inTank Media Baskets

fish disappeared in 30 minute span

NanoTrav

So I had a percula with very bad ich. I made the mistake of thinking I could beat ich with water changes and cleaning. Anyway I went to sleep last night thinking he would be dead in the morning and I would take him out and start the fallow. He looked very bad. I woke up this morning and checked and he was swimming around and off the sand bed! I had a cup of coffee and went back to watch him. Not a trace of him. I have a screen top but still looked around the tank. I made a huge mess and picked up every rock. The only other livestock are snails, corals and a blue hermit. I've checked the back compartments and NOTHING! It's only a 14g. How does a fish disappear that fast.

Hi, what type of tank is it?  AIO, do you have a HOB Filter?  I unfortunately found one of my peppermint shrimp that was over a year old on top of my filter floss in my second chamber in a bio cube.  No idea how he got over there.

Not that you have not checked, I've also had my clown get in my first chamber which is an overflow chamber.  I hope you find him.  Sorry about this..

• Like 1

My male clown got into the first chamber twice - first time we looked for two days, finally used a flashlight to check the back chambers and there he was on the bottom. I had looked back there at least 10 times without a flashlight and never saw him. Hoping you find yours alive & well. (This was 4 years ago, Rick is still well - but hasn't made the jump again).

I looked in the back with a flashlight a few times. I'm so mystified right now. I'm okay with him being dead sadly. He was in rough shape. It's just so odd that he looked better and was swimming in the open as opposed to on the sandbed last night and then disappeared in just 30 minutes. I'm gonna drain some water from the back to check but I don't see how he could make it past the media rack and get to the bottom.

• Sad 1

I had one of my clownfish jump into the back chamber with the return pump. Swam under and into the 2nd chamber and was hiding in the area where the media rack was. Took me about 15 minutes to figure that out. 

• Like 1

Are there any holes in the LR that the clown could have wedged itself into.  My healthy clown is forever trying to find a new hole to investigate and occasionally makes me search the tank for him just to find him in a hole in the LR.  I'd think a fish with ick might be even more inclined to go hole searching for a good scratch.  Just a thought 🙂  Good luck!

• Like 1

Sometimes when they are just about to die they have a burst of energy and seem fine.  That’s when he jumped most likely, sorry to hear he did not make it.

11 minutes ago, Flexin said:

Sometimes when they are just about to die they have a burst of energy and seem fine.  That’s when he jumped most likely, sorry to hear he did not make it.

I work in a nursing home and people are like this too. Except for the jumping part 😀

• Wow 1
Sexy Shrimp
12 minutes ago, NanoTrav said:

I work in a nursing home and people are like this too. Except for the jumping part 😀

I was just about to say it's like when someone comes out of a coma all animated in ER and then croak...

On 5/30/2018 at 1:20 PM, NanoTrav said:

Well, now I have a goal for when I'm old and on my deathbed.

On 5/30/2018 at 11:01 AM, NanoTrav said:

Mystery solved. He was under the return pump, not alive. Really don't know how he got into the third chamber.

When my 2 clowns were fighting to see who was who, one of them jumped into the 3rd chamber and kinda got sucked up.  It happens.  it is weird though.  Took me a bit to find him.

I had two clowns that disappeared from my tank too. Never found them. They were eating fine and then suddenly they’re gone. They probably died somehow and the worms took care of the body.