Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MetroKat's Reefer: Need About Tree Fiddy

metrokat

20 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Well, now you dun did it Kat. Here's what will be the new freshwater tank. M is kind of excited about it since this is going to be our together tank.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Innovative_Marine_NUVO_Black_25_gallon_Aquarium_Nano_Cube_Aquariums_Tanks_20_29_Gallons-Innovative_Marine-0I05529-FIAQNCNTTT-vi.html

Hehehheheheheh

• Haha 2
  • 1 month later...

Happy New Year to everyone. I hope to post more frequently on the forum. Had a few health issues the last few months but I am much better now. Mostly it was a severe lack of B12 and I had to get shots and have to continue taking shots. I didn't know how deeply B12 affects the human body. It is used to make red blood cells which carries oxygen to the body. So a lack of it means fewer RBC and anemia and other stuff. Anyway.

The tank is maturing, I've had a couple of alk related issues which caused necrosis in some corals. Hopefully I will be more vigilant. The Katropora through the alkalinity issues has been growing and coloring up like a boss. That coral amazes me in how resilient it is. I should probably take a top down picture - I haven't done that in forever.

I lost my copperband. She was outcompeted for food by the faster fish. I made a feeding tube contraption but by then she was too weak. 

Lost a wrasse to jumping when I was cleaning the tank and did not notice.

All is not doom and gloom however - the reeftank is for the most part smooth sailing.

My cat has her own instagram now - she's too much, if you want to follow it is @daily_calleigh

The planted tank has been quite fun and challenging at the same time. I also set up a Betta tank. 

• Like 9

Kat, everything looks great.

What is this B12 deficiency I’m hearing about?

Have you gone vegan? Sorry if I’m being too direct 😑

I’m having my bloodwork done tomorrow .If Im B12 deficient Im gonna start grilling my fish....starting with my clowns.lol

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, metrokat said:

Happy New Year to everyone. I hope to post more frequently on the forum. Had a few health issues the last few months but I am much better now. Mostly it was a severe lack of B12 and I had to get shots and have to continue taking shots. I didn't know how deeply B12 affects the human body. It is used to make red blood cells which carries oxygen to the body. So a lack of it means fewer RBC and anemia and other stuff. Anyway.

The tank is maturing, I've had a couple of alk related issues which caused necrosis in some corals. Hopefully I will be more vigilant. The Katropora through the alkalinity issues has been growing and coloring up like a boss. That coral amazes me in how resilient it is. I should probably take a top down picture - I haven't done that in forever.

I lost my copperband. She was outcompeted for food by the faster fish. I made a feeding tube contraption but by then she was too weak. 

Lost a wrasse to jumping when I was cleaning the tank and did not notice.

All is not doom and gloom however - the reeftank is for the most part smooth sailing.

My cat has her own instagram now - she's too much, if you want to follow it is @daily_calleigh

The planted tank has been quite fun and challenging at the same time. I also set up a Betta tank. 

Queen Calleigh on her throne! :lol: Sorry about the fish losses but the tank is looking good.  And the planted tank!  I love bettas, I have two of them and my husband has two little girl bettas.  And otos are awesome, I had one live about 3-4 years on me.  Would love to get some again.

7 hours ago, Andreww said:

I’m having my bloodwork done tomorrow .If Im B12 deficient Im gonna start grilling my fish....starting with my clowns.lol

It may not be something they test for routinely, but it may depend on the practice.  I'm sure the clowns are hoping not haha.

Snow_Phoenix

Sorry to hear over the fish losses. 😞 

As for the B12 deficiency, can you get B-complex vitamins OTC in the US? I take B-complex supplements everyday - but in my case, it was a congenital issue (I naturally have very low levels of B6 & B12 in the body) and I am borderline anemic too. Daily intake of B-complex vitamins helps to boost up my B6 & B12 levels, so just wondering if you could take those (as opposed to shots, which is painful and inconvenient). 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Andreww said:

Hey Andrew, I was plant based for a long time but I did cheat often so not sure why suddenly my B12 plummeted. They don't routinely check for NEW or Vit D so ask for that specifically. I'm on prescription strength Vitamin D. 50K units once a week.

8 hours ago, markalot said:

Glad to hear you are feeling better!  The Katropora is amazingly tough! 

Sure is! Your colony looks fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Queen Calleigh on her throne! :lol: Sorry about the fish losses but the tank is looking good.  And the planted tank!  I love bettas, I have two of them and my husband has two little girl bettas.  And otos are awesome, I had one live about 3-4 years on me.  Would love to get some again.

It may not be something they test for routinely, but it may depend on the practice.  I'm sure the clowns are hoping not haha.

I have a school of Otos they're so cute. I got a neat fish - Scarlet Badis. He eats live foods so I'm hatching BBS. Very interesting personality. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Sorry to hear over the fish losses. 😞 

As for the B12 deficiency, can you get B-complex vitamins OTC in the US? I take B-complex supplements everyday - but in my case, it was a congenital issue (I naturally have very low levels of B6 & B12 in the body) and I am borderline anemic too. Daily intake of B-complex vitamins helps to boost up my B6 & B12 levels, so just wondering if you could take those (as opposed to shots, which is painful and inconvenient). 

