Pod Your Reef

MP10 or Tunze 6055?

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

4 minutes ago, CrazyEyes said:

Icecap gyre 1k. Love mine in my nuvo 20.

I've been considering that one, how is the build quality?

Build quality of the controller is crap, I can barely see the screen on mine there's so many dead pixels now.  I would not complain if it was cheap but it wasn't.  I'd say MP10 is the best bet, pump out of the tank.  Tunze's are fine pumps as well.

How did you narrow it down to these two powerheads? I personally just added an aqamai KPS to my IM20 and am very pleased. It moves enough water for my application and is dead silent which is a must for me, plus it has a very small footprint. I would definitely recommend it and it is cheaper then those options. 

1 minute ago, Zach W said:

How did you narrow it down to these two powerheads? I personally just added an aqamai KPS to my IM20 and am very pleased. It moves enough water for my application and is dead silent which is a must for me, plus it has a very small footprint. I would definitely recommend it and it is cheaper then those options. 

I've heard the android app for it doesn't work well. 

Just now, hydrogalaxy said:

I've heard the android app for it doesn't work well. 

Ah I see, I cant speak to that as I have an Iphone. I didn't have any setup issues but I did read on hear that another user with an android struggled with the app interface. That's a shame thought because it seems great so far

Both are great pumps in terms of flow. The better choice may depend on your aquascape.

While not quite a direct comparison, I started out with an xf230 gyre in my 24g (24x16x16).  Loved flow.  My aquascape is a bit tall though. And eventually there was no way to redirect the broad stream of flow from the gyre in a way the didn't blast the stylo (causing the polyps to stay partially retracted). For a while I got away with running just one propeller instead of two. But as the coral grew further I found myself turning the gyre down so low that the rest of the tank wasn't getting quite enough flow.

I recently swapped out the xf230 with a tunze 6040. Great pump. Great flow. And if desired, great at creating a resonant wave.

If my aquascape were lower, and didn't put my corals in the direct path of the initial blast of output, the gyre would still be my no. 1 choice.

Since my scape is tall, the smaller size of the 6040 ... along with it's less broad output stream ... gives me more flexibility in where I place the powerhead.

Bottom line: both produce great flow for a 25g. Let your aquascape and desired level of control determine which one will be suit your needs.

• Like 1