-fkmrnull&ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_5

Name:

Vixey from the Fox and the hound

Or Turban

• Thanks 1
Just now, Pinner Reef said:

She's not going to go for dry food - I've tried

Masstick

NLS Probiotix

NLS sinking 0.5mm pellets

Brightwell Reef Blizzard

Reef Nutrition TDO

NYOS Goji Berry

Frozen/Liquid food I have tried

Rods Fish eggs

Rods original

Reef Nutrition Mysis feast

Reef Nutrition ROE

NYOS Gold pods

She is interested in fresh clam meat and pecks at it but not vigorously.

6 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Beautiful tank. 

I'd keep a leather in a tank with SPS before mushrooms. If you do keep either of them, keep them down stream from the SPS so they're not getting blasted with the chemicals the leathers or mushrooms give off.

1 hour ago, metrokat said:

I used to have a hot thread? Hmmmm. 😄

A hot thread for a hot tamale . 🙂

She's not going to go for dry food - I've tried

Masstick

NLS Probiotix

NLS sinking 0.5mm pellets

Brightwell Reef Blizzard

Reef Nutrition TDO

NYOS Goji Berry

Frozen/Liquid food I have tried

Rods Fish eggs

Rods original

Reef Nutrition Mysis feast

Reef Nutrition ROE

NYOS Gold pods

She is interested in fresh clam meat and pecks at it but not vigorously.

What I do is use a dead skeleton and smear the food on it, plate corals work best for this, I also use Duncan coral skeletons. Butterflies are pickers, they don't eat a huge meal, but rather many small ones through out the day. Try mashing some clam or those fish eggs smeared on a skeleton.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, metrokat said:

Also in the picture is my Magnificent Foxface. Don't have a name yet - open to suggestions.

Maggie, Maggie Mae, or Maggie O'Hooligan. :unsure:

Got a newb question for you guys.

My reefer 350 is 2 months old. has been cycled for about 4 weeks. For the last 4 weeks I have 1 clown 1 blue damsel 1 torch frag 1 frogspawn frag. Yesterday I added 3 bangai cardinals. I have wanted blue green chromis and just got a call from a local fish store saying they just finished there quarantine period and if i want them to come today because they are pretty much all spoken for. Do you guys think it would be ok to add 5 small chromis to the tank after I added the 3 big cardinals yesterday? I tested my water this morning . 0 am 0 ni. 0.25 nitrate.

Thank you  

35 minutes ago, Cutter79 said:

Got a newb question for you guys.

My reefer 350 is 2 months old. has been cycled for about 4 weeks. For the last 4 weeks I have 1 clown 1 blue damsel 1 torch frag 1 frogspawn frag. Yesterday I added 3 bangai cardinals. I have wanted blue green chromis and just got a call from a local fish store saying they just finished there quarantine period and if i want them to come today because they are pretty much all spoken for. Do you guys think it would be ok to add 5 small chromis to the tank after I added the 3 big cardinals yesterday? I tested my water this morning . 0 am 0 ni. 0.25 nitrate.

Thank you  

I added a total of 12 fish within 3 days of each other - 6 and 6. I am confident that my tank can handle a significant bioload. Do you have Prime or Erase-CL on hand? You can always add the required amount to detoxify the ammonia should it rise enough to register on a test kit.

• Like 2

I added a total of 12 fish within 3 days of each other - 6 and 6. I am confident that my tank can handle a significant bioload. Do you have Prime or Erase-CL on hand? You can always add the required amount to detoxify the ammonia should it rise enough to register on a test kit.

Thank you. I was a little concerned that being a young tank it might struggle with the bio load. 

• Like 1