SaltCritters.com

BioCube 14 College Reef- New shrimp!

mtgmichaelg

Tank looks amazing!!! I’m impressed with your dedication to keep a reef tank in the dorm. When I was in the dorm it was enough of a struggle to figure out how to cook everything in the microwave; this really takes things to the next level!!

9 hours ago, mtgmichaelg said:

New Light and new fish!

I have upgraded to the AI prime HD from the kessil a150 sky blue. I really wanted to be able to control the spectrum on the tank and the older kessil model did not allow me to. Now everything is blue! I also got a second clownfish to partner up with the one I already had. After a little bit of aggression, they got over their quarrels and are best buds now. 

Also, does anyone else have zoas that just grow and others that haven't grown at all? The fruit loops and radioactive dragon eyes that I have have been growing a lot while the PP eaters haven't grown at all. Any tips for getting stubborn zoas to grow. 

IMG_7380.thumb.JPG.31525d07ef2fd7f70f472732c73d26f8.JPG 

IMG_9236.thumb.JPG.179a1fcf43b324bfafd1b765f854dba5.JPG

IMG_1616.thumb.JPG.a4304a665e16120b3494deef69cd31f8.JPG

IMG_5664.thumb.JPG.11f892312f544f2d852501b36afc38f6.JPG

Zoas can be finicky sometimes. Hopefully they will settle in and decide to grow eventually. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Edited photo, but who doesn't like a good pop. I got some new corals from a friend since my last update. Encrusting monti, red digi, bubblegum digi, spongodes, and bird of paradise. 

Nice to have some colorful sps in the tank and hopefully everything continues to grow! 

IMG_7685.thumb.JPG.b83d33a455ea5511e51a932cf9402405.JPG

• Like 5
  • Wow 2

Looks great! No tips on the zoa growth, sorry. My zoas stretch in my Biocube under my stock lights... apparently not bright enough. Your trumpet corals look amazing!

Ah wow, just realized I was looking at your older post. Those new pics are incredible!!! Great detail. 

• Like 1
WindyCityReefer.

The tank looks fantastic! It is awesome to see fellow college students taking on a full blown reef.

In terms of the zoas, where do you have them placed in the system? High/low? Like mentioned earlier, zoas can be finicky. Keep up with the water stability and they'll start taking off in no time. 

• Like 1
On 11/25/2018 at 11:18 PM, WindyCityReefer. said:

The tank looks fantastic! It is awesome to see fellow college students taking on a full blown reef.

In terms of the zoas, where do you have them placed in the system? High/low? Like mentioned earlier, zoas can be finicky. Keep up with the water stability and they'll start taking off in no time. 

I have them up high mostly. It looks like the ones that we giving me a hard time are starting to grow now, I see a new polyp budding up 👍

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The newest coral! Kryptonite bounce from aqua sd’s live sale. Kinda a weird mushroom but it was cheaper and I hope it grows out to be an awesome bounce. CB379355-7070-4C9B-9003-24F802FD061B.thumb.jpeg.72697c67e860baaaa1098a9f9e715881.jpeg3640E31A-0A9F-4C9E-93FA-0CCC1DE6C9C5.thumb.jpeg.ef984cfb5c81560ca3e0db030c712a1d.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I never knew peppermint shrimp were such interactive animals. I always thought they were boring compared to cleaner shrimp but this little guy is always out dancing and jumps onto my hand when I put it in the tank. He is awesome and there are no more aiptasia!

image.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

That's great your peppermint shrimp took care of your aptasia! Your nano reef is beautiful @mtgmichaelg, I love the trump coral collection.

How has that new kryptonite bounce mushroom been doing?

Thanks! I will have to take a close up of it. It is growing all these frilly tentacles on the edges. Not quite a stunner yet, but we will see!

On 2/18/2019 at 6:30 PM, Christopher Marks said:

That's great your peppermint shrimp took care of your aptasia! Your nano reef is beautiful @mtgmichaelg, I love the trump coral collection.

How has that new kryptonite bounce mushroom been doing?

Not a great photo but here you go!

578335465_ScreenShot2019-02-25at10_39_05PM.thumb.png.a42584ec17e07f581913510e49dd6220.png