Hi Snow, no OTC will not work for me. My body is unable to absorb B12 from either my diet or supplements. Basically my stomach won't absorb it. It's going to be injections for me from now on. They taught me how to inject myself at the doctor's but I have yet to try it so fingers crossed. Thanks for checking in.  

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
Snow_Phoenix
3 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Hi Snow, no OTC will not work for me. My body is unable to absorb B12 from either my diet or supplements. Basically my stomach won't absorb it. It's going to be injections for me from now on. They taught me how to inject myself at the doctor's but I have yet to try it so fingers crossed. Thanks for checking in.  

Sorry to hear that, Kat. Hope it all works out well for you. *hugs* 

• Like 1

Now you scare me Kat. Not really but...still...

Gotta request some vit. D as well as B12 test tomorrow along with the others.

Just so we are clear I was not making fun , cuz I’ve been plant based since January of last year but very strict. Like annoying my wife strict lol

She’s come around though and now cooks for all of us the same and she’s 90% plant based as well... Kids aren’t complaining either. 

Ok I’m done.

Hope you’re feeling better and don’t poke yourself too often😁

• Like 1
5 hours ago, metrokat said:

I have a school of Otos they're so cute. I got a neat fish - Scarlet Badis. He eats live foods so I'm hatching BBS. Very interesting personality. 

Scarlet badis are such beautiful little gems!  I've wanted to try one for years but the need for live foods always had me hesitating. 

Sucks you have to do injections that but I hope it's not long before you feel comfortable with it.  When I was learning to give them (to others, not myself lol), it was scary and then I did it and was like, oh that wasn't that bad.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Andreww said:

Now you scare me Kat. Not really but...still...

Gotta request some vit. D as well as B12 test tomorrow along with the others.

Just so we are clear I was not making fun , cuz I’ve been plant based since January of last year but very strict. Like annoying my wife strict lol

She’s come around though and now cooks for all of us the same and she’s 90% plant based as well... Kids aren’t complaining either. 

Ok I’m done.

Hope you’re feeling better and don’t poke yourself too often😁

B12 test for you for sure!

Add nutritional yeast in your food, like sprinkle it on salads, if you make soup add it in there, it adds a nutty cheesy flavor and is full of B12.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Scarlet badis are such beautiful little gems!  I've wanted to try one for years but the need for live foods always had me hesitating.

I've never had an issue with Badis badis not eating pellets, flakes or frozen foods. I'll be getting my first freshwater shipment soon Kat. I thought it was a pain in the ass to do marine, this freshwater is a whole new can of worms. Gotta know where to get what the cheapest.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I've never had an issue with Badis badis not eating pellets, flakes or frozen foods. I'll be getting my first freshwater shipment soon Kat. I thought it was a pain in the ass to do marine, this freshwater is a whole new can of worms. Gotta know where to get what the cheapest.

Isnt freshwater just filling up a container with hose water and tossing shit in? 

• Haha 3
24 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Isnt freshwater just filling up a container with hose water and tossing shit in? 

No Harry, that's a swimming pool.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
Christopher Marks

I'm so glad you're feeling better @metrokat, what a scary thing! Cheers to a healthy 2019 for us all, 2018 was a rough road 🥂❤️.

Your freshwater planted tanks look so fun, I may have to join in soon, Courtney got me a Mini Complete Tank for Xmas 🙂! Always great to get a reef update as well, it's looking good! 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Good to know!  I might give them a try one of these days.  They're so cute and pretty!

9 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I'm so glad you're feeling better @metrokat, what a scary thing! Cheers to a healthy 2019 for us all, 2018 was a rough road 🥂❤️.

Your freshwater planted tanks look so fun, I may have to join in soon, Courtney got me a Mini Complete Tank for Xmas 🙂! Always great to get a reef update as well, it's looking good! 

2018 sucked.  Glad it's over with now lol.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

My little guys is so cool, I enjoy watching him but he's so cryptic and camouflages well so it takes some detective work to find him in the plants.

14 hours ago, Andreww said:

🧐

7A686E9B-4103-482E-8EDD-49B364FBFF67.jpeg

That's just the right CO2 but it need trimming

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

😍

I saw your tank on IG! Yes FW is a whole other world of fascinating stuff. Dive in!

• Like 1
On 10/29/2018 at 11:59 AM, mwhitelock said:

Been following this on Instagram- thank god I only have 8 pages to catch up on! 😉

This is me. Only it's ten pages now. Of course there was a time when ten pages on Kat's thread only covered about five days :lol:

The tank looks beautiful Kat and I love the new FW tank. I have Otos in my 90g FW and have always loved them. They started tiny but hey're about four inches long now after years of growth 😮

I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope the injections work out! 

• Like 2
On 1/10/2019 at 1:10 AM, teenyreef said:

This is me. Only it's ten pages now. Of course there was a time when ten pages on Kat's thread only covered about five days :lol:

The tank looks beautiful Kat and I love the new FW tank. I have Otos in my 90g FW and have always loved them. They started tiny but hey're about four inches long now after years of growth 😮

I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope the injections work out! 

Thanks Teeny. Getting a wrasse from DD today and some freshwater fishes! The 10G will be crowded and I like it like that. 😄

• Like 3