Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, spectra said:

I look at things different than the normal joe :lol:  being in construction I always line things up......if things look off well it bothers me......it sucks trust me I am always looking at things with the glass half empty attitude...….

I’m in the same field and I just switch it off when they ain’t paying me. I do understand though. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, spectra said:

Congrats and well my OCD side has to be a Debbie downer...……..the doors are off :lol: level those things out...……..

 

Looking forward to see what you do with this.

 

Shhh! I almost got the beating stick for talking about the doors!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks everyone. The journey has been eventful thus far. My fresh ocean rocks arrived yesterday - that was eventful too. More about that later. 

 

Before I moved in, I set up a temporary 40B in the kitchen.

IMG_20180430_175459.thumb.jpg.2048393b099690cdcd63fa9523bb5caa.jpg IMG_20180430_154455.thumb.jpg.9fef25d4d9315f79e8af12ceeaf23990.jpg

 

That brick in there is a Brightwell Xport BIO Plate. It has been in my system 2 years at this point so it has about 11000 feet of surface area inside where my bacteria lives. Essentially I moved my biological filtration when I moved this brick. I had been running a canister filter on the old system for well over 6 weeks and I moved that over as well.

IMG_20180427_164453.thumb.jpg.d986c5bbe49d6a88c6f216af1371b4ad.jpg

 

@Mariaface has let me borrow her NanoBox Duo and that along with a Maxspect Ethereal jury rigged on the most ghettofabulous light stand is what is lighting the temporary holding tank at the moment. 

IMG_20180503_083822.thumb.jpg.c484e195ca3fb940ad45aba7c4f3bab8.jpg

 

I now have netting and one glass pane covering the 40B but the glass panes are from my living room end tables 😄

Also - Calleigh managed to jump in the tank the first night so I'm lucky that she didn't break the glass. She's curious even now but I think she learnt her lesson not to walk on top of the tank. Maybe. Hopefully.

IMG_20180504_180944.thumb.jpg.120a1869dfd566519ecf5ef6e6f47290.jpg

 

IMG_20180504_111548.thumb.jpg.f6adc9892d50ab2e6ec40eb552202ae6.jpg

 

This is Bumble. He was the size of a paper pin when Live Aquaria shipped him to me. At the time of the move I had 2 gobies, Maria and I could not find even a single one when we caught the other fish and emptied the tank. But when we were scooping out all the dirty nasty sand and detritus to fully empty the tank I saw this little guy sitting in cold nasty water for I don't know how long - at least 12 hours. 

IMG_20180505_201058.thumb.jpg.713d428e05f0ef5733cdb54fd5d3679b.jpg

 

That was a happy find.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

We have been keeping Sansa locked in our room with us at night for the last week until her curiosity over the new tank subsides.  We are concerned our lights look like convenient landing pads. lol She behaved herself last night which was her first night of freedom since we got the new tank.  These feline youngins are just one  thought away from mischief though 🤣

 

How has your foxface done with corals?  @skoechle doesnt like them, but I do... Thats frequently how our fish/coral/anything goes. lol

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, lkoechle said:

We have been keeping Sansa locked in our room with us at night for the last week until her curiosity over the new tank subsides.  We are concerned our lights look like convenient landing pads. lol She behaved herself last night which was her first night of freedom since we got the new tank.  These feline youngins are just one  thought away from mischief though 🤣

 

How has your foxface done with corals?  @skoechle doesnt like them, but I do... Thats frequently how our fish/coral/anything goes. lol

 

 

I've never had any of the foxface fish I've had mess with my corals.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

kate upton needs about tree fiddy.

 

YNXLy_f-maxage-0.gif

About time you showed up...…………………….we thought you were MIA...……………...

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

kate upton needs about tree fiddy.

 

YNXLy_f-maxage-0.gif

Well, chop down a tree and find out what a fiddy is and I’m sure she’s all yours. 

Share this post


Link to post

Need more information.

 

Mixed reef?

You still have access to a Katropora?

Lighting?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Welcome to the Reefer club!! 

 

Do you you know if Red Sea sells the new sump separately? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, markalot said:

Need more information.

 

Mixed reef?

You still have access to a Katropora?

Lighting?

 

 

Yes, mixed reef. Lots of fish. 

