Jump to content

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, seabass said:

That's what it looks like to me.  You usually see that kind of sponge in shaded areas.  He must have been hiding in cave or something for awhile.

Sweet. looks like there are also signs of something similar in one of my zoas. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/21/2018 at 8:51 PM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Do you have to be a member or is it open to the public? It was good I liked it and I'm looking forward to then doing it again. 😀

May the 4th 2019!!!! Get ready! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, ReefWeeds said:

May the 4th 2019!!!! Get ready! 

Awesome I'll be so ready....I should have my 75 up and running by then...I'll have lots of room :smilie:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/12/2018 at 7:46 PM, Cutter79 said:

One of my snails is fuzzy. Should I remove this guy?

20180912_173956.jpg

Sponge. It's cool.

Share this post


Link to post

Some pics of my reefer 350. Things are going really well. Except my new tomni tang decided life was better in the hardwood floor. 

Spoiler

 

20180912_165116.jpg

20180912_164239.jpg

20180912_164336.jpg

20180912_164217.jpg

 

20180907_084659.jpg

20180907_084728.jpg

20180907_084719.jpg

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Cutter, nice tank; thanks for sharing. :smilie:   However, you should really start your own thread, so as not to impose too much on Kat's journal.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

That video is mesmerizing @metrokat 😍

 

Great article documenting your RSR 350 modifications as well, the ATO to refugium is a great solution! 👍

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, mr9iron said:

Your tank is beautiful.  Thanks for sharing it.

Thank you - I love how vibrant it is

 

10 hours ago, skyscraper2290 said:

So amazed by your tank 👏👏

Thank you so much

 

11 hours ago, seabass said:

Cutter, nice tank; thanks for sharing. :smilie:   However, you should really start your own thread, so as not to impose too much on Kat's journal.

It's cool Seabass, no worries

 

10 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

That video is mesmerizing @metrokat 😍

 

Great article documenting your RSR 350 modifications as well, the ATO to refugium is a great solution! 👍

Thank you CM. I think the RSM article got a few likes and shares so I'm happy about that 🙂

 

4 minutes ago, Cutter79 said:

Sorry metrocat didnt mean to impose 

No worries - I'm sorry about your carpet surfing tang 😞

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Looking good! What do you have your rock flower attached to? Is it attached to the glass or a rock under the sand/something else?

Share this post


Link to post

Been following this on Instagram- thank god I only have 8 pages to catch up on! ;)

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/29/2018 at 11:59 AM, mwhitelock said:

Been following this on Instagram- thank god I only have 8 pages to catch up on! 😉

 

LOL. I started a freshwater as you now know.

But the tank is going through some issues - I have over the top nutrients at the moment for a couple of reasons - Installed a new skimmer and it took about a week 10 days to get ramped up. Plus I was feeding 3X as much - I got a new copperband which was conditioned to eat but I could not tell if she was eating with my fast wrasses and other hungry fish grabbing the food. 

 

Shot off an ICP test but I'm working on getting the nutrients down.

 

And now for the FW

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Really cool freshwater planted tank @metrokat, that's an exciting new project! Planted nanos have definitely caught my eye lately 🙂

I may have a second tank on the way...

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post

How long has it been since you have had a freshwater tank? 20 years for me! 🙀 What inspired you to build a planted tank?

 

Do you have any plans for CO2 dosing? How about fish or shrimp? There's a local shop I keep visiting and day dreaming... I could see myself with a school of neon tetra 🙂 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/1/2018 at 12:23 PM, Christopher Marks said:

How long has it been since you have had a freshwater tank? 20 years for me! 🙀 What inspired you to build a planted tank?

 

Do you have any plans for CO2 dosing? How about fish or shrimp? There's a local shop I keep visiting and day dreaming... I could see myself with a school of neon tetra 🙂 

I think the world of planted tanks is really special. I'm excited to learn something new.

 

I think my last FW was in 2008. And I jumped into the salt in 2011. 

 

For this tank, the stocking plans are a small school of fish like the cardinal tetra (they look about the same as neons but have much better color).

I want to also have shrimps, maybe in the colors of the tetra or a different color.

I'll need one catfish - I like Otto cats. Maybe a snail or 2 although I have not thought about that so much.

 

I will be dosing CO2, I need to study it more. What I have right now is a yeast and sugar combo in a bottle from Dennerle that lasts 30 days. I'll need to decide what to do after that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Planted tanks are fun! Challenging in different ways than salt.

 

Consider a Regulator and Paintball canister option vs the yeast and sugar. The initial cost was a little high but I've had a 20oz paintball canister running on my 10g planted for about 4 months and haven't needed to refill the paintball canister yet. Solenoid and a timer = EZPZ.

 

There are a lot out there but this was the most cost effective with the best reviews and is ready for use with a paintball canister out of the box:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AQUATEK-CO2-Regulator-Mini-with-Integrated-COOL-TOUCH-Solenoid/230840227751?epid=1212274007&hash=item35bf2657a7:g:fcoAAOSwQTVV8HHp:rk:1:pf:0

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I just thought about my first tank. It had Crypts and Vals in it way back in 1972, a Metaframe 20 high with a stainless steel hood with 1 fluorescent tube in it. I collected the gravel from the creek on the farm. There was a place that bred and raised fish in an old milking barn. You could buy tetras for a whopping 25 cents each, catfish were 50 cents. Redtail sharks were expensive, $1 each and Khuli loaches were 69 cents so my first fish were 2 Lemon tetras, 1 Redtail shark and a Khuli loach.

 

I think I'm going to turn the 20g peninsula into a freshwater tank if I can't find a decent 30g.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, metrokat said:

I think the world of planted tanks is really special. I'm excited to learn something new.

 

I think my last FW was in 2008. And I jumped into the salt in 2011. 

 

For this tank, the stocking plans are a small school of fish like the cardinal tetra (they look about the same as neons but have much better color).

I want to also have shrimps, maybe in the colors of the tetra or a different color.

I'll need one catfish - I like Otto cats. Maybe a snail or 2 although I have not thought about that so much.

 

I will be dosing CO2, I need to study it more. What I have right now is a yeast and sugar combo in a bottle from Dennerle that lasts 30 days. I'll need to decide what to do after that.

I love otos! Had one live 3-4 years in college, it was in the tank with my cherry barbs, the last of whom died two years ago at eight years of age. 

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks everyone.

 

I have a bacterial slime developing on the wood so researching that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions

×