Cultivated Reef

MetroKat's Reefer: Need About Tree Fiddy

metrokat

3 hours ago, Cutter79 said:

Got a newb question for you guys.

My reefer 350 is 2 months old. has been cycled for about 4 weeks. For the last 4 weeks I have 1 clown 1 blue damsel 1 torch frag 1 frogspawn frag. Yesterday I added 3 bangai cardinals. I have wanted blue green chromis and just got a call from a local fish store saying they just finished there quarantine period and if i want them to come today because they are pretty much all spoken for. Do you guys think it would be ok to add 5 small chromis to the tank after I added the 3 big cardinals yesterday? I tested my water this morning . 0 am 0 ni. 0.25 nitrate.

Thank you  

One thing I'd recommend you get are some Brightwell plates like Kat and I have, they work very well and the bacteria grows so fast on them. The only things that populate faster are fluidized bed filtres. You should be fine adding fish if your rock has been cycling for a month.

• Like 1

Anyone going to:

-Aquarium Care Center Bash Ocean NJ - Sat Aug 25th

-MACNA Las Vegas Sept 7-8

-Philly Splash King of Prussia Sept 15

-Fragtoberfest CT Oct 7-8

2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Such a neat moment to capture! Are the xenia actually on the urchin too?

Yeah - in that picture they are on the urchin. I like them travelling all over - hope it stays on it. :biggrin:

• Like 3
Christopher Marks
5 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Yeah - in that picture they are on the urchin. I like them travelling all over - hope it stays on it. :biggrin:

I love it! 😅

It's gonna be fun to hang at MACNA this year!!!

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
29 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Anyone going to:

I thought about hitting fragtoberfest. I live in CT. I haven't decided yet though.

25 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I love it! 😅

It's gonna be fun to hang at MACNA this year!!!

Totally - I will be there Thursday! I am on the panel for Women in Reefing on Friday 2-3 pm and I am working Saturday/Sunday but I will be there for the NR meetup. ❤️ 

4 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I thought about hitting fragtoberfest. I live in CT. I haven't decided yet though.

It will be an intimate event, not a lot of large brands - should be fun.

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, metrokat said:

It will be an intimate event, not a lot of large brands - should be fun

Oh cool thanks :smilie: I went to the one they did in groton earlier this year. At least I think it was groton.

10 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh cool thanks :smilie: I went to the one they did in groton earlier this year. At least I think it was groton.

That was Scott Crowe - Keep on Reefing. (heard it was awesome) @ReefWeeds

This one is Fragtoberfest presented by the CTARS club. And the one in March is FFM presented by Jon Swanson at Edwin O Smith High School. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, metrokat said:

Anyone going to:

Possibly Philly Splash King of Prussia. We're going to North Carolina collecting the 7/8/9 of September.

The damn Katrazoa are taking their damn sweet time opening up, should be able to do some good macro shots this weekend.

• Like 1
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
3 hours ago, metrokat said:

Anyone going to:

I might be at MACNA.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 hours ago, metrokat said:

That was Scott Crowe - Keep on Reefing. (heard it was awesome) @ReefWeeds

This one is Fragtoberfest presented by the CTARS club. And the one in March is FFM presented by Jon Swanson at Edwin O Smith High School. 

Do you have to be a member or is it open to the public? It was good I liked it and I'm looking forward to then doing it again. 😀

• Like 1
5 hours ago, metrokat said:

Anyone going to:

Do they sell tickets at the door for macna? I'll be landing in Vegas on the 8th or late on the 7th I believe. 

13 hours ago, RoboNarples2929 said:

I might be at MACNA.

Yay, be sure to come to the Nano-reef Meetup. It's on the MACNA calendar.

12 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Do you have to be a member or is it open to the public? It was good I liked it and I'm looking forward to then doing it again. 😀

I believe it's open to everyone but I'm not sure. You can ask them on FB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back from MACNA and a wonderful 3 days of positivity. Meeting old friends, familiar faces, making new connections is always a huge part of these conventions. I didn't attend as many speaker presentations as I had hoped, however some crazy parties and a keynote by Charlie Veron rounded up the conference rather well. I was lucky and proud to be a part of the first Women in Reefing meeting.

@Mariaface @Christopher Marks @yoshii @Got Corals @Marine Depot 

• Like 7
Christopher Marks

It was so nice to see you again at MACNA @metrokat! Thank you for your support all these years! ❤️

It was an honor to see the first Women in Reefing meeting and hear from so many inspiring women in the hobby, scientific research, and aquarium industry!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, yoshii said:

Wonderful to see you again Kat! How's Callie? And how's the tank? No vacation troubles? 🙂

Great to see you too. All was well when I got home except Calleigh was complaining non-stop! 😄

17 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

It was so nice to see you again at MACNA @metrokat! Thank you for your support all these years! ❤️

It was an honor to see the first Women in Reefing meeting and hear from so many inspiring women in the hobby, scientific research, and aquarium industry!

Always nice to see you guys too. I hope the WIR group becomes a huge one - with a good program of mentorship and empowerment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
24 minutes ago, Cutter79 said:

I was told this is a sponge and sign of a healthy tank?

That's what it looks like to me.  You usually see that kind of sponge in shaded areas.  He must have been hiding in cave or something for awhile.