I still have a small colony. Are you shipping yet? :)😁

18 hours ago, Asureef said:

Welcome to the Reefer club!! 

 

Do you you know if Red Sea sells the new sump separately? 

 

 

Hi there! I am not sure if they do, you would also need their new plumbing under the tank if you get the new sump.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

If need be I can, though I have no clue what to use or even where to drop it off.  :)  

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, markalot said:

If need be I can, though I have no clue what to use or even where to drop it off.  🙂

Music to my ears! Thank you, I'll keep you posted. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Happy Monday. 

The nitrogen cycle has been going on too long already IMO. I've never cycled a tank with dry rock so this is both a first and a frustrating first. 3-4 days of ammonia at 2ppm wasn't doing it for me so I threw in the aforementioned Brightwell Xport brick and boom, within 24 hours there was a serious dent in the ammonia. It took another 24 hours for it to go lower, then I added Dr Tim's ammonium chloride to get it up again. It is still taking more than 24 hours to get it back down to nothing so the cycle continues. I am reevaluating my understanding of the cycle through this whole timeline.

 

I'm quite blessed to have friends that give so much of themselves and their time. I already mentioned all that Miss Maria did and continues to do. Then there is Michael, who drove again all the way from Long Island and it took him a little over 3 hours to reach me this time due to an accident. Took him about the same time going back due to another accident. I feel sure that he's going to need a teleporter from now on.

 

So Saturday we finally got the light installed!!! The ceiling is pure concrete which we weren't anticipating or prepared for the last time Michael came over to install it 2 weeks ago. He got carbide drill bits, concrete anchors and it took a lot of work to get it drilled. It's just perfect.

 

IMG_20180611_091403.thumb.jpg.afd2127d07ca5572501f464259def10a.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

The right side scape is pretty much how I want it - the left side is just a pile of old live rock and new rock which will look nothing like this after the cycle is done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Great progress this weekend, what great friends! I've had to battle with a concrete ceiling before, that's no fun 😤

 

I love the rock cove you designed too, lots of great shelves. Curious to see what the rock heap turns into! 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting, all the dry rock. I thought you were a dry rock ‘hater!

Share this post


Link to post

Looking great! Curious why did you go with dry rock?

-Dave

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

I would say dry rock or life rock is the way to go... it gives the tank a little bit of a slow start but it pays off in the end because you are avoiding all sorts of pests and problems. Nice scape!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Looks good so far! 

 

I really like the way that right side looks! 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Great progress this weekend, what great friends! I've had to battle with a concrete ceiling before, that's no fun 😤

 

I love the rock cove you designed too, lots of great shelves. Curious to see what the rock heap turns into! 

Thanks. Yeah, I have branches to work with so some form of a Dong-scape is probably going to happen. :lol:

 

20 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Interesting, all the dry rock. I thought you were a dry rock ‘hater!

Not a hater - just not a lover. And the feeling continues.

 

6 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Looking great! Curious why did you go with dry rock?

-Dave

The shapes of the rocks I managed to get blew me away. The right side cove for example - the bottom rock is a single curved rock from caribsea (Life rock). It is very heavy and I don't really care for the density of it but the shape is gorgeous. The Marco rocks are new shelves that he just  introduced so they make this layering look possible. The very bottom has Stax from 2 little fishies which are flat pieces and perfect for raising up the scape an inch or 2. If I had to evaluate all the different rocks I managed to use the Caribsea shaper were pretty outstanding. Just wish they came in less dense material. 

 

4 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

I would say dry rock or life rock is the way to go... it gives the tank a little bit of a slow start but it pays off in the end because you are avoiding all sorts of pests and problems. Nice scape!

If my ocean rocks came in the shapes that Life rock from Caribsea came in, I would go with the ocean rocks every time. The possibility of pests are there but the natural bacterial slime that comes with those rocks keeps the system healthy. 

 

3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Looks good so far! 

I really like the way that right side looks! 

Thanks!! Your avatar is too cute.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Beautiful!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/12/2018 at 3:09 PM, metrokat said:

Thanks. Yeah, I have branches to work with so some form of a Dong-scape is probably going to happen. :lol:

 

 

Ha!   This made me laugh out loud.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions

×