ReefCleaners.org

MetroKat's Reefer: Need About Tree Fiddy

metrokat

Christopher Marks
2 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Grazie. Just rocks ATM 😄

And as lotsa people pointed out on FB - just rocks and a frag rack. :lol:

Just artfully arranged rocks, you should have them know, tyvm 😄 

The RedSea Reefer 350 is a really nice looking system, plus the hanging lights 😗👌

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
RayWhisperer

What the hell is all this?

I expect you’ll have this mess cleaned up by Monday? I see a pile of rocks just laying on the bottom, a heater in the display, an ammonia badge in the display, some white cord hanging in there, a frag rack (any use for that anytime soon?), and what looks to be a magnetic glass cleaner. This is unacceptable. 

Also, fix that door!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Just artfully arranged rocks, you should have them know, tyvm 😄 

The RedSea Reefer 350 is a really nice looking system, plus the hanging lights 😗👌

The hanging lights are just a work of art thanks to my friend Michael. It's really perfect. :wub:

56 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

What the hell is all this?

I expect you’ll have this mess cleaned up by Monday? I see a pile of rocks just laying on the bottom, a heater in the display, an ammonia badge in the display, some white cord hanging in there, a frag rack (any use for that anytime soon?), and what looks to be a magnetic glass cleaner. This is unacceptable. 

Also, fix that door!

Okay Grumpy! 🙄

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Stoops718 said:

Pics or it didn't happen.

SO MANY!! 

4 hours ago, metrokat said:

Got the cooties - algae forest. Threw in the CUC Friday so they're munching their way through.

RAP was insane - had a lot of fun, hard work too. Bought waaaaay too many corals. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello from India. I head back to New York in about 18 hours and I can't wait to smush my Calleigh girl. The heat has been quite brutal here, in the upper 90s to lower 100s but with the humidity, the real feel is 117 according to Google.

Tank seems to be doing alright when I look at the ReefCam. And so is the fur ball. Between my brother and his kids coming by to see Calleigh and fill the ATO, to @Mariafacesoending her time after work to run tests and dose this and that and play with Calleigh, I'm much more eased about traveling than I was at the start of this trip. I hadn't left Calleigh alone overnight much less for. Full 10 almost 11 days. 

• Like 4
Snow_Phoenix
48 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Hello from India. I head back to New York in about 18 hours and I can't wait to smush my Calleigh girl. The heat has been quite brutal here, in the upper 90s to lower 100s but with the humidity, the real feel is 117 according to Google.

Tank seems to be doing alright when I look at the ReefCam. And so is the fur ball. Between my brother and his kids coming by to see Calleigh and fill the ATO, to @Mariafacesoending her time after work to run tests and dose this and that and play with Calleigh, I'm much more eased about traveling than I was at the start of this trip. I hadn't left Calleigh alone overnight much less for. Full 10 almost 11 days. 

Have a safe trip back home! Tank looks neat btw. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Cutter79 said:

@metrokat I Just started a 350 build as well. I am in week 3. Roughly how much flow did you set your return pump at? What did you end up going with for your cuc?

Hey Cutter. I'm using Maxspect turbine duo with 2 impellers - max GPD on that is 2400 gph I think - I'm running the controller at level 9 out of 10 for flow so not sure what that actually equates to but I'ld guess 2160. I have a draining noise from the overflow that I have yet to dial back.

Nobody mentions the uglies right? So. The last week of June was a troll forest of algae in the tank. And I mean a forest! The algae looked like GHA but was very thin and slimy, difficult to grip and pull out with my fingers. I didn't have many CUC members so while I placed a few orders to get some inverts, I decided to try Razor Marine from Brightwell Aquatics.

Before pictures

IMG_20180625_144646.thumb.jpg.15683ccf210e1b0365a0155f60d94bd2.jpg

IMG_20180625_144651.thumb.jpg.77a54ce4989e246bcde48e634a4be1cc.jpg

After 3 days of use

Before and after

IMG_20180625_144642.thumb.jpg.eddd74d1c07db9719c8d64eeeda1af94.jpg IMG_20180628_083147.thumb.jpg.9858a14166a9ddfdb848286e822aab66.jpg

about 5-7 days later nearly all of it was gone. Most was easy to remove with a simple swipe of the beating stick - yes, I said beating stick. I scooped a lot of it out with a fish net, and in it's weakened state, the CUC made quick work of it. The tank is clean as of right now with a few patches of what I think might be a mix of bryopsis. Pretty happy with how well Razor Marine worked for me. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, markalot said:

Tell Tux he's falling behind.   My poor Tuxedo could not keep up with vacation, I might need 3 more for my 40 gallon.  🙂

I have 2 Tuxedos, they're doing great - honestly - there is very little algae to see

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Calleigh must be so happy to have you home! Archer Pup has been clinging to me since my last trip.

Thanks for sharing the ugly algae phase, it's a fact of life! 😄

You got it under control pretty quickly though. Besides the tuxedo urchins, what else is in your new cleanup crew?

• Like 1

I am in week 3 of my reefer 350 build. Just installed the curve 5. its been running for 3 days, I raised it up about a inch and a half. Still overflowing like crazy, not sure if I should let it keep running or shut it off? I have the overflow from the curve pouring into a filter sock. Thoughts?

• Like 1