ReefCleaners.org

ricordea splitting or sick

ihglifelol

ihglifelol

few days ago , I got a ricordea florida with 3 polyps on a live rock piece. 2 out of the 3 polyps had double mouths. The ricordea is closing a bit and randomly opens and randomly closes fully without showing tentacles. it mostly stays semi closed. My main guess about the behavior is that it is splitting because 2 out of the three had two mouths. is it splitting 😄 or sick 😞

hes is white with yellow tentacles. and has been doing well, and well at catching spare foods. which include brine

i hope he is splitting :). maybe eating so much is making him split fast 😄

he has only been doing for a day so ya

is he splitting and if yes, how long does it take

mitten_reef

I've never seen ric florida with "white" base, so I'm gonna go with SICK.  It could be due to too much light, or not enough food, or just unhealthy from the seller, etc. 

WIth regards to splitting, it's pretty much environmental and, possibly, stress related.  Until you see them stretching, one healthy colony can have multiple mouths arrangement for quite some time before splitting.  

The multi-color one is a single connected colony, so is most of the bright green.

41062187021_b055bf2b5e_c.jpg

ihglifelol

i get that answer a lot. its a hybrid 😮 store has multiple of them and i asked them about mine and they said mine was raised by a single little polyp

was recently glued to the rock and a part of a head wasn't full attached to the rock, when it retracted, more of it was getting attached, maybe trying to fully attached itself I only had it for 3 days so its maybe preparing itself

7 minutes ago, ihglifelol said:

20180530_165621.jpg

20180530_165625.jpg

Looks pretty badly bleached to me. :sad: You could try a Lugol's iodine dip and put it in a low light, low flow area to see if it will recover.

• Like 1
ihglifelol

he is trying to fully attach to the rock, he is eating fine and i see more of his stem attaching to the rock, probably pisses that my LFS raged his stem off the